FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities
Thread started 23 Jun 2008 (Monday) 22:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bham
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

I will be visiting Washington in August from the 1st to the 12th. I am looking for some locations to visit and shoot. I have a few ideas but I want to put together a itenarary. All suggestions will be helpful, especially for interesting events etc happening during that time period. I plan on going to Seattle, the San Juan Island, maybe Grey Harbor, Columbia River Gorge, and the Tri-Ciites.

Thanks in advance.

Post #1, Jun 23, 2008 22:24:36

"If every person who owns a camera is a photographer, then similarly everyone with a hammer is a carpenter. A tool doesn't mean squat unless you know how to use it."- me

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
speedypalomino
Joined Apr 2008
147 posts
Lynden,Wa
[MORE/SHARE]

Snoqualmie Falls is a nice stop,,, almost any ride on the SanJuan ferries is good,,, Seattle has a pretty nice Zoo,,, Mt.Baker up where I live never disapoints on nice days,,, lotsa nice places in the Pacific Northwest,,, I suggest a trip to a Barns&Nobel book store, there are spicific books on the photo opprotunities around here,,,, and if ya like cows,,, come to Lynden!!!

Bear

Post #2, Jun 24, 2008 00:33:13

Bear.... :) proud UNITED STATES MARINE!
40D, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 55-250, 430exII, R-Strap

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

speedypalomino wrote in post #5780419external link
Snoqualmie Falls is a nice stop,,, almost any ride on the SanJuan ferries is good,,, Seattle has a pretty nice Zoo,,, Mt.Baker up where I live never disapoints on nice days,,, lotsa nice places in the Pacific Northwest,,, I suggest a trip to a Barns&Nobel book store, there are spicific books on the photo opprotunities around here,,,, and if ya like cows,,, come to Lynden!!!

Bear

Yeah I have done the ferry trip when I was a little kid years ago when we lived near Olympia. I have a few ideas but not many specifics because my last visits where really before I got into photography.

Any special place at Snoqualmie?

Anything special/unique about the Seattle Zoo?

Post #3, Jun 24, 2008 01:39:33

"If every person who owns a camera is a photographer, then similarly everyone with a hammer is a carpenter. A tool doesn't mean squat unless you know how to use it."- me

RyanCrane
Joined Jan 2007
572 posts
O' Fallon, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Im assuming you will be primarly on the west coast?

Post #4, Jun 24, 2008 11:32:18

Photographer US Air Force
I have some Canon Stuff. It takes good pictures.

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

RyanCrane wrote in post #5782994external link
Im assuming you will be primarly on the west coast?

No actually I will be staying some in the tri-cities area, in Richland (with family). So ideas for things in that area, and on that side of the state are really welcome as well.

Post #5, Jun 24, 2008 12:00:13

sponsored links
RyanCrane
Joined Jan 2007
572 posts
O' Fallon, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmmm. Tri-cities is kind of tough. Its really deserty. There are some cool gorges, kind of along the highway (82 I think) headed south.. but yeah most of the cool places in WA are on the west coast. I will suggest, however, if you are willing to take the drive, the Oregon coast is one of the coolest places to visit and take pictures..

Post #6, Jun 25, 2008 08:47:53

Photographer US Air Force
I have some Canon Stuff. It takes good pictures.

Bobarazzo
Joined Sep 2006
25 posts
Port Angeles, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hoh Rain Forest, Ruby Beach, Lake Crescent are just a few places on the Olympic peninsula that you should see if you have the time.

Post #7, Jun 25, 2008 09:14:05

Canon 30D
Battery Grip BG-E2
Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM
Canon 70-200 f2.8L USM
Canon Extender EF 1.4X
Sekonic L-608
Metz 54MZ-3 / SCA 3102
Bogen 680B monopod
Bogen 3221

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

RyanCrane wrote in post #5789046external link
Hmmm. Tri-cities is kind of tough. Its really deserty. There are some cool gorges, kind of along the highway (82 I think) headed south.. but yeah most of the cool places in WA are on the west coast. I will suggest, however, if you are willing to take the drive, the Oregon coast is one of the coolest places to visit and take pictures..

That sounds good. Anything specific, or just what you have seen from the highway. I will be heading down that Interstate when we head towards Portland to see some sights.

Post #8, Jul 08, 2008 16:42:46

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Bobarazzo wrote in post #5789186external link
Hoh Rain Forest, Ruby Beach, Lake Crescent are just a few places on the Olympic peninsula that you should see if you have the time.

Anything specific in the Rain Forrest? I did see a site with some info about Lake Crescent and I am definitely going to try and go for a couple days to the Olympic peninsula.

Post #9, Jul 08, 2008 16:43:56

hoff6754
Joined Jan 2005
53 posts
Spokane, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Drive along I-84 towards Portland. All sorts of waterfalls in the area. especially if you divert onto the old highway parts. Also the Poplar tree farm outside of Umatilla. There is also a Stone henge replica on the way.

Post #10, Jul 09, 2008 23:16:21 as a reply to bham's post 1 day earlier.

"Start at the beginning and when you get to the end...stop."
Canon 40D | 300D | 28-300 3.5L | 28-135 IS | EF-S 18-55mm | 80-200mm | 50mm | 580 EX II

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep I plan on stopping at Maryhill Musuem to see the musuem and the stonehenge.

I am looking forward to that drive along I-84 now, thanks for the info.

Post #11, Jul 10, 2008 10:13:23

sponsored links
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

In Eastern Washington, the Dry Falls area is very cool.

You're just catching the very end of Seafair, but could see a pretty cool airshow if you can make it over to Seattle the first weekend.

Post #12, Jul 10, 2008 21:12:22 as a reply to bham's post 10 hours earlier.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

bham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
216 posts
Birmingham, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

I will actually be flying into Seattle on the 1st and was planning on heading over to the Tri-Cities on Sunday, so I will have Saturday in the area. Tell me more about Seafair.

Post #13, Jul 10, 2008 22:32:34

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

The best place to see what Seafair is all about is their website -- www.seafair.comexternal link .

That weekend (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd) is a huge party on Lake Washington. There's an air show that goes on around the boat races. The Blue Angels are a big draw, but there are lots of other great pilots there, too.

Post #14, Jul 10, 2008 22:36:33 as a reply to bham's post 3 minutes earlier.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Rutha73
Joined Apr 2007
571 posts
Mesa, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

You might try Palouse falls, I never went to them but have seen pics of them. http://www.parks.wa.go​v ...electedpark=Palouse​+Fallsexternal link I think that is out in the Tri-Cities area

Post #15, Jul 10, 2008 22:54:11 as a reply to ibdb's post 17 minutes earlier.

~Jake AZPOTNexternal link
Rebel XTi, Kit lens, Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 DG, Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DG "Macro", Manfrotto 3021 BPRO, Manfrotto 322RC2, BG-E3 grip, 580 EXII
flickrexternal link
Picasaexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Visiting Washington State, recommend photo locations
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES