Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 26 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 05:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Digital Photography with Linux: Reference Guide

Amamba
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
SE MI
Sep 04, 2009 14:06 as a reply to post 8562598 |  #31

Every year or so, I start playing around with Linux, mainly out of sheer curiosity rather than anything else - I honestly think XP is the best home user OS I've ever dealt with, even though most other Windows flavors were total or partial POS...

My previous experience with Linux was mixed, at best. Some distros didn't run well at all, some ran sort of, I was never able to get FlashPlayer or Shockwave working, printing was always a challenge, sound was a lottery, etc.. I guess the longest one was Ubuntu 6.x, just as a backup measure until I grew tired of video screw ups on my ancient Riva TNT2 card, fighting with Grub's default boot list after each upgrade, and so on, and removed it completely.

Well, I am now on my 4th day of trying OpenSUSE 11.1, and it surely looks like there was a lot of progress over the last couple of years. It's much easier to install and configure than any of the past distros I tried, it's very stable, and doing simple things is finally getting, well, simple.

So, I found this thread... the selection is huge, but what I am really interested in is not just the list of available programs, but the personal opinions of people who used them. What's a better Raw program (I tend towards UFraw). What's a better viewer ? How does Gimp compare to Krita ? Was anyone able to run PS7 under Wine ? Any tips & tricks ? And the most important question - is there anything on the Linux side, photography wise, that is unavailable in Windows or would cost major $ ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear Listexternal link

sponsored links
cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Sep 05, 2009 00:53 |  #32

Amamba wrote in post #8584292external link
So, I found this thread... the selection is huge, but what I am really interested in is not just the list of available programs, but the personal opinions of people who used them. What's a better Raw program (I tend towards UFraw). What's a better viewer ? How does Gimp compare to Krita ? Was anyone able to run PS7 under Wine ? Any tips & tricks ? And the most important question - is there anything on the Linux side, photography wise, that is unavailable in Windows or would cost major $ ?

Which software is the best for the job is a matter of personal preference, really. There are tons of imaging software on Linux but I only listed the most compelling solutions here. All these are good at what they are made for.

To process raw files I also like to use UFraw and then finish the work in Gimp, but I know many people like more integrated workflow solutions or application that mimics Lightroom. RawTherapee does that. Some other people only swear by Bibble. When it comes to integrated workflow, digiKam is probably the most complete solution. That said, all the open source Raw converters are based on the same DCraw library.

Krita goals are quite different from Gimp, so they are not direct competitors (unlike Gimp and Photoshop for instance). Krita focuses on painting whereas Gimp focuses on image retouching. However Krita can be of interest to photographers for its native 32-bit/channel support. Gimp is still 8-bit/channel only, although 16-bit is progressively been implemented as we speak (partially coming in Gimp 2.8 and hopefully complete by v3.0).

For deep color depth support, Cinepaint is also an alternative, but the user interface is far from being friendly (it's actually a fork of Gimp from the 90s).

Photoshop 7 works very well through Wine. My wife is using it and has never complained about it.

As for your most important question, softwares developed for Linux are mostly all open source applications made to run on any Unix system (we call that POSIX compliance) rather than being restricted to a single OS. More and more of these are ported over to Windows too nowadays (the whole KDE 4 environment -including digiKam and Krita-, Gimp, UFRaw, etc.).

You could run most of these software on Windows too, but they are much better integrated to Unix systems and desktop environments as they are built for them in the first place.

As far as money is concerned, well I'm sure you already know open source applications are FOC. That you won't be forced to buy an upgrade of your Raw application because you got a new, unsupported, camera.

All that said, just use whatever you're comfortable with and does the job. What matters is the end result, not the tools you used.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

Amamba
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
SE MI
Sep 05, 2009 09:24 |  #33

cedm wrote in post #8587081external link
Photoshop 7 works very well through Wine. My wife is using it and has never complained about it.

I am getting an error message when I try to run PS under wine, something about not being able to load personalization settings.

I tried DigiKam. A very nice application, however CR2 files that were underexposed looked weird when exposure was bumped up, with lighter areas getting sort of "neon glow" effect. Had the same thing in UFraw although less profound. It may be that I just don't know how to do it right yet, I get spoiled by DPP.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear Listexternal link

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Sep 06, 2009 03:09 |  #34

Amamba wrote in post #8588295external link
I am getting an error message when I try to run PS under wine, something about not being able to load personalization settings.

You may need to tweak wine settings to make it work. Or you can use crossoverexternal link instead, which will take care of the configuration for you.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Dec 09, 2009 08:32 as a reply to post 5883880 |  #35

Waking this thread up a bit...

Just added Rapid Photo Downloaderexternal link to the list.

This application is dedicated to importing photos from the camera to the computer. That's all it does, but it does it well and with truly useful options!

Main features:

• Generates meaningful, user configurable file and folder names
  • Downloads images from multiple devices simultaneously
  • Backs up images as they are downloaded
  • Easy to configure and use
  • Runs under Gnome, KDE and other Linux desktop environments
  • Available in twelve languages
  • Program configuration and use is fully documented

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Dec 14, 2009 22:25 |  #36

How do you Linux users upgrade your cameras firmware?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickrexternal link

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Dec 15, 2009 00:01 |  #37

ions wrote in post #9199264external link
How do you Linux users upgrade your cameras firmware?

The same way as any operating system:

1. download the firmware from Canon website
  2. copy the file to the CF card
  3. turn on the camera
The tricky part is that Canon provides the firmware as an self extracting executable for Windows or as a dmg image file for Mac OS. The firmware itself is the same, but are encapsulated in two different archive formats.

To make it short, if you download the Windows version, use 'wine' to extract the firmware. If you download the Mac OS version, 'use' dmg2img and follow onscreen instructions.

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Dec 15, 2009 00:08 |  #38

Ah. Ok. I'll look into dmg2img. No interest in Wine/Windows. Thanks!

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickrexternal link

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Bradenton, FL
Dec 15, 2009 13:01 |  #39

ions wrote in post #9199913external link
Ah. Ok. I'll look into dmg2img. No interest in Wine/Windows. Thanks!

Wine is in no way connected to Windows, it's just a compatibility layer for Windows' executable format.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Galleryexternal link

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Dec 16, 2009 00:05 |  #40

Wine is connected to Windows in that it is a, well, as you pointed out, "compatibility layer for Windows' executable format." When I left Windows behind 7 years ago I wanted to leave it all behind. Even use of software that "emulates" their API is dirty to me. I know to most rational people it's not a big deal, to me it is.

flickrexternal link

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Bradenton, FL
Dec 16, 2009 01:05 |  #41

ions wrote in post #9206799external link
software that "emulates" their API.

lol. Wine stands for "Wine is not an emulator." Just sayin'

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
My Galleryexternal link

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Dec 16, 2009 08:48 |  #42

Thus the quotes around it but what it does do is create that extra layer, like an emulator. The semantics around the splitting of technical hairs is not a concern to me because, pedantic quibbling aside, the point is I really don't want to use anything that is MS related. A matter of personal preference.

flickrexternal link

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Jan 21, 2010 10:58 as a reply to post 5883880 |  #43

Added "dispcalGUI" in the Color Management category.

dispcalGUI is a GUI frontend for several utilities from the open source color management system Argyll CMSexternal link by Graeme Gill, specifically dispcal, dispread, colprof and dispwin, which when used together allow you to calibrate and profile your display using a measurement device.

http://hoech.net/dispc​alGUI/external link

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Bradenton, FL
Jan 22, 2010 20:20 |  #44

That's awesome. Maybe I'll actually calibrate my screens now...

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
My Galleryexternal link

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
KL, Malaysia
Apr 24, 2010 02:04 as a reply to post 5883880 |  #45

One more raw converter worth giving a try:

Darktable

Darktable is a virtual light table and darkroom for photographers: it manages your digital negatives in a database and lets you view them through a zoomable light table. It also enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.

Editing is fully non-destructive. Released under GPL 3 license. Currently in available in version 0.5, so it's still very much under development.

http://darktable.sourc​eforge.net/external link

sponsored links

38,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Photography with Linux: Reference Guide
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.