Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of July 2008 (Thu)   #1
DavidSR

Default Bounce IR Remote Off Mirror?

I haven't tried this yet, but I know many of you are upset at the fact that you have to use the IR remote in front of the camera for it to work. Can my IR remote be bounced off a mirror and into the IR sensor on the camera? I was thinking of rigging a little mirror in front of it and be able to use my remote from behind it. Just a thought.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2008 (Thu)   #2
Hermes
Goldmember

Default Re: Bounce IR Remote Off Mirror?

It wont be 100% reliable (especially when there's a lot of ambient light) but yes, it will work. It doesn't even have to be a mirror, in a pinch you can use something white and reflective.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2008 (Thu)   #3
DavidSR

Ok, thanks! Didn't know a mirror wasn't the only thing that could be used. It just makes more sense to be able to do something like this.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2008 (Thu)   #4
dekalbSTEEL

Just get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNTY58

and stick it to the front of your camera
Old 3rd of July 2008 (Thu)   #5
recrisp

One night I thought that I'd try to see how it worked with some reflective 'something' to make it do just that.
I used some aluminum foil, I just quickly ripped a small piece off, folded it to where it would reflect, and it worked perfect.
(For the sensor, I ripped a hole for that)
I got it to work 360 degrees, so that told me that my cheap-o RC-1 would be pretty useful.
I plan on (possibly) making a mold of my camera in that area, using that mold to make a positive, the laying a thing piece of Plexiglass over it and heat it with a heat gun, that ought to work fine.
It'll be see-through and reflective at the same time.
I haven't really tested that yet, but, in the case it doesn't work, I'll use some polished aluminum plastic I have, I know that'll work 'cause it's almost identical to the foil I used.
I know, this is a little overkill sounding, but I do have all of the stuff to do all of the above if I want, it's just doing it... heh

Other than that, I also thought of a really quickie way to do this...
You could get a large paperclip, bend it to fit the camera, attach foil, or whatever reflective material you want, and it can be easily placed by into your camera bag afterwards, or, thrown away.

Randy

recrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2008 (Fri)   #6
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSR View Post
Ok, thanks! Didn't know a mirror wasn't the only thing that could be used. It just makes more sense to be able to do something like this.
I bounce my TV/home theater remote off the back wall all the time. I once had a Mitstubishi TV with a flat glass front, that actually would receive BETTER if I pointed the remote to the wall behind me!
Old 7th of July 2008 (Mon)   #7
DavidSR

Thanks for the info. guys! It just seems easier to point the remote from the back in certain situations.