Thread started 03 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 12:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

DavidSR
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,308 posts
Rowlett, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't tried this yet, but I know many of you are upset at the fact that you have to use the IR remote in front of the camera for it to work. Can my IR remote be bounced off a mirror and into the IR sensor on the camera? I was thinking of rigging a little mirror in front of it and be able to use my remote from behind it. Just a thought.

Post #1, Jul 03, 2008 12:24:35

T4i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 3 Vivitar 285HV's and a set of Cactus V5 Triggers!!
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Hermes
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,375 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

It wont be 100% reliable (especially when there's a lot of ambient light) but yes, it will work. It doesn't even have to be a mirror, in a pinch you can use something white and reflective.

Post #2, Jul 03, 2008 12:28:40

DavidSR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,308 posts
Rowlett, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, thanks! Didn't know a mirror wasn't the only thing that could be used. It just makes more sense to be able to do something like this.

Post #3, Jul 03, 2008 12:30:49

T4i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 3 Vivitar 285HV's and a set of Cactus V5 Triggers!!
flickrexternal link

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,793 posts
NIU town, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Just get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B000BNTY58external link

and stick it to the front of your camera

Post #4, Jul 03, 2008 19:05:52

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.comexternal link

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,497 posts
D/FW, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

One night I thought that I'd try to see how it worked with some reflective 'something' to make it do just that.
I used some aluminum foil, I just quickly ripped a small piece off, folded it to where it would reflect, and it worked perfect.
(For the sensor, I ripped a hole for that)
I got it to work 360 degrees, so that told me that my cheap-o RC-1 would be pretty useful.
I plan on (possibly) making a mold of my camera in that area, using that mold to make a positive, the laying a thing piece of Plexiglass over it and heat it with a heat gun, that ought to work fine.
It'll be see-through and reflective at the same time.
I haven't really tested that yet, but, in the case it doesn't work, I'll use some polished aluminum plastic I have, I know that'll work 'cause it's almost identical to the foil I used.
I know, this is a little overkill sounding, but I do have all of the stuff to do all of the above if I want, it's just doing it... heh

Other than that, I also thought of a really quickie way to do this...
You could get a large paperclip, bend it to fit the camera, attach foil, or whatever reflective material you want, and it can be easily placed by into your camera bag afterwards, or, thrown away.

Randy

Post #5, Jul 03, 2008 21:10:59

Gear List
Flickrexternal link

external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidSR wrote in post #5842514external link
Ok, thanks! Didn't know a mirror wasn't the only thing that could be used. It just makes more sense to be able to do something like this.

I bounce my TV/home theater remote off the back wall all the time. I once had a Mitstubishi TV with a flat glass front, that actually would receive BETTER if I pointed the remote to the wall behind me!

Post #6, Jul 04, 2008 07:30:22

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

DavidSR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,308 posts
Rowlett, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the info. guys! It just seems easier to point the remote from the back in certain situations.

Post #7, Jul 07, 2008 08:40:47

flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce IR Remote Off Mirror?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES