Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of July 2008 (Sat)   #1
TheGaffer

Default 5D remote release puzzle

I want to do photography by radio control with my 5D, so I bought a Dunecam ( http://www.dunehaven.com/dunecam.htm )

This has four different ways to release the shutter, so I wasn't expecting difficulty.

First choice would be CHDK I've got a suitable USB connector and the Dunecam can raise a +5v signal down it for this purpose. But CHDK is not available for the 5D: http://grandag.nm.ru/hdk/autobuild/download.htm

Or did I overlook something?

Second choice would be IR (I've got a suitable IR LED). But it seems that the 5D doesn't have IR release, without spending $$$ in an LC5

Or did I overlook something here?

Third choice is a switch (the Dunecam has a relay and can close a circuit), but I would have to construct a custom cable for that...

The fourth choice is to rig a servo to press the shutter button. I would rather avoid that if I can...

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew
TheGaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of July 2008 (Tue)   #2
fxk

Default Re: 5D remote release puzzle

The Dune Cam looks like a control for servos to control the motion of a tripod head. IR is not native to the 5d like it is on the Rebel Series.

The third choice would work - the custom cable is a bit of a problem, as Canon has a patent on the "N3" connector, and is not licensing it (as far as I know) The Canon remotes work by closing a circuit for autofocus only, and a separate circuit for shutter. Power is from camera. The "N3" is 3 conductors - 1 ground and two switching leads.

The idea of a servo to manually trip the shutter is probably not the way you want to go.

Search on e-bay for "wireless remote control canon" and you will find various units that should do the job - make sure they have the "N3" connector - that will work with any non-rebel series Canon DSLRs. I did not see the one I have, but some of them work reasonably well. Also search B&H - I think they carry a generic. Canon is absurdly expensive.

Also check this discussion - same same.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=530784
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=532379

Last edited by fxk : 8th of July 2008 (Tue) at 07:56.
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of July 2008 (Thu)   #3
TheGaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxk View Post
The Dune Cam looks like a control for servos to control the motion of a tripod head.
Yep. I am building a rig to suspend the camera from a kite line.

Quote:
The third choice would work - the custom cable is a bit of a problem, as Canon has a patent on the "N3" connector, and is not licensing it
Yes, but I have found a way round it. Buy a cheap, wired remote from Hong Kong for the princely sum of 2.99 on the 'bay, then cut off the switch, leaving you with an N3 connector, ready wired, to connect into the DuneCam.

All I have to do is wait for the postman to deliver it.

Andrew
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2008 (Fri)   #4
fxk

WooHoo! "Up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful baloon!"
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2008 (Fri)   #5
TheGaffer

Quote:
WooHoo! "Up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful baloon!"
You are thinking of BAP. Balloon Aerial Photography.

I want to do KAP. Kite Aerial Photography.

There is also PAP, where you stick the camera on top of a pole, such as this 15 METER tripod:

http://www.kapshop.com/product_info....roducts_id=114

Andrew