Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of July 2008 (Tue)   #1
goldboughtrue
User is banned from forums

Default ring flash doubles as regular flash?

I'm thinking of getting a Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash for macro. Would that double as a regular flash? I don't have a flash now.
goldboughtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of July 2008 (Tue)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: ring flash doubles as regular flash?

Bounced it'd look the same as a regular flash, so yes, probably in most cases it'd be fine as a general purpose flash too.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2008 (Tue)   #3
PacAce
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: ring flash doubles as regular flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboughtrue View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash for macro. Would that double as a regular flash? I don't have a flash now.
The output from the EM-140 DG is just about equal to what the 40D's built-in flash outputs so I'm not sure what you gain by using that flash instead of the built-in flash unless you were looking for that distinct "shot with a ring flash" look.