Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of January 2005 (Mon)   #1
grapar

Default Power-On problems with G5

I have digital camera G5 with serious problems with power. Camera is not responding when i try to swich it on. After multiple atempts to reinsert batery and press power On switch (left or right) camera sometimes switches on, but it can take 10 or more times (removing and inserting the battery) to respond.
What do you think could be wrong with my camera? When turned on, it istarts working OK, but after several minutes it loses power and shuts down, sometimes with objective (lens) pulled out. I think that the problem has something to do with power.
I tryed with fully charged battery from another G5, but it didnt make much difference. I am intending to take the camera to service.
Is it possible that something is wrong with firmware? I have instaled version 2.0.0.0. Is it possible to restore it to previous firmware (original), if it is, please tell me how to do it and where to get this original firmware?

Thanks
Gregor

Last edited by grapar : 10th of January 2005 (Mon) at 10:29.
grapar is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of January 2005 (Mon)   #2
Ballen Photo

Default Re: Power-On problems with G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapar
I have digital camera G5 with serious problems with power. Camera is not responding when i try to swich it on. After multiple atempts to reinsert batery and press power On switch (left or right) camera sometimes switches on, but it can take 10 or more times (removing and inserting the battery) to respond.
What do you think could be wrong with my camera? When turned on, it istarts working OK, but after several minutes it loses power and shuts down, sometimes with objective (lens) pulled out. I think that the problem has something to do with power.
I tryed with fully charged battery from another G5, but it didnt make much difference. I am intending to take the camera to service.
Is it possible that something is wrong with firmware? I have instaled version 2.0.0.0. Is it possible to restore it to previous firmware (original), if it is, please tell me how to do it and where to get this original firmware?

Thanks
Gregor
Gregor, I'm certainly no expert, but from your description, it sounds like your battery is not making good contact.
You might try cleaning the contacts with an eraser on a pencil. It will reach inside the battery compartment(Clean the contacts on the battery too). Also, make sure none of the contacts are bent or lower than the rest.
Good luck with this problem.
-Bruce

Ballen Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of January 2005 (Tue)   #3
grapar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballen Photo
Gregor, I'm certainly no expert, but from your description, it sounds like your battery is not making good contact.
You might try cleaning the contacts with an eraser on a pencil. It will reach inside the battery compartment(Clean the contacts on the battery too). Also, make sure none of the contacts are bent or lower than the rest.
Good luck with this problem.
-Bruce
I tried like you sad, but it's not working!
Thanks, Gregor
grapar is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of March 2005 (Tue)   #4
jaysmith

I have this exact same problem, it just started after using the camera for 11 months with no problems. Did you solve the problem, I would love to know if you fixed it or not.
Many thanks
jaysmith is offline   Reply With Quote