Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of January 2012 (Fri)   #2071
Petersman

Default Re: Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

I really got to much time on my hands ...
The bushing should be inserted like this, I believe -->
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nt2.jpg (33.4 KB, 297 views)
Petersman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of January 2012 (Fri)   #2072
peter_n
Goldmember

Default Re: Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Now that is nice! And yes you do have too much time on your hands...

Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #2073
soulblighter

Is this Gitzo a good recommendation for someone who does multi-day treks in harsh terrain? I am willing to spend the money(upto 1K) for the lightest tripod+head combo. I am about 1.90 m tall. There are not many tripod options to try out near me.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #2074
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulblighter View Post
Is this Gitzo a good recommendation for someone who does multi-day treks in harsh terrain? I am willing to spend the money(upto 1K) for the lightest tripod+head combo. I am about 1.90 m tall. There are not many tripod options to try out near me.
That is exactly what its good for, however the legs are no longer available new.
Old 29th of February 2012 (Wed)   #2075
2mnycars
Goldmember

ben_r_ thanks for your post! You've helped me and a lot of other people.
DaveL
Toronto
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #2076
Ricku
User is banned from forums

I already have the tripod, and thanks to this review I'm now going to order the markins Q3T! Thank you Ben for this fantastic review.

I'm pretty sure this combo will be good enough to hold my 5D2 + 70-200.
Ricku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #2077
tats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricku View Post
I already have the tripod, and thanks to this review I'm now going to order the markins Q3T! Thank you Ben for this fantastic review.

Rick it will, I have the same set up (well actually a base 1541 non-t) the markins is awesome, well worth the money.

Make sure you get a base plate for the 70-200 and your 5D so you dont ever have to mess around switching.

Feedback/Gear --- Flickr
tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2012 (Thu)   #2078
ben_r_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
ben_r_ thanks for your post! You've helped me and a lot of other people.
DaveL
Toronto
Quote:

Thanks guys. And yes Ricku, it will.
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2079
Ricku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tats View Post
Rick it will, I have the same set up (well actually a base 1541 non-t) the markins is awesome, well worth the money.

Make sure you get a base plate for the 70-200 and your 5D so you dont ever have to mess around switching.
Thank you! I didn't think about that. Will do!
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2080
Ricku

I'm going to order the one with lever release because I like that mechanism better than the screw-knob. But which plates should I get for my camera and 70-200 collar?

This list is confusing me to oblivion. http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/plates.html Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I just saw that it was covered in your review, but I'm still confused. I've been using a ballhead + random plate from Manfrotto since forever..

Last edited by Ricku : 9th of March 2012 (Fri) at 01:44.
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2081
WA Tiger

Quote:

I have the same combo, really good, all fits nice and snug in the bag together...
WA Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2082
WA Tiger

I have to ask though, can anyone tell me if all the "Really Right Stuff" plates fit all Markins ball heads?

Will the 100-400mm RRS lens plate fit the Q3 T Ballhead (lever release) and the RRS 7D camera plate fit the same ball head?

Or should I just stick with matching Markins plates??

Cheers...
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2083
peter_n
Goldmember

I use a RRS plate in my Markins clamps and it fits fine, as do plates from about six other manufacturers. I think if you try a Markins plate in a RRS lever clamp there is a slight mismatch. The dovetail angle and depth is the issue as the Arca-Swiss type QR isn't a dimensional standard. If you get a screw knob clamp it will take just about any plate. I like the Markins clamps and have them on all my ballheads.

Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2084
WA Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
I use a RRS plate in my Markins clamps and it fits fine, as do plates from about six other manufacturers. I think if you try a Markins plate in a RRS lever clamp there is a slight mismatch. The dovetail angle and depth is the issue as the Arca-Swiss type QR isn't a dimensional standard. If you get a screw knob clamp it will take just about any plate. I like the Markins clamps and have them on all my ballheads.
Thats great, thanks for that information what plates do you prefeer, the Markins or the RRS?
Old 9th of March 2012 (Fri)   #2085
ben_r_

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Tiger View Post
I have to ask though, can anyone tell me if all the "Really Right Stuff" plates fit all Markins ball heads?

Will the 100-400mm RRS lens plate fit the Q3 T Ballhead (lever release) and the RRS 7D camera plate fit the same ball head?

Or should I just stick with matching Markins plates??

Cheers...
The Markins lever clamp is adjustable. So once you get it, just adjust it to fit the plates you have. Though you should stick with one brand of plates so you dont have to keep adjusting for variances.