Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #646
mayuka

Default Re: Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Strange indeed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ee8qot3h.jpg (62.9 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg pn5323p9.jpg (135.3 KB, 359 views)
mayuka is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #647
r.kristoffersen

Default Re: Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Awesome thread and a great forum. Inspired by this thread I also decided to purchase Gitzo 1541T as my first real tripod despite the high price tag. Being relatively new to DSLR, just bought my first DSLR in January, and I've been researching different tripod alternatives. After receiving the 1541T I can confirm that I understand why this tripod is so highly recommended. Pure craftsmanship and a top quality product. You certainly get what you pay for with this product. For the time being, I am using a Manfrotto 494 RC2 ball head which I bought together with a Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom. Later on I'm planning to upgrade the ball head to the recommended Markins Q3T and the RRS B2 LR II Clamp. Thanks for great informative advice and all the excellent contributions to the thread.
r.kristoffersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #648
mayuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.kristoffersen View Post
Later on I'm planning to upgrade the ball head to the recommended Markins Q3T and the RRS B2 LR II Clamp. Thanks for great informative advice and all the excellent contributions to the thread.
I'll post a review of the Q3T and M10 with the Novoflex base when I got my G3T. The reseller sais it'll take a week or so...
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #649
gnohz

Mayuka, thanks for taking the trouble to repost the pics! Appreciate it The 1550 is really thin indeed...

Today, I finally got my GT1541!!! All thanks to ben and everyone here I'm waiting for my shipped Q3T and RRS plate to arrive! I've a HUGE hole in my wallet right now, and it's going to take some time to mend
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #650
mayuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
Today, I finally got my GT1541!!! All thanks to ben and everyone here
Can you report how tight the leg angle adjustment is? I got mine a few days ago and I think the legs are pretty stiff to move...
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #651
gnohz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuka View Post
Can you report how tight the leg angle adjustment is? I got mine a few days ago and I think the legs are pretty stiff to move...
Yes, the legs are quite stiff, right from the closed position, all the way to the 1st and 2nd angle adjustment. It was also rather stiff when I tried to bend them the other way to the "traveller" position.

personally I think it's a good thing to be stiff, since they're going to loosen up a bit as you use it. It adds to the stability as well I tried the sample they had in the shop and it's slightly loosened, but still as stable

By the way, does anyone think that it is not as stable when the legs are opened to the 2nd angle adjustment, ie, low position? Seems like it's a bit "bouncy"
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #652
mayuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
By the way, does anyone think that it is not as stable when the legs are opened to the 2nd angle adjustment, ie, low position? Seems like it's a bit "bouncy"
Not if you push it slightly from above before attaching the camera. It seems that the fine tuning of the leg adjustment isn't very precise. I think that's mainly because the leg angle adjustment is so tight.
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #653
gnohz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuka View Post
Not if you push it slightly from above before attaching the camera. It seems that the fine tuning of the leg adjustment isn't very precise. I think that's mainly because the leg angle adjustment is so tight.
I see. I have yet to try it out with my camera as I'm still waiting for the head and clamp
I'll try it out and report back
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #654
mayuka

Here are the photos of the Markins M10 ballhead. Obviously you can't fold the tripod anymore, but therefore you get a very sturdy head that holds almost every lens. The working distance to the ground is about 11 in (or 29 cm). So maybe this combination isn't the best for macro if you want to go far down to the ground.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (80.4 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (101.0 KB, 379 views)
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #655
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

WOW! I never thought Id see that combo! An M10 with a GT1541T! The head is big on it, but I thought it would look larger than it does...

If you dont need the folding up legs feature of the 1541T, this might be a great way to go as you can use the M10 with another set of legs like a 2 series Gitzo and only have to buy one ballhead.
Old 8th of February 2010 (Mon)   #656
r.kristoffersen

Here is a picture of the Gitzo 1541T with a Manfrotto 494 MINI BALL HEAD w/RC2 QR PLATE. This is only a temporary solution because the legs won't fold around the ball head due to the placement of the adjustments nobs. But the combination with the lesser ball head feels and looks great which makes me even more anxious to get the Markins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100208-DSC_0110.jpg (36.9 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by r.kristoffersen : 9th of February 2010 (Tue) at 01:42. Reason: Added info regarding folding
r.kristoffersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2010 (Mon)   #657
bps
Cream of the Crop

mayuka,

Thank you for posting the comparison pics for the 1541T and the 1550T! As some of you know, I debated between these two tripods for quite some time...and chose the 1541T in the end. Now that I see just how skinny that 5th section is on a 1550T, I'm glad I went with the 1541T. Small and lightweight is great, but there is definitely a point in which you can go too far...

Bryan
bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2010 (Tue)   #658
mayuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Thank you for posting the comparison pics for the 1541T and the 1550T! As some of you know, I debated between these two tripods for quite some time...and chose the 1541T in the end. Now that I see just how skinny that 5th section is on a 1550T, I'm glad I went with the 1541T. Small and lightweight is great, but there is definitely a point in which you can go too far...
It depends. I have both and use them for totally different things (mostly). Maybe I'll do a comparision thread if this is appropriate.

The 1550T is a pure traveling or vacation tripod. For those trips mostly you don't take much gear with you and this gear isn't very heavy or long too. Combined with a good head you still can reach 35 cm folded and should have no trouble putting it inside the backpack. Even in completely bared out condition (without centre column) it can hold a 100-400 with the Q3T mounted. For some serious holiday photography where you don't want to spend all day for a photo this is a very good solution.

I'm using the 1541T for field trips (landscape photography) and for my macro stuff instead. (I'm not the kind of person who likes bird photography.) I'm a very small person and the I must make compromises in the heaviness of my gear. The 1541T is a very good compromise. It even is stable enough for my MP-E used with 5:1 and still is quite shock-resistant. The 1550T is also very much usable with the MP-E but only if you won't bare out the last 2 legs and let the centre column down. Which is also the weakest link in the chain with the 1541T.
Old 9th of February 2010 (Tue)   #659
kaigraphy

sigh...would have bought gitzo instead of mafrontto if I knew about the gitzo brand earlier...on the manfrontto u need to flip to release the leg which is slow...on the gitzo I see you only can to turn it to release the leg...much faster!!!

I guess the only advantage that manfrotto is the q90 system...

but I like gitzo now that I have seen all the feedback! so my next tripod will definitely be a gitzo!
Old 9th of February 2010 (Tue)   #660
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigraphy View Post
sigh...would have bought gitzo instead of mafrontto if I knew about the gitzo brand earlier...on the manfrontto u need to flip to release the leg which is slow...on the gitzo I see you only can to turn it to release the leg...much faster!!!

I guess the only advantage that manfrotto is the q90 system...

but I like gitzo now that I have seen all the feedback! so my next tripod will definitely be a gitzo!
For what its worth, you can get a good amount of your money back for that Manfrotto stuff if you sell it in the Classifieds section. Lots of people who cant afford Gitzo want it!