Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Urban Life & Travel
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #1
HKMonkey

Default Hong Kong Old and New

It's not the best photo, but I thought it did a good job of capturing the feeling of old Hong Kong with the traditional Junk boat and the new Hong Kong with the International Finance Centre tower. I wish I could have had a sunnier and clearer day, but the ever-present haze rarely gives you that option. I hope you like it anyway!

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." -Philippians 4:8
HKMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #2
stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer

Default Re: Hong Kong Old and New

Nice shot, I've got the same problem where I am, seems like the sun never wants to shine.
stoneylonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #3
Candid Bandit

I was born in HK but all I can remember are the junk boats. I don't think I've seen that building before. Nice capture. A not so sunny day gives your picture a more realistic feel. I mean I've seen so many sunny pics of HK its actually getting boring. This one is nice!
24mm f/1.4L
Candid Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #4
Giant

When I was in HK about 6 months ago, I did not see one junk. I was hoping to see some.

Anyway, nice picture.
Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #5
HKMonkey

Thanks for the comments, guys. Candid, I guess when you look at it that way, it is a little more interesting. Too bad I see Hong Kong everyday as being hazy, so for me a clear day would be a novelty. Hey, Giant, too bad I didn't post this before your trip. This boat is the Duk Ling and it sails every Thursday. It's the only original junk left in operation according to the tourism bureau. They sail it four times on Thursdays and allow tourists to ride for free. They don't even let locals ride it! Make sure to look it up at www.discoverhongkong.com if you ever plan a return trip.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." -Philippians 4:8
Old 13th of January 2005 (Thu)   #6
Giant

Wow awsome!! I must say though, when I was there it was kind of hot and very sunny! maybe I was just lucky!
Old 14th of January 2005 (Fri)   #7
HKMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Wow awsome!! I must say though, when I was there it was kind of hot and very sunny! maybe I was just lucky!
Oh, don't get me wrong, it is often sunny here, but with the haze of pollution, it is not often very clear. It makes it hard to get decent shots of the city. But it usually clears a bit towards the evening, so I've been pretty lucky to get some decent nighttime shots.

Old 14th of January 2005 (Fri)   #8
jgbeam

Nice contrast between old and new.

Jim
jgbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2005 (Fri)   #9
AirEOS

That IFC is huge, also a neck-breaker when your are standing at the foot of that building.I got this shot in HKG with the famous Star Ferries, was a shame this wasnt a clearer day but thats HKG for you, and a shame it wasnt a junk.

A beautiful view from the Peak at night or day aswell.

AirEOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2005 (Fri)   #10
AirEOS

And a lot of tourist think the pollution is from HKG when it is from China. HKMonkey you are so very correct, it clears durimg the evening. And from TST you can get some awesome night shots. Chinese NY would be a great time for photos from there or the Peak. Summer time is probable the best time to shoot shots of HKG, well for Aviation photos it is.

Cheers AirEOS
AirEOS is offline   Reply With Quote