FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 13 Jan 2005 (Thursday) 09:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

HKMonkey
Joined May 2004
112 posts
Hong Kong, China
[MORE/SHARE]

It's not the best photo, but I thought it did a good job of capturing the feeling of old Hong Kong with the traditional Junk boat and the new Hong Kong with the International Finance Centre tower. I wish I could have had a sunnier and clearer day, but the ever-present haze rarely gives you that option. I hope you like it anyway!

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/HKMonkey/Photography/JunkBoat.jpg

Post #1, Jan 13, 2005 09:31:04

Aaron Presley

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." -Philippians 4:8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
Joined Aug 2003
10,458 posts
Connecticut, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice shot, I've got the same problem where I am, seems like the sun never wants to shine.

Post #2, Jan 13, 2005 13:16:32

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

Candid ­ Bandit
Joined Dec 2004
286 posts
San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]

I was born in HK but all I can remember are the junk boats. I don't think I've seen that building before. Nice capture. A not so sunny day gives your picture a more realistic feel. I mean I've seen so many sunny pics of HK its actually getting boring. This one is nice!

Post #3, Jan 13, 2005 18:07:38

Weapon of choice: 20D...
Caliber: 85mm f/1.2L
135mm f/2.0L
24mm f/1.4L

Giant
Joined May 2004
173 posts
Seoul, South Korea
[MORE/SHARE]

When I was in HK about 6 months ago, I did not see one junk. I was hoping to see some.

Anyway, nice picture.

Post #4, Jan 13, 2005 18:11:02

Gear list : Canon Powershot A80, Nikon D70, 18-70mm Kit Lens, Sigma 170-500mm.

HKMonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
112 posts
Hong Kong, China
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the comments, guys. Candid, I guess when you look at it that way, it is a little more interesting. Too bad I see Hong Kong everyday as being hazy, so for me a clear day would be a novelty.:lol: Hey, Giant, too bad I didn't post this before your trip. This boat is the Duk Ling and it sails every Thursday. It's the only original junk left in operation according to the tourism bureau. They sail it four times on Thursdays and allow tourists to ride for free. They don't even let locals ride it! Make sure to look it up at www.discoverhongkong.c​omexternal link if you ever plan a return trip.

Post #5, Jan 13, 2005 19:28:50 as a reply to Giant's post 1 hour earlier.

Aaron Presley

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." -Philippians 4:8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Giant
Joined May 2004
173 posts
Seoul, South Korea
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow awsome!! I must say though, when I was there it was kind of hot and very sunny! maybe I was just lucky! :)

Post #6, Jan 13, 2005 19:36:33

Gear list : Canon Powershot A80, Nikon D70, 18-70mm Kit Lens, Sigma 170-500mm.

HKMonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2004
112 posts
Hong Kong, China
[MORE/SHARE]

Giant wrote:
Wow awsome!! I must say though, when I was there it was kind of hot and very sunny! maybe I was just lucky! :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is often sunny here, but with the haze of pollution, it is not often very clear. It makes it hard to get decent shots of the city. But it usually clears a bit towards the evening, so I've been pretty lucky to get some decent nighttime shots.

Post #7, Jan 14, 2005 01:29:30 as a reply to Giant's post 5 hours earlier.

Aaron Presley

jgbeam
Joined Mar 2004
998 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice contrast between old and new.

Jim

Post #8, Jan 14, 2005 05:39:08 as a reply to HKMonkey's post 4 hours earlier.

AirEOS
Joined Jan 2005
36 posts
Queensland, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

That IFC is huge, also a neck-breaker when your are standing at the foot of that building.I got this shot in HKG with the famous Star Ferries, was a shame this wasnt a clearer day but thats HKG for you, and a shame it wasnt a junk.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
http://images.fotopic.​net ...;noresize=1&nos​tamp=1
A beautiful view from the Peak at night or day aswell.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
http://images.fotopic.​net ...;noresize=1&nos​tamp=1

Post #9, Jan 21, 2005 06:35:39

AirEOS
Joined Jan 2005
36 posts
Queensland, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

And a lot of tourist think the pollution is from HKG when it is from China. HKMonkey you are so very correct, it clears durimg the evening. And from TST you can get some awesome night shots. Chinese NY would be a great time for photos from there or the Peak. Summer time is probable the best time to shoot shots of HKG, well for Aviation photos it is.

Cheers AirEOS

Post #10, Jan 21, 2005 06:40:07

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hong Kong Old and New
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES