Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #1
js26198

Default Some more lax

Found some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6945_1753_edited-1.jpg (18.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8036_2713_edited-1.jpg (40.3 KB, 167 views)
js26198 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #2
js26198

Default Re: Some more lax

and more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8183_2848_edited-1.jpg (30.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8196_2861_edited-1.jpg (23.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #3
johndevane

I'm not seeing any Exif data. If you're looking for critique, post your settings. If you're not looking for comments, then... J/K,

They look like they're very cropped, and maybe blurry to start with. The colors are very muted. Give some info on how you shot these, and the guys here will give you a ton of help!

Regards,

John.

Last edited by johndevane : 23rd of July 2008 (Wed) at 19:18. Reason: Wasn't done.
johndevane is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #4
js26198

how do I supply the data so it can be viewed?
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #5
johndevane

Just type it in... Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal length. Such as "1/500, f5.6, ISO 400, 70mm" for example.

It may be embedded and I just can't see it with my firefox browser, but it doesn't take any extra time to post it anyway. It helps the pros to know the data so they can help you. Also, include info about how much you cropped for these pictures, as it looks like they're suffering from cropping.
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #6
js26198

Thanks. I know I get a little crop crazy. I also load them to the teams website. I'll be at a tournament in PA this weekend. I shoot with a XTI and just bought the 70-200 IS L. I shoot in Tv usually at 1250 to 1600 shutter speed, AI Servo, ISO 200, Center weight metering and white balance set to daylight when it's sunny out. A lot of times the sun is really harsh and super bright. I'm tempted to try Manual to get rid of some of the background. Not really sure if these are the optimum settings... I also have Photshop Elements 6 to do my cropping and resizing which I'm still muddling through. I'll post some more pics. I'm still playing around with the sizing. Thanks again for the info
Jim
Old 23rd of July 2008 (Wed)   #7
johndevane

Okay Jim,

Now we can help. You have great gear, and a good eye for timing on your shots. Each photo shows faces and at least some good action, which are key. You've cropped the photos so that there are no legs or arms cut off, which is also a key. Good job.

Maybe your biggest issue to deal with is a simple fix. Shooting in TV is not what most people do. AV works much better for sports. In TV, your camera decides your aperture. For sports, a larger aperture (smaller number) is best. On your 70-200L, you can set your aperture to 2.8, or 4.0, depending on the model of the lens. The smaller number will help to blur out your backgrounds. Using AV will demand your XTI to shoot in 2.8 (or 4.0)

Look at your first picture posted here... the house in the background is almost as clear as the players. If you were zoomed in all the way to 200mm, at a large aperture, you'd get the players in focus and the house blurred. In my photo I was around 300mm, f5.6. You can see my background was much closer, but much more blurred.

In AV, you control the aperture, and the exposure of the shot by adjusting your ISO. Your camera will set the shutter speed. If the SS gets too slow, raise your ISO. So try again in AV. Set your aperture to the largest for your lens, and adjust your ISO so the picture looks good. You can also do this in manual, but it's easier to start with AV.

Also, wait for the action to come to you, so that the players fill your viewfinder at 200mm. If they get too close, then zoom out. Taking shots that must be heavily cropped is difficult to keep the players separate from the background.

Keep it up, and keep posting! You'll learn a ton from the great people here who taught me.

Regards,

John.

Last edited by johndevane : 23rd of July 2008 (Wed) at 23:15.
johndevane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2008 (Thu)   #8
Sauk
Goldmember

If there is something I have learned in sports is shoot tight and crop tighter!

Only word of advice I can offer
Sauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2008 (Thu)   #9
cecilc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndevane View Post
AV works much better for sports. In TV, your camera decides your aperture.
Yes, I'd agree ....

You want to be in control of your depth-of-field, not allow the camera to decide that for you by adjusting the aperture anytime "it" decides to. While a high shutter speed is good, you can keep your shutter speeds high enough by adjusting your ISO setting. Which means that if you're shooting in AV at, say, f4.0 with an ISO of 100 and your shutter speed winds up to be 1/500 then you just adjust your ISO speed upwards (to about 400) to get your shutter speeds up to where you want them.

Your shots do appear a bit soft - and I'm not sure if that's because of the cropping; or if it's a lens issue; or even some camera shake on your part. Hard to tell .....

With a 200, you will have to have the action come to you more so that you fill more of the frame with your subjects. Shooting all the way across the field will require a pretty hefty crop to isolate the action that you're shooting.

A couple of examples below. I wish I could remember how I shot these, but my best guess is that I was in AV with an aperture of anywhere between 2.8 and 4.0. ISO probably between 200 and 400. Shutter speed in the 1/1500 to 1/2000 range .....

Hope that's some help .... don't hesitate to ask specific questions ....

Old 24th of July 2008 (Thu)   #10
js26198

Excellent advise. Thank you all. I will try Av this weekend and be more patient. Because of the reach issue with the 200mm, I tend to zoom in when I PP, I think that may have something to do with the softness, or maybe not...I went with the 4.0 since 99% of the games are during the morning and early afternoon with sufficient light. I don't shoot Basketball or other indoor sports. I will report back Monday after the tournament.