Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Competitions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which image makes you say "WOW"
Via Ferrata 1 1.32%
mountain 1 1.32%
Going to Work 4 5.26%
A Snowy Morning 2 2.63%
Charging the Corner 0 0%
Misty Day Reflections 19 25.00%
Contrast 2 2.63%
Blue Dawn 33 43.42%
Harbor Sunrise 10 13.16%
Chickadee 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #1
Meghan

Default Best of the best voting: Round 1

I am Tim's girlfriend. He would like to apologize to the participating members and rest of the forum that he will be absent for a month due to some improper behavior (Please do not discuss this matter here, he just wanted to let you all know that he isnít dead )

The voting process remains the same. The top three photos will move on. Tim says "I gave everyone a chance to agree on a voting process, this turned into nothing but a fight and i was forced come up with my own, changing it now is not possible, sorry". He also wanted to point out how the results look in the first poll, he wanted to pick the three winners, and as of right now there are three clear leaders.

Quote:

Remember that we are voting on "The best image". From the start Tim made it clear that he did not mean the best image technically. Rather you should vote on whichever image most impresses you (this will often include the technical aspects of the photo, but they should not be the only aspects).

For these first rounds you will only be able to select one image, that will eventually change.

Images can be viewed here:
Meghan

****************** EDIT ******************* links to additional rounds added by request

Be Sure and VOTE in each additional round as they come up;

ROUND TWO

ROUND THREE

ROUND FOUR

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems : 18th of January 2005 (Tue) at 15:37.
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #2
aam1234
Goldmember

Default Re: Best of the best voting: Round 1

Ouch! this ten only choice is really unfair. There are at least 3 photos that are really outstanding from the above group. What if in the later rounds we get 10 average photos? that means an "average" photo has replaced an outstanding one.

I think in the first rounds we should select from all the photos, then when the number becomes less we use the"ten choices" (when many photos have been eliminated). Just my opinion.
aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #3
mattchase

I understand the complexity of having all the images available to vote on at one time, but also agree with aam that doing 10 at a time may not be the best way.

That said, I don't know what a better (or realistic) way of doing it would be, so I put in my vote.

PS. Thanks for doing this!

Last edited by mattchase : 17th of January 2005 (Mon) at 21:23.
mattchase is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #4
JK

Why not have people submit their TOP 5 in order ?

The number one photo gets 5 points, number 2 gets 4 points and so on until the last one, which will get one point. Then sum them all up for all entries and you'll have determined a winner via a reasonably fair method.
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #5
mattchase

That method sounds good, it would give fair results. How many to pick could be up for argument (is 5 too many? not enough? etc...). The problem though is that it would require some one (or 2 or 3 people) to manually count every vote from every posting, and add them all up. This would be prone to error (think Florida), and worse, would take a lot of manual effort by those counters. If only 20 people were to vote, then it might not be such a big effort, but if as many people vote as entered the competition, there would be a lot of numbers to keep track of.

If there are those willing to do the counting, then I am all for a method like this.
mattchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #6
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

I'm pretty sure the method for voting was discussed at length last month in other threads,..
I'm not sure changing how votes come in after beginning the process is a great plan ...

I am however confused as to why only one poll of ten should run at a time? I assumed all the groups of 10 would go up at the same time.. thus making only two rounds of votes.. the preliminaries (votes of ten like this one) and then all the winners pitted against eachother in a last vote.

This one poll closes on Jan 25.. does that mean we have to wait till Jan 25 before the next group of ten goes up?

Just curious.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #7
Ed Rotberg

I too am confused by this. First of all if it's gong to take 8 or 9 polls in total to get the final results, and, the polls are run in sequence, a lot of people are going to lose interest. Additionally, it may make it hard for individuals to get their votes in. For example, between February 4th and the 14th, there is no way that I will be able to vote, let alone look at images.

If the voting must be done this way (and I don't think it needs to be), please run the "first heets" simlutaneously.

Secondly, I agree about the arbitrary division of the groups being a problem. I too would vote for more than one in this group (only 2 though), but cannot. I supposed it is also expected that I should vote for a photo in a different group, even if I don't feel that any of the photos in said group are worthy to go forward. This is simply wrong.

Please rethink this method of running the contest.

= Ed =
My Gear
Ed Rotberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2005 (Mon)   #8
Mills
Goldmember

This has been discussed. Be very careful that it does not turn into a Fiasco. Remember, this is supposed to be fun. The images are all excellent, Hell, I am not sure I can put mine in the top HALF!.

Box Alarm Images

http://www.myspace.com/millz11 Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #9
ENIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234
Ouch! this ten only choice is really unfair. There are at least 3 photos that are really outstanding from the above group. What if in the later rounds we get 10 average photos? that means an "average" photo has replaced an outstanding one.

I think in the first rounds we should select from all the photos, then when the number becomes less we use the"ten choices" (when many photos have been eliminated). Just my opinion.
i agree completly

http://www.010101.org/djordje/
ENIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #10
shniks

Three of the shots in this list would have been in my top 5, so I agree with others saying that maybe the contest is a little unfair. I think it has something to do with the photographers feeling confident about their shots and submitting them early, so some really wonderful shots are in this first lot.
I voted anyway - I just hate to see some of the best not even make it into the top 3.
shniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #11
Penguin_101_1
User is banned from forums

This has been talked about, he set it up, he will (tell his girlfriend to) do the polls as he wants.
Penguin_101_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #12
Meghan

OK. I was not around when he discussed the way of voteing with everyone but he did explain what he was going to do and it made sence to me. I can't change anything unless he tells me to. So just hang in there.

Meghan
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #13
mdclaros

let's do round two!!!
mdclaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #14
roanjohn
Goldmember

I voted!!!! What's next??

EDIT:

Why can't we have two or three more of these threads running??:

So we'll have 3 threads with a group of 10 photos in each thread.

........then the best will be moved up after one/two weeks.

........and so forth.

Ro1

www.pbase.com/roanjohn

Last edited by roanjohn : 18th of January 2005 (Tue) at 08:57.
roanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2005 (Tue)   #15
Mills
Goldmember

Interesting. Only 34 votes as of right now. 70 or so images So many people here on the forum. Guess people are not as interested as I had anticipated.

Box Alarm Images

http://www.myspace.com/millz11 Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote