Contrast
2.6%
Blue Dawn
43.4%
Harbor Sunrise
13.2%
Chickadee
5.3%

76 voters, 76 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS

Meghan
Joined Jan 2005
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am Tim's girlfriend. He would like to apologize to the participating members and rest of the forum that he will be absent for a month due to some improper behavior (Please do not discuss this matter here, he just wanted to let you all know that he isn’t dead )

The voting process remains the same. The top three photos will move on. Tim says "I gave everyone a chance to agree on a voting process, this turned into nothing but a fight and i was forced come up with my own, changing it now is not possible, sorry". He also wanted to point out how the results look in the first poll, he wanted to pick the three winners, and as of right now there are three clear leaders.

Remember that we are voting on "The best image". From the start Tim made it clear that he did not mean the best image technically. Rather you should vote on whichever image most impresses you (this will often include the technical aspects of the photo, but they should not be the only aspects).

For these first rounds you will only be able to select one image, that will eventually change.

Images can be viewed here:
[URL="[URL]http://www.​pbase.com/timmyquest/b​est_of_the_best"][URL="http://[URL]www.​pbase.com/timmyquest/b​est_of_the_best"][URL]​http://www.pbase.com/t​immyquest/best_of_the_​best

Meghan :-D

*************** EDIT *************** links to additional rounds added by request

Be Sure and VOTE in each additional round as they come up;

[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54472]ROUND TWO

[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54473]ROUND THREE

[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54476]ROUND FOUR

Post #1, Jan 17, 2005 17:29:57

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
aam1234
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
4,131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ouch! this ten only choice is really unfair. There are at least 3 photos that are really outstanding from the above group. What if in the later rounds we get 10 average photos? that means an "average" photo has replaced an outstanding one.

I think in the first rounds we should select from all the photos, then when the number becomes less we use the"ten choices" (when many photos have been eliminated). Just my opinion.

Post #2, Jan 17, 2005 19:07:44

mattchase
Joined Apr 2003
112 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I understand the complexity of having all the images available to vote on at one time, but also agree with aam that doing 10 at a time may not be the best way.

That said, I don't know what a better (or realistic) way of doing it would be, so I put in my vote. :)

PS. Thanks for doing this!

Post #3, Jan 17, 2005 20:33:01

JK
Joined Oct 2004
394 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Why not have people submit their TOP 5 in order ?

The number one photo gets 5 points, number 2 gets 4 points and so on until the last one, which will get one point. Then sum them all up for all entries and you'll have determined a winner via a reasonably fair method.

Post #4, Jan 17, 2005 21:34:03 as a reply to mattchase's post 1 hour earlier.

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
My Gear

mattchase
Joined Apr 2003
112 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That method sounds good, it would give fair results. How many to pick could be up for argument (is 5 too many? not enough? etc...). The problem though is that it would require some one (or 2 or 3 people) to manually count every vote from every posting, and add them all up. This would be prone to error (think Florida), and worse, would take a lot of manual effort by those counters. If only 20 people were to vote, then it might not be such a big effort, but if as many people vote as entered the competition, there would be a lot of numbers to keep track of.

If there are those willing to do the counting, then I am all for a method like this.

Post #5, Jan 17, 2005 21:49:08

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,766 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm pretty sure the method for voting was discussed at length last month in other threads,..
I'm not sure changing how votes come in after beginning the process is a great plan ...

I am however confused as to why only one poll of ten should run at a time? I assumed all the groups of 10 would go up at the same time.. thus making only two rounds of votes.. the preliminaries (votes of ten like this one) and then all the winners pitted against eachother in a last vote.

This one poll closes on Jan 25.. does that mean we have to wait till Jan 25 before the next group of ten goes up?

Just curious.

Post #6, Jan 17, 2005 21:53:45

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

Ed ­ Rotberg
Joined Nov 2003
607 posts
Nevada City, CA. USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I too am confused by this. First of all if it's gong to take 8 or 9 polls in total to get the final results, and, the polls are run in sequence, a lot of people are going to lose interest. Additionally, it may make it hard for individuals to get their votes in. For example, between February 4th and the 14th, there is no way that I will be able to vote, let alone look at images.

If the voting must be done this way (and I don't think it needs to be), please run the "first heets" simlutaneously.

Secondly, I agree about the arbitrary division of the groups being a problem. I too would vote for more than one in this group (only 2 though), but cannot. I supposed it is also expected that I should vote for a photo in a different group, even if I don't feel that any of the photos in said group are worthy to go forward. This is simply wrong.

Please rethink this method of running the contest.

= Ed =

Post #7, Jan 17, 2005 22:42:18

Ed Rotberg
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind!"
My Galleryexternal link
My Gear

Mills
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
4,105 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

This has been discussed. Be very careful that it does not turn into a Fiasco. Remember, this is supposed to be fun. The images are all excellent, Hell, I am not sure I can put mine in the top HALF!.

Post #8, Jan 17, 2005 23:01:54 as a reply to Ed Rotberg's post 19 minutes earlier.

Mills
1D Mark II & 5D
50 f1.4 16-35 f2.8L 24-70 f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L IS 580 EX & 550 EX Gitzo Mono & Tri Pods Apple iMac G5 & 17 Inch Powerbook

Box Alarm Imagesexternal link
http://www.myspace.com​/millz11external link Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.:p

ENIAC
Joined Oct 2004
56 posts
Belgrade/Serbia
[MORE/SHARE]

aam1234 wrote:
Ouch! this ten only choice is really unfair. There are at least 3 photos that are really outstanding from the above group. What if in the later rounds we get 10 average photos? that means an "average" photo has replaced an outstanding one.

I think in the first rounds we should select from all the photos, then when the number becomes less we use the"ten choices" (when many photos have been eliminated). Just my opinion.

i agree completly

Post #9, Jan 18, 2005 01:17:59 as a reply to aam1234's post 6 hours earlier.

Djordje Jovanovic
Canon EOS 20D, 300mm f4L IS, 17-40mm f4L, 580EX
YOU CAN

http://www.010101.org/​djordje/external link

shniks
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
1,029 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Three of the shots in this list would have been in my top 5, so I agree with others saying that maybe the contest is a little unfair. I think it has something to do with the photographers feeling confident about their shots and submitting them early, so some really wonderful shots are in this first lot.
I voted anyway - I just hate to see some of the best not even make it into the top 3.

Post #10, Jan 18, 2005 02:46:08

Penguin_101_1
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,259 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

This has been talked about, he set it up, he will (tell his girlfriend to;)) do the polls as he wants.

Post #11, Jan 18, 2005 06:05:13

sponsored links
Meghan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK. I was not around when he discussed the way of voteing with everyone but he did explain what he was going to do and it made sence to me. I can't change anything unless he tells me to. So just hang in there.

Meghan :)

Post #12, Jan 18, 2005 06:56:35 as a reply to Penguin_101_1's post 51 minutes earlier.

mdclaros
Joined Jul 2004
66 posts
Washington DC
[MORE/SHARE]

let's do round two!!!

Post #13, Jan 18, 2005 07:47:27

mdclaros
Canon 20D
24-70mm L f2.8
70-300 DO IS
100mm f2.8 MACRO

roanjohn
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2003
3,791 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I voted!!!! What's next??

EDIT:

Why can't we have two or three more of these threads running??:

So we'll have 3 threads with a group of 10 photos in each thread.

........then the best will be moved up after one/two weeks.

........and so forth.

Ro1

Post #14, Jan 18, 2005 08:54:19

www.pbase.com/roanjohnexternal link

Mills
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
4,105 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Interesting. Only 34 votes as of right now. 70 or so images :o So many people here on the forum. Guess people are not as interested as I had anticipated. :cry:

Post #15, Jan 18, 2005 14:12:29

Mills
1D Mark II & 5D
50 f1.4 16-35 f2.8L 24-70 f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L IS 580 EX & 550 EX Gitzo Mono & Tri Pods Apple iMac G5 & 17 Inch Powerbook

Box Alarm Imagesexternal link
http://www.myspace.com​/millz11external link Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.:p

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best of the best voting: Round 1
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES