Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Jul 2008 (Monday) 23:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So, I was talking to my Canon dealer...

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jul 28, 2008 23:38 |  #1

And the cost of all but a very select few lenses have gone up in price by 5%. I was looking into an 85mm F1.8 and it has going up to $385 from $355. Or the 50mm F1.4, cost was $310 and is now $325. I wonder why this is.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
donaldinc
64 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 28, 2008 23:46 |  #2

The Fox wrote in post #6004426external link
And the cost of all but a very select few lenses have gone up in price by 5%. I was looking into an 85mm F1.8 and it has going up to $385 from $355. Or the 50mm F1.4, cost was $310 and is now $325. I wonder why this is.
Nick

well the rebate from Canon recently expired and i'm not sure if the lens you listed were included. That should explain the increase in some of their lineups.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L | Canon 70-200 f/4 IS | Canon 100L 2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | 580 EX II | SLIK PRO 340 EZ

ModelMayhemexternal link

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Jul 29, 2008 00:00 as a reply to donaldinc's post |  #3

Looks like inflation has struck again.

LightWorks Portfolioexternal link
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiaeexternal link
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

whakojacko
166 posts
Joined Feb 2007
San Jose, CA/Pittsburgh, PA
Jul 29, 2008 00:05 |  #4

fWord wrote in post #6004509external link
Looks like inflation has struck again.

keep in mind that this also somewhat raises the value of your used gear, so its not as big of a deal as people might make it out to be. I got my US version 70-200 4IS from b+h for $975? new last may...its $1100 new now with the rebates gone...nice...(if I ever felt like selling it, that is ;)

40D, 400D, 35L, 70-200 F4L IS and junk. flickrexternal link

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Jul 29, 2008 00:11 |  #5

whakojacko wrote in post #6004527external link
keep in mind that this also somewhat raises the value of your used gear, so its not as big of a deal as people might make it out to be. I got my US version 70-200 4IS from b+h for $975? new last may...its $1100 new now with the rebates gone...nice...(if I ever felt like selling it, that is ;)

Guess it depends on the equipment in question also. Case in point is the 70-200/4L non-IS. I can get it way cheaper now new than what I even sold it for, second-hand. Cameras are the other amazing thing...how they depreciate from gold to mere mites in a few years.

That D60 that I really wanted 5 years ago was US$2K then. Now I can find it on the Bay for usually less than US$200.

LightWorks Portfolioexternal link
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiaeexternal link
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Sweden/France
Jul 29, 2008 00:19 as a reply to fWord's post |  #6

There are some threads about the 5% increase like this one.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=491134
Inflation? weak US$?

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

r1ch
395 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 29, 2008 00:36 |  #7

sebr wrote in post #6004587external link
There are some threads about the 5% increase like this one.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=491134
Inflation? weak US$?

If they increase the price of Japanese goods because the dollar is weak, then Americans will start buying more from China, who's money is tied to the US dollar. The Japanese will only be hurting themselves. I know as a US citizen I go to ebay and buy things like teleconverters, batterys, grips ect from china because it is cheaper. If the Japanese want to increase prices, I will just buy from where the prices are lower. In the end it will only hurt them. Buy increasing price, less people buy if there is a competitor that sells for less and has a similar product.

The Japanese are teaching the Chinese well as well as those from Taiwan, etc.
Soon they will produce competing produces from what they have learned from them.

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Sweden/France
Jul 29, 2008 01:28 |  #8

r1ch wrote in post #6004655external link
If they increase the price of Japanese goods because the dollar is weak, then Americans will start buying more from China, who's money is tied to the US dollar. The Japanese will only be hurting themselves. I know as a US citizen I go to ebay and buy things like teleconverters, batterys, grips ect from china because it is cheaper. If the Japanese want to increase prices, I will just buy from where the prices are lower. In the end it will only hurt them. Buy increasing price, less people buy if there is a competitor that sells for less and has a similar product.

The Japanese are teaching the Chinese well as well as those from Taiwan, etc.
Soon they will produce competing produces from what they have learned from them.

Agreed, but there is a need for some balance. The dollar is way to weak at the moment, at least from a European perspective. Now, I am waiting for my next trip to the US in November to buy some lenses. It is like everything is on sale, but actually it is not :D

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 29, 2008 07:17 |  #9

The US $ was and is still overvalued. If the price of oil was not tied to the US dollar (all purchases have to be made in US currency) it would be worth nothing, imo.

Unfortunately, there is so much US currency outside of the US that it is in no one's benefit to let the $ siide much further.

Reminds me of the story..... when you owe the back $200,000 you don't sleep at night... when you owe them 200 million, they don't sleep at night.

Canon and other Japanese and foreign companies can't keep "eating" the fall in the US dollar. At some point, the cost has to be passed down.

China has artifically pegged their currency relative to the US dollar. So much for capitaliam and free markets......lol

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Jul 29, 2008 09:27 |  #10

sebr wrote in post #6004842external link
Agreed, but there is a need for some balance. The dollar is way to weak at the moment, at least from a European perspective. Now, I am waiting for my next trip to the US in November to buy some lenses. It is like everything is on sale, but actually it is not :D

If they are increasing prices AGAIN (they just did May 1), then maybe this is what they are trying to find is BALANCE.

A few years ago (or so) the theaters in Canada raised their prices and some spokeswoman from the theaters was asked in a radio interview about future price increases. She said that attendance went up after the price increase so that should indicate what they will do in the future. (Of course in my locality most theaters have closed since then).

Now if Canon raises prices by 5% in May 2008 and sales don't change or even increase as more people buy SLRs then what do you expect Canon to do? BTW has anyone else noticed a lot more Canon print ads recently? Maybe the ad department got the increase.

Or it could be that local dealers are just now getting the new price increased inventory and this is just an end to an old story.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Jul 29, 2008 10:47 |  #11

Quad wrote in post #6006372external link
Now if Canon raises prices by 5% in May 2008 and sales don't change or even increase as more people buy SLRs then what do you expect Canon to do? BTW has anyone else noticed a lot more Canon print ads recently? Maybe the ad department got the increase.

Or it could be that local dealers are just now getting the new price increased inventory and this is just an end to an old story.

I think this is the case.

On B&H the 50 1.4 is the same price now that it was when I bought mine in May. And yes, the 50 1.4 was included in the last rebate. :(

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,522 posts
Joined Mar 2006
New York, USA
Jul 29, 2008 11:36 |  #12

The lens prices went up quite some time ago... May 1st, IIRC.

La Vida Leica!external linkLitPixel Galleriesexternal link -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

sponsored links

1,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
So, I was talking to my Canon dealer...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.