Thread started 06 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 00:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
Joined Mar 2006
5,593 posts
Lago, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I love carrying all my Canon gear in my car. (there, now it's photography related).

Here's the simple version of the story.

I own an 08 Corolla (Standard issue, Automatic transmission).
I have the chance to switch to Chevrolet Malibu (07 or 08). LT version, not tricked out or with any fancy package.

Anyone around here own the Malibu?...

Any thoughts?...

So far, an online comparison says that the Malibu seems a bit more powerful for its weight, and that the price (MSRP at least) is a bit higher on the Chevy.

Personally, I would trade it without hesitation. However, I have not heard a lot about it. I heard that it seems a bit roomier, and responds a tad better than a Toyota. Other than that... you tell me. :)

Post #1, Aug 06, 2008 00:24:12

Mario "MJ" Gravina

"I feel crampy today.." -Abraham Lincoln
"Ow ow you are on my hair!" -Joan of Arc

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
Joined Aug 2007
8,907 posts
Las Vegas
[MORE/SHARE]

All things being equal right now. I would stick with the Toyota over a Chevy. Besides if you are trading in a 2008 car you will get killed.

Which one gets better gas mileage?

Post #2, Aug 06, 2008 00:35:26

Eric

PhotoJourno
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Plains Chimper
Joined Mar 2006
5,593 posts
Lago, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Good question. For what I read, the Toyota seems to get better mileage. The chevy has a slighter higher consumption, and also a bigger gas tank.

For the purposes of this thread, let's imagine all things being equal. Why Toyota over Chevy?...

Post #3, Aug 06, 2008 00:41:37

Mario "MJ" Gravina

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Anything called 'Malibu' is implicitly uncool IMO, unless it is actually the place 'Malibu'. The Corolla is 'uncool' but it ain't tryin' to be 'cool' and so therefore is 'cooler'. What else matters?

Post #4, Aug 06, 2008 02:00:55

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

smcclelland
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Toyota hands down. I've never been able to sit comfortably in any domestic vehicle as I feel there's not a single domestic manufacturer that pays attention to detail when it comes to ergonomics in the interior.

I'm driving around in a Pontiac G5 4 door right now as a rental from the insurance company and it's absolutely painful, it makes my old GTI feel like a luxury car.

Post #5, Aug 06, 2008 08:40:44

Shawn | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

sponsored links
Michael
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2006
5,979 posts
Busselton, Western Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Corolla! Definitely! I don't know what the US models are like, but I was checking out the middle range model here in Australia and it is pretty nice. 6 speed manual, 7 l/100km.. pretty damn good.

I don't think Corollas, or Toyota's in general are "uncool". I think they are becoming a more up market car company as of late, at least in Australia.

Post #6, Aug 06, 2008 08:54:33

EOS 5D Mark II | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 85 f/1.8
Michael Hossen | GEAR | WEBexternal link

PhotoJourno
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Plains Chimper
Joined Mar 2006
5,593 posts
Lago, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback.

Post #7, Aug 06, 2008 10:12:04

Mario "MJ" Gravina

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
St. Augustine, FL by way of NY.
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd keep the Corolla. It'll outlast the Malibu.

Post #8, Aug 06, 2008 10:21:03

MCSquaredexternal link on Flickr
MCSquared on Facebookexternal link
MCSquared Photography
My name: Manish.

Cotmweasel
Joined Jan 2008
995 posts
Allen, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #6057277external link

Thats what I was going to say. Toyota is rated one of the top most reliable car companies. Chevy isn't even close. The Toyota is most likely going to last a lot longer then the chevy.

Post #9, Aug 06, 2008 10:34:49

-Dave
Equipment List:Canon Rebel XTi, Canon 7D, EF-S 18-55mm (Kit lens), EF 28-135mm IS, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T* (converted to canon), EF 70-200mm F/4 L, EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, 430EX, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/external link

PhotoJourno
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Plains Chimper
Joined Mar 2006
5,593 posts
Lago, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok. Let's add some spice to the situation, then.

You still have to choose between one of two, however:

- On the Toyota, the Loan is for 15 beans, although the car is worth 10 new, and only 8 out of the lot. (why 15 for a 10 car? long story, but stick with me on this one).

- On the Chevy, the Loan is for 10 beans, car is worth 10 new, and also probably 7-8 out of the lot.

Would you still overpay 5 beans for the toyota, or make it go away and get a fairly priced Chevy?

Post #10, Aug 06, 2008 10:39:14

Mario "MJ" Gravina

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
St. Augustine, FL by way of NY.
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd still say the gas savings on the corolla will outweigh the price diff. on the car, over time.

Secondly, I wouldn't pay 'over' anything, on a car...it's a depreciating asset...I'd go to another dealer.

Post #11, Aug 06, 2008 10:47:56

MCSquaredexternal link on Flickr
MCSquared on Facebookexternal link
MCSquared Photography
My name: Manish.

sponsored links
smcclelland
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Honestly, even if it was for 15 beans with interest that Toyota is going to far out last the Malibu, save you on gas and be far more reliable in my opinion.

Side note though, definitely source other dealers. One VW dealer offered me 3.9% on my GTI, another offered me 1.9% and the one I bought it from did 0% for 5 years so it pays to shop around.

Post #12, Aug 06, 2008 11:51:34

Shawn | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
Joined Aug 2007
8,907 posts
Las Vegas
[MORE/SHARE]

You own the toyota now don't you?

If that's the case you are upside down 7 beans on the toyota. If you trade it in on the malibu you will end up paying 17 beans for the malibu. I would rather be upside down on a toyota than a chevy. It goes back to the reliability and the toyota will hold value much longer than the chevy.

This is just going to be a never ending problem. I have a feeling you were upside down in the previous car also. Stop the madness here. Keep the toyota long enough to have a little equity in it before you look to trade it for something else.

Post #13, Aug 06, 2008 14:36:55

Eric

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll throw in a contrarian thought, it would appear.

The 2007 Malibu I'd avoid. The 2008 might be worth considering, though I don't have any personal experience with it. Car & Driver named the 2008 version to its 10 best list and gave it as good a review as I've seen just about any car in quite a while (the 10 best mention is here: http://www.caranddrive​r.com ...s_10best_cars+page-5.htmlexternal link).

Financially, a paid off car is a better deal than anything that isn't. You'd have to have some HUGE fuel savings to make just about any paid off vehicle worth getting rid of to get a newer, more fuel efficient car. To me, unless you're driving lots of miles, trading a car for the fuel savings just isn't the right financial decision in a lot of cases right now. There are some calculators out there that allow you to estimate how long you'd have to own a more fuel efficient car to make up for the hit you take in selling a less efficient one and purchasing the more efficient one -- I think edmunds.com might have one.

Post #14, Aug 06, 2008 14:46:32 as a reply to eddarr's post 9 minutes earlier.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Dave.H
Joined Sep 2007
695 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #6057277external link

What is this oppinion based on?

ibdb wrote in post #6058772external link
The 2007 Malibu I'd avoid.

Why?

I'm not trying to start an internet argument. I am simply curious for my own personal reasons what the basis of the oppinions are here.

:D

Post #15, Aug 06, 2008 15:06:48

Canon 40D | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70 L f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 L f/2.8 | [COLOR=navy]EF 100 f/2.8L Macro | 430EXhttp://www.davidhaughs​.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
Car Professors Assemble! - Corolla Vs. Malibu
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES