Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 08 Aug 2008 (Friday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Handheld HDR

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Aug 08, 2008 02:29 |  #1

These were all HDR shots using 3 bracket shots for each picture.
Because of the 1D MK3's 10FPS capability, I can do it handheld, which makes it so much more fun (I probably wouldnt do it othersise).

You set the camera for # of brackets, set 10FPS speed, press and hold. The camera automatically stops when it's got all the bracket shots.

I'm continue to use this method until I get sick of the look (which may be soon).

All pictures were taken with the super sharp 24-70L at F4

IMAGE: http://images2.fotop.net/albums2/isp/miscellaneous/cky03.jpg

IMAGE: http://images2.fotop.net/albums2/isp/miscellaneous/cky01.jpg

IMAGE: http://images2.fotop.net/albums2/isp/miscellaneous/cky002.jpg

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
Alex ­ Rechetov
204 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Toronto, Canada
Aug 08, 2008 08:48 |  #2

Nice! I've always wanted to give that a try. I'm guessing the 40d should be able to pull it off with 6.5fps if I'm stable enough... :)

My Gear | My Flickrexternal link

D4VE
611 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Surrey, England
Aug 08, 2008 11:35 |  #3

Thats handy that fps, I could never do this with the fps on my cam. They look very nice and sharp

my flickrexternal link | Need a gallery website?external link

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Avoca Beach, east coast of Oz.
Aug 08, 2008 12:29 as a reply to D4VE's post |  #4

very nice result....I also use handheld for most of my HDR captures....with a 30D.

Eos 30D, 300D modified for IR,Sigma 50mm f1.4, 15mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 550EX, Slik Pro 700DX tripod. G12.
www.pinballimages.smug​mug.comexternal link

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Aug 08, 2008 18:02 |  #5

I find that combining multiple images for HDR takes away some sharpness, but it's still acceptable.
I submitted these to the news station housed in that building and they were so happy they asked permission to use them for promo work.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Aug 08, 2008 18:05 |  #6

Ah good ol' CTV...

One of my TV Production clients in the distant past.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

No786
343 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aug 08, 2008 22:06 |  #7

I like the last one alot

Gear List
flickrexternal link

runarut
198 posts
Joined Sep 2007
San Antonio, TX
Aug 08, 2008 22:24 |  #8

I do lots of handheld HDR using +/- 2 stops on a Canon 20D.

Best way to maintain sharpness that I've found is to process the HDR images in Photoshop CS3 Extended (not sure if you need the extended part for this). I then save the images before any tone mapping. If I want to tone map in PhotoMatix, I save the images in TIFF format.

Doing the basic HDR photo merging in Photoshop instead of PhotoMatix produces much sharper results whether you are handheld or on a tripod.

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Avoca Beach, east coast of Oz.
Aug 09, 2008 00:07 |  #9

drisley wrote in post #6072768external link
I find that combining multiple images for HDR takes away some sharpness, but it's still acceptable.
I submitted these to the news station housed in that building and they were so happy they asked permission to use them for promo work.

that's a nice outcome.

runarut wrote in post #6074152external link
I do lots of handheld HDR using +/- 2 stops on a Canon 20D.

Best way to maintain sharpness that I've found is to process the HDR images in Photoshop CS3 Extended (not sure if you need the extended part for this). I then save the images before any tone mapping. If I want to tone map in PhotoMatix, I save the images in TIFF format.

Doing the basic HDR photo merging in Photoshop instead of PhotoMatix produces much sharper results whether you are handheld or on a tripod.

yes indeed I watched a tutorial by Bill Willmore on this very topic and plan to get his DVD :)

Eos 30D, 300D modified for IR,Sigma 50mm f1.4, 15mm f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 550EX, Slik Pro 700DX tripod. G12.
www.pinballimages.smug​mug.comexternal link

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Aug 09, 2008 02:32 |  #10

Thanks for the posts guys.

Runarut, yes, I only use PS CS3 Extended to combine the images. The loss of sharpness comes from combining 3 images that are shot handheld. Even at 10FPS, there will be SOME movement, so the images aren't perfectly aligned (but very very close). If I used a tripod, mirror lockup, etc etc, I could get utmost sharpness when they are combined, but that's too much work :)

The images are extremely sharp individually though (and are still very acceptable after merging, but sharpness goes from 10/10 to about 8.5/10)

sponsored links

1,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
Handheld HDR
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.