Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 15:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Would You Do???

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Aug 10, 2008 15:42 |  #1

So, I am drawing up an assignment that I will be shooting in 3 weeks and would like to get some peoples opinions on how to light my model.

My model has dark hair and the backdrop is a very dark blue/ black muslin. I need the help separate her a little from the background. Would you light her with an undiffused light behind her (pointed at her head) or use the same light turned 180 to light the background?

In case it makes a dramatic difference, the other light will be a 60" octabox or at least a 55" softbox on the my left and a silver reflector on the right. It will also be shot in black and white film from my Mamiya(RB67) then scanned with an Imacon.

Thanks for any help.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 10, 2008 19:57 |  #2

You need a backlight pointing towards her from behind, a light pointing towards a dark background seems kinda pointless.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Aug 10, 2008 23:08 |  #3

That is what I was thinking, just wanted to see what other people had to say. Is there any tricks to it or just set the strobe to 2/3 the power of the main strobe? Or is there a different ratio that works?
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 10, 2008 23:12 |  #4

Since the backlight is undiffused you probably won't need much power. Try it and see what you like.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

rooftopsuicideclub
595 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Aug 10, 2008 23:16 |  #5

The Fox wrote in post #6083825external link
That is what I was thinking, just wanted to see what other people had to say. Is there any tricks to it or just set the strobe to 2/3 the power of the main strobe? Or is there a different ratio that works?
Nick

as much as i love ratios, there's always a trick to it.
i wish there wasn't sometimes.

www.chrishaskellphotog​raphy.comexternal link

745 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Would You Do???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.