Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of October 2002 (Thu)   #1
Braveheart

Default I have a little problem, could somebody please help me out h

I added a Conversion lens adapter (CANON LA-DC58 ) to my G2, I them connected a 58mm UV filter to it, and topped it all off with a nice Canon Lens hood (LH-DC58 )

Now the problem is all these additions seem to block parts of the flash because they are wide and far out, so when I take indoor pictures with flash, one corner/side of the picture is darker, significantly and it somewhat ruins the picture.

Is this normal? I mean does that mean if I shoot indoors, I always have to take all these things off the camera?
Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2002 (Thu)   #2
dn7elson

Default Re: I have a little problem, could somebody please help me o

It's normal to the extent that anything projecting in the path of the flash will block its illumination.

You will need to go with an external flash, or remove the tube to avoid this.
dn7elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of October 2002 (Thu)   #3
Braveheart

I see, and how much would an external flash cost for G2? the cheaper one.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2002 (Thu)   #4
dn7elson

It looks like the Canon Speedlite 220EX runs about $150 and the 420EX around $200.

Unless you plan to use the flash a lot, it is probably simpler to just remove the lens tube for flash shots, or perhaps use the zoom to reduce the width of the image.
dn7elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of October 2002 (Thu)   #5
Braveheart

Yeah, it's probably a better idea to remove all the add ons when shooting inside.

Thanks for your help.
Old 25th of October 2002 (Fri)   #6
mjmcgarry

I disagree. Mostly because I think the built in flash is inadequate for good indoor photography. I bought the 420EX and the ability to bounce the flash off the ceiling makes a world of difference in the quality of the picture, IMHO. I would still remove all the extra attachments, though.

Braveheart, if you have not already spent all the money you got back when you returned your first G2 [and subsequently received a G2 as a gift] I would recommend the 420EX. It is worth its price.
mjmcgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of November 2002 (Tue)   #7
japeterson

I agree about the deficiency of the on-board flash, inherent with all such is the closeness to the lens for great "redeye" "silhouette shadows" along with weakness and poor fill.
I often use the 220ex with the Canon off-camera cable extension. The 220ex doesn't have a swivel head for bounce, but this way I hold the flash in my left hand and direct it where ever seems a good bounce location. It's not always the ceiling. The 220ex seems to have plenty of power for bounce for most of my indoor shots, and I feel I have much more control and flexibility with it off-camera.
japeterson is offline   Reply With Quote