FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 15 Aug 2008 (Friday) 19:39   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

RLopez
Joined Mar 2008
194 posts
Portland Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so strange things have been happening in my house lately, toys going off by themselves late at night, my kids seeing shadows etc etc. So i wanted to set up my camera on my tripod and try to capture "something".

I have a canon 30D, 18-55mm kit lens, tamron 2.8mm macro and a 75-300mm canon (out of the question)

So i was gonna set up my 30D on my tripod with the kit lens and buy a remote so when i hear toys going off late at nite try to capture something. Do you guys recomend using the on camera flash or buying an external flash? no flash? with digital photography so many things can appear like something that they're not.

Do any of you have any images you've captured like this? any tips? I would appreciate any comment and tips you guys might have. Thanx.

Post #1, Aug 15, 2008 19:39:26

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
runarut
Joined Sep 2007
198 posts
San Antonio, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

My opinion - your mileage may vary.

It is more likely activity is caused by more worldly agents. I would recommend a game camera. The kind that either senses motion by video motion or via sound based motion sensor. Many game cameras will use infrared "flash" for low light situations.

For a sampling of game cameras, see Cabellas or other fine outdoor equipment retailer.

Another alternative is to use a PC USB video camera coupled with motion detection software. Leave PC running with camera hooked up. Look in the morning to see what's up. Probably the least expensive option.

Post #2, Aug 15, 2008 19:45:46

Dusty
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,079 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

When I was new to photography I took some freaky images man, of people with their heads cut off !
Then I learned the rule of thirds and never seen those sort of shots in my camera again.

:oops:

Post #3, Aug 15, 2008 19:52:26 as a reply to runarut's post 6 minutes earlier.

Dusty
20Da , 7D , 5D, 5DII , 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

RLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
194 posts
Portland Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

runarut wrote in post #6115923external link
My opinion - your mileage may vary.

It is more likely activity is caused by more worldly agents. I would recommend a game camera. The kind that either senses motion by video motion or via sound based motion sensor. Many game cameras will use infrared "flash" for low light situations.

For a sampling of game cameras, see Cabellas or other fine outdoor equipment retailer.

Another alternative is to use a PC USB video camera coupled with motion detection software. Leave PC running with camera hooked up. Look in the morning to see what's up. Probably the least expensive option.

The toys going off happens late at night when im the only one awake like 2 nights ago when i was reading the bible a toy went off in the living room which is next to my room, all my kids were sleeping so no one else could have done it. It went off about 5 times in about an hour then once in the morning when i was getting ready for work.

Since all this happens when im awake i wanted to try to capture any images with the remote.

I wonder if theres any way a motion sensor can be used with the camera, i saw something like that that was used for liquid photography so the picture could be taken when the drop hit the water.

Dusty wrote in post #6115956external link
When I was new to photography I took some freaky images man, of people with their heads cut off !
Then I learned the rule of thirds and never seen those sort of shots in my camera again.

:oops:

I was reading the post all interested on the images then i read the rest lol, thats funny.

Post #4, Aug 15, 2008 20:30:21

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,762 posts
Grand Haven, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

The toy that "goes off"... is it battery powered? My daughters used to have a battery powered inch worm that would play music and say phrases. The batteries drained and the thing started going off by itself and it sounded demon possessed.

If you DO happen to catch something, post it! It would be awesome to see.

Post #5, Aug 15, 2008 21:00:59

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Websiteexternal link| Flickrexternal link| DeviantArtexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
RLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
194 posts
Portland Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

710 Studio wrote in post #6116257external link
The toy that "goes off"... is it battery powered? My daughters used to have a battery powered inch worm that would play music and say phrases. The batteries drained and the thing started going off by itself and it sounded demon possessed.

Yeah is battery powered but is not the only one that has gone off. Is a mix of a lot of stuff that happens, things falling, toys going off, shadows etc etc.

I think i am gonna buy me a remote and just try to capture something like that, im just gonna wait to see if anyone could give me more tips about the flash because sometimes a reflection of something could make shadows appear like something thats not really there.

Post #6, Aug 15, 2008 21:10:56

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Worry less about photography and worry more about seeking professional help. :)

**** happens. :)

Post #7, Aug 16, 2008 05:34:09

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

malskat
Joined Jun 2007
148 posts
Hampton Roads, Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

kenyc wrote in post #6117907external link

ooooo, That can be taken a couple different ways.... :confused:

Post #8, Aug 16, 2008 13:51:05

"An image can tell a thousand stories... or a thousand lies."

RLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
194 posts
Portland Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

kenyc wrote in post #6117907external link

malskat wrote in post #6119489external link
ooooo, That can be taken a couple different ways.... :confused:

lol i know, he didnt specify what kinda help :eek:

Post #9, Aug 16, 2008 17:20:21

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

:) :)

Post #10, Aug 16, 2008 17:25:04

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link

Stormin_24
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2006
5,810 posts
Southern New Hampshire, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a radio show that deals with this, that I've been listening to for many years... You may get some answers as well... http://www.coasttocoas​tam.com/external link

Paranormal? Believe it, it does happen...

Post #11, Aug 20, 2008 05:03:39

New Hampshire State Bird: Purple Finch
http://www.netstate.co​m ...birds/nh_purple_fin​ch.htmexternal link
Gear
Norman
Did they get you to trade, your hero's for ghosts?

sponsored links
Swaffs
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
4,500 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

why not just use a video camera? it can run all night!

Post #12, Aug 20, 2008 05:09:25

Rich Swaffs, Sports & Event photographer.
WWW.SWAFFSPHOTOGRAPHY.​CO.UKexternal link
1DMKIII x 2 | 5DMKII | WFT-E2 | SIGMA 10-20 | SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8 | CANON 24-105 f/4 L IS | CANON 85 f/1.2 L II | CANON 100 f/2.8 Macro | CANON 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | CANON 400 f/2.8 L | 580 EX | 1.4 & 2.0 Extenders| Tubes| Strobes| Bags | PW Flex TT1/TT5/Plus II's

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Stormin_24 wrote in post #6142971external link
Here's a radio show that deals with this, that I've been listening to for many years... You may get some answers as well... http://www.coasttocoas​tam.com/external link

Paranormal? Believe it, it does happen...

Well, you are what you eat. :)

Post #13, Aug 20, 2008 05:59:09

Kenny A. Chaffin

malskat
Joined Jun 2007
148 posts
Hampton Roads, Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmmmm

Post #14, Aug 20, 2008 17:03:38

"An image can tell a thousand stories... or a thousand lies."

londonblue007
Joined Jan 2008
852 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

710 Studio wrote in post #6116257external link

My wife has a Stitch doll, from the disney movie, it would wake up in the middle of the night and say random lines it was programmed with. Turns it out was a dying battery, but like above....

Post #15, Aug 20, 2008 17:10:31

Canon 50D; Battery Grip; Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8; Canon 50mm f/1.8; Canon 430 Speedlight;
websiteexternal link Flickrexternal link Facebookexternal link
hilbondphotography@gma​il.com

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paranormal photography..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES