Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 20 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 17:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New PC/Old CS - upgrade path?

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008
NJ USA
Aug 20, 2008 17:35 |  #1

I'm about to put in an order for a new PC... and wonder about the right Photoshop upgrade path. I've been using CS on an old W2K Pentium 4 system. I can (a) continue with CS while waiting for CS4; (b) grab PSE6 while waiting for CS4; or (c) upgrade to CS3 and forget about CS4. I'm a pure hobbyist and I have a lot to learn, about both photography and PP, but I'm willing to work at it. What would you recommend for me, and why? Thanks!

-- jgr
blogexternal link | gear | my birdsexternal linkhttp://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fKexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,590 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 20, 2008 18:25 |  #2

Can you skip three versions with the adobe upgrade scheme?

CS works fine, all CS3 will give you is newer ACR and more adjustment layers, nothing else makes much difference IMHO.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jgrussell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008
NJ USA
Aug 20, 2008 20:11 |  #3

tim wrote in post #6147077external link
Can you skip three versions with the adobe upgrade scheme?

You can upgrade from PS 7 to CS3 (skipping CS and CS2) so it stands to reason you could upgrade from CS to CS4 (skipping CS2 and CS3). In my case, I'm eligible for academic pricing anyway, so the upgrade pricing is not the issue.

-- jgr
blogexternal link | gear | my birdsexternal linkhttp://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fKexternal link

551 views & 0 likes for this thread
New PC/Old CS - upgrade path?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.