New PC/Old CS - upgrade path?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 20 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 17:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
Joined May 2008
18,758 posts
NJ USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm about to put in an order for a new PC... and wonder about the right Photoshop upgrade path. I've been using CS on an old W2K Pentium 4 system. I can (a) continue with CS while waiting for CS4; (b) grab PSE6 while waiting for CS4; or (c) upgrade to CS3 and forget about CS4. I'm a pure hobbyist and I have a lot to learn, about both photography and PP, but I'm willing to work at it. What would you recommend for me, and why? Thanks!

Post #1, Aug 20, 2008 17:35:49

-- jgr
blogexternal link | gear | my birdsexternal linkhttp://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fKexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,515 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you skip three versions with the adobe upgrade scheme?

CS works fine, all CS3 will give you is newer ACR and more adjustment layers, nothing else makes much difference IMHO.

Post #2, Aug 20, 2008 18:25:33

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jgrussell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Looking around nervously
Joined May 2008
18,758 posts
NJ USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #6147077external link
Can you skip three versions with the adobe upgrade scheme?

You can upgrade from PS 7 to CS3 (skipping CS and CS2) so it stands to reason you could upgrade from CS to CS4 (skipping CS2 and CS3). In my case, I'm eligible for academic pricing anyway, so the upgrade pricing is not the issue.

Post #3, Aug 20, 2008 20:11:34

-- jgr
blogexternal link | gear | my birdsexternal linkhttp://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fKexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
457 views & 0 likes for this thread
New PC/Old CS - upgrade path?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES