Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of August 2008 (Tue)   #1
JBP

Default Slow recycle time for 580 EX - any solution?

It seems like it takes this flash a couple of seconds to recycle fully and get ready for another shot - even with newly-charged AAs. Thus, I generally have quite a few "black" frames in every shoot. Is this a symptom of the flash? Is the 580 EXII much faster? I hate to be forced to use an external battery pack all the time. Help appreciated.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of August 2008 (Tue)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: Slow recycle time for 580 EX - any solution?

Yes, get a Canon CP-E4 battery pack. They go in your pocket, on your belt, or perhaps on the bottom of your camera, and the flash recharges about 3 times faster. Just be careful not to burn your flash out.

580EX II isn't significantly faster.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #3
heycow

Also, are these new batteries? They could need to be replaced. I had the same problem and a new set made a ton of difference. However, if you're shooting outdoors or at/near full power, not much you can do besides the CP-E4 or CP-E3 (can be found used) as Tim mentioned.

Family Photos :: My Maya-A-Day :: One Owen-A-Day
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler!
heycow is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #4
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Looking at the specs of the flash on B&H, it's fast recycle time is 3 seconds with alkaline, with rechargeable batteries it may be a touch quicker but a couple, meaning two, seconds sounds about right.

You may want to consider a battery pack as already mentioned.

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #5
snyper77

Get a CPE-3 used (battery pack), Powerex 2700 batteries (very strong power), and a good Maha charger. Thomas Distributing has a solid reputation and will get you the best battery power available! The CPE-3 will take 8 batteries...and your flash takes 4..... and it's always good to have an extra set of 4......therefore, grab this:

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/m...gfnvk2k9ibsdn1
snyper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #6
Lotto
Goldmember

Raise the ISO. I use 400 or higher if fast recycle is needed.
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #7
tim
Light Bringer

I find the CP-E3 battery magazine a bit flimsey, the CP-E4 seems more sturdy. At $150 new I wouldn't bother buying one used.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #8
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
It seems like it takes this flash a couple of seconds to recycle fully and get ready for another shot - even with newly-charged AAs. Thus, I generally have quite a few "black" frames in every shoot. Is this a symptom of the flash? Is the 580 EXII much faster? I hate to be forced to use an external battery pack all the time. Help appreciated.
It's not a studio strobe. You're never going to be able to mash down on your shutter non-stop and get successful pops every time without frying the flash unit. Get a CP-E4, adjust your expectations, and slow down.
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #9
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

What power is the flash firing? Unfortunately, the flash power used when in E-TTL mode isn't stored anywhere (to my knowledge at least) so it's hard to go back in time and see what's going on. Perhaps switch the flash to manual mode, fire a couple off at 1/1 and see what kind of recycle times you get. Then 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc.....

Like someone said, you can use half the power by upping the ISO one stop so if you're alway shooting at 100, go to 200 (or open up the aperture a stop).

My 580EXII with Eneloops recycles plenty fast for me. I don't time it, but I can always snap off a couple of shots in the time it would take my A510 P&S to focus for ONE shot (now that's a slow recycling flash, about 10 seconds!)
egordon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #10
JBP

Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful!
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote