Slow recycle time for 580 EX - any solution?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 22:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

JBP
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2008
12 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It seems like it takes this flash a couple of seconds to recycle fully and get ready for another shot - even with newly-charged AAs. Thus, I generally have quite a few "black" frames in every shoot. Is this a symptom of the flash? Is the 580 EXII much faster? I hate to be forced to use an external battery pack all the time. Help appreciated.

Post #1, Aug 26, 2008 22:58:13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, get a Canon CP-E4external link battery pack. They go in your pocket, on your belt, or perhaps on the bottom of your camera, and the flash recharges about 3 times faster. Just be careful not to burn your flash out.

580EX II isn't significantly faster.

Post #2, Aug 26, 2008 23:38:17

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

heycow
Joined Sep 2005
771 posts
Oakland, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, are these new batteries? They could need to be replaced. I had the same problem and a new set made a ton of difference. However, if you're shooting outdoors or at/near full power, not much you can do besides the CP-E4 or CP-E3 (can be found used) as Tim mentioned.

Post #3, Aug 27, 2008 00:36:56

Hello, my name is BEN

Family Photosexternal link :: My Maya-A-Dayexternal link :: One Owen-A-Dayexternal link
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler! :)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
Joined Feb 2006
10,595 posts
Pasadena, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking at the specs of the flash on B&H, it's fast recycle time is 3 seconds with alkaline, with rechargeable batteries it may be a touch quicker but a couple, meaning two, seconds sounds about right.

You may want to consider a battery pack as already mentioned.

Post #4, Aug 27, 2008 00:41:18

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/external link

http://groups.yahoo.co​m/group/LAShooters/external link

snyper77
Joined Jan 2007
657 posts
Gadsden, AL area
[MORE/SHARE]

Get a CPE-3 used (battery pack), Powerex 2700 batteries (very strong power), and a good Maha charger. Thomas Distributing has a solid reputation and will get you the best battery power available! The CPE-3 will take 8 batteries...and your flash takes 4..... and it's always good to have an extra set of 4......therefore, grab this:

http://thomasdistribut​ing.com ...bk8orul26ahgfnvk2k9​ibsdn1external link

Post #5, Aug 27, 2008 00:45:10

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Lotto
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
2,454 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Raise the ISO. I use 400 or higher if fast recycle is needed.

Post #6, Aug 27, 2008 01:52:09

5D, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 Macro, 580 & 430EX

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I find the CP-E3 battery magazine a bit flimsey, the CP-E4 seems more sturdy. At $150 new I wouldn't bother buying one used.

Post #7, Aug 27, 2008 02:21:48

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

JBP wrote in post #6186732external link
It seems like it takes this flash a couple of seconds to recycle fully and get ready for another shot - even with newly-charged AAs. Thus, I generally have quite a few "black" frames in every shoot. Is this a symptom of the flash? Is the 580 EXII much faster? I hate to be forced to use an external battery pack all the time. Help appreciated.

It's not a studio strobe. You're never going to be able to mash down on your shutter non-stop and get successful pops every time without frying the flash unit. Get a CP-E4, adjust your expectations, and slow down.

Post #8, Aug 27, 2008 02:28:13

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
10,247 posts
Philly 'burbs
[MORE/SHARE]

What power is the flash firing? Unfortunately, the flash power used when in E-TTL mode isn't stored anywhere (to my knowledge at least) so it's hard to go back in time and see what's going on. Perhaps switch the flash to manual mode, fire a couple off at 1/1 and see what kind of recycle times you get. Then 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc.....

Like someone said, you can use half the power by upping the ISO one stop so if you're alway shooting at 100, go to 200 (or open up the aperture a stop).

My 580EXII with Eneloops recycles plenty fast for me. I don't time it, but I can always snap off a couple of shots in the time it would take my A510 P&S to focus for ONE shot (now that's a slow recycling flash, about 10 seconds!)

Post #9, Aug 27, 2008 07:20:27 as a reply to cdifoto's post 4 hours earlier.

JBP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2008
12 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful!

Post #10, Aug 27, 2008 13:11:06

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slow recycle time for 580 EX - any solution?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES