How do you get RAW images off camera?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 27 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 18:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

zebelkinton
Joined Aug 2008
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Topic pretty much sums it up. I'm new to the digital world and I need someone to tell me how to get the pictures into RAW format. On the camera XSI I have it on Large RAW for selection yet when I download them the computer it puts them in JPEG format. The kicker is my camera did come with a CD but I have lost it in the recent move. So is there a website or link somewhere where I can get the software. I tried Canon's website but the stuff they have put on their website is not what was on the cd. Sorry for pestering this section of the forums. I'm a newbie :confused: Any help is great help I have spent countless hours trying to figure it out before I posted.

Thanks

Post #1, Aug 27, 2008 18:15:02

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
zebelkinton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Anybody?

Post #2, Aug 27, 2008 21:43:06

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Your understanding isn't quite right. It will never convert automatically from RAW to JPG, you have to use DPP, Photoshop, or something similar. It's user error of some kind, the trick is working out exactly what you're doing wrong. How are you downloading the images at the moment?

Copy the CR2 images from the card to the PC using a card reader, then process them and save them to whatever format you need.

Post #3, Aug 27, 2008 21:52:22

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

If your shooting in anything other than Av,Tv or M, the camera will only capture in JPG. If you want RAW or RAW + JPG, you need to shoot in the modes I just listed.

That's the way it works on the 40D. I imagine it's no different on the XSI.

Post #4, Aug 27, 2008 22:57:48

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

You're using windows I guess, and connect tde camera to download?

Raw Codec might help. Card reader will help for sure.

Post #5, Aug 28, 2008 00:43:21

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
pprice
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,714 posts
Gods Country (aka Mississippi)
[MORE/SHARE]

All you have to do is open your camera files (plug in your camera/my computer/40D or whatever icon/highlight all the files/drag them to another file).

Once you have them in the new file they will show as a CR2 file. You will have to have a program that can open the raw file (such as PS) to open them.

This is kind of a dummyfied (did I make that word up?)way to do it, but it gives you the idea.

Post #6, Aug 28, 2008 00:57:08

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you get RAW images off camera?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES