Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #1
zebelkinton

Default How do you get RAW images off camera?

Topic pretty much sums it up. I'm new to the digital world and I need someone to tell me how to get the pictures into RAW format. On the camera XSI I have it on Large RAW for selection yet when I download them the computer it puts them in JPEG format. The kicker is my camera did come with a CD but I have lost it in the recent move. So is there a website or link somewhere where I can get the software. I tried Canon's website but the stuff they have put on their website is not what was on the cd. Sorry for pestering this section of the forums. I'm a newbie Any help is great help I have spent countless hours trying to figure it out before I posted.

Thanks
zebelkinton is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #2
zebelkinton

Default Re: How do you get RAW images off camera?

Anybody?
zebelkinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #3
tim
Light Bringer

Your understanding isn't quite right. It will never convert automatically from RAW to JPG, you have to use DPP, Photoshop, or something similar. It's user error of some kind, the trick is working out exactly what you're doing wrong. How are you downloading the images at the moment?

Copy the CR2 images from the card to the PC using a card reader, then process them and save them to whatever format you need.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of August 2008 (Wed)   #4
bohdank
Cream of the Crop

If your shooting in anything other than Av,Tv or M, the camera will only capture in JPG. If you want RAW or RAW + JPG, you need to shoot in the modes I just listed.

That's the way it works on the 40D. I imagine it's no different on the XSI.

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer
Flickr
bohdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2008 (Thu)   #5
René Damkot
Cream of the Crop

You're using windows I guess, and connect tde camera to download?

Raw Codec might help. Card reader will help for sure.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2008 (Thu)   #6
pprice

All you have to do is open your camera files (plug in your camera/my computer/40D or whatever icon/highlight all the files/drag them to another file).

Once you have them in the new file they will show as a CR2 file. You will have to have a program that can open the raw file (such as PS) to open them.

This is kind of a dummyfied (did I make that word up?)way to do it, but it gives you the idea.