Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 06:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Removing head from manfrotto 3051 tripod

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Sep 13, 2008 06:32 |  #1

Okay, the good news I am now in possession of a manfrotto 3051 tripod w/a 3160 head (Man the thing is heavy). Now my question..how do I go about removing the head so I can change it.. I dont see anything obvious to loosen to remove it. Does anybody have instructions or a diagram on how to do it, I really dont want to remove thigs that dont need to be removed if there is a simple way of doing it that I am unaware of.

Also does anybody know where I could get a owners manual for it.

Thanks

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,450 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 13, 2008 06:38 |  #2

Raise the center column and look UNDER the silver-colored plate at the top of the center column. You will find three setscrews. If the setscrews are the ones supplied with the tripod (and not replacements, that is) a small conventional flat-tipped screwdriver is what you need to loosen them about three or four turns. You don't need to totally remove the setscrews.

Once the setscrews are loose, lower the center column again and tighten the knob that locks it in place.

Tighten up the head's pan lock and then unscrew the head from the tripod. If the head turns a little but not fully, you may need to loosen one or more of the setscrews a bit more.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Sep 13, 2008 06:56 |  #3

That was quick thanks, I saw them but wasnt sure if they needed to be messed with. Will give it a go...
Worked thanks again

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

2,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Removing head from manfrotto 3051 tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.