Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 22 Sep 2008 (Monday) 05:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN to start, new site for NOINKERS!!!

PiRho
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007
1Hr from DuckTown
Sep 22, 2008 05:26 |  #1

Well folks it's been hinted at <Thread HERE> <Specific Post HERE> that POTN will soon start a new forum for those who have issues with using white lenses! :D

Thanks to Mike for the suggestion of discussing this in here :)

anybody else like the sounds of this hype ? yes/no tell us about it :D

~Z
| KH-20 | ...| XKCDexternal link | OOTSexternal link | CADexternal link | WTDexternal link |
"Photography is no more about cameras, then mathematics is about calculators" ~ Z

sponsored links
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
Sep 22, 2008 05:36 |  #2

It would be great to have more people on POTN sharing their knowledge and images for sure, there is such great community spirit here it would be great to share it. I can't see a problem, save for maybe the minority who would start arguments just like the Windows/Mac ones.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

PiRho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007
1Hr from DuckTown
Sep 22, 2008 05:39 |  #3

yeah but it doesn't sound like it is going to be directly connected to POTN! not like a subforum, it sounds more like a seperate site :( which would mean we would lose several people who have been sharing a lot of awesome knowledge here on POTN

~Z
| KH-20 | ...| XKCDexternal link | OOTSexternal link | CADexternal link | WTDexternal link |
"Photography is no more about cameras, then mathematics is about calculators" ~ Z

sadatk
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Atlanta
Sep 22, 2008 05:44 |  #4

I would really rather not start a new site like Nikon Cafe. Nikon people still roam here because of the wealth of info from the large userbase. Lighting and post processing techniques are universal.

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Sep 22, 2008 05:58 |  #5

PiRho,
I personally wish it was here....
ex. lets say I say the heck with my Canon and go to Nikon now I have to go to another forum run by the same person? ???

Pekka wrote in post #6354189external link
Splitting EOS Camera forum to specific models: I prefer to keep all EOS cameras in one place because they are quite similar and all share the know-how regardless of wallet size. If traffic gets higher we might need the split, but not in near future.

I wish he would apply this thinking to multiple DSLR's, and photographers can all share the know-how regardless of camera they use!

Just my opinion of course ;)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

PiRho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007
1Hr from DuckTown
Sep 22, 2008 07:27 |  #6

John, I hear what your saying. one of the things that I really love about POTN is that it is so diverse! that is truly a blessing because there are people here that are good with just about any kind of camera that has been made. having such a great diversity of knowledge, and the fact that those on POTN tend to be very VERY helpful and kind is one of the biggest reasons that I joined here! friendly community minded people with more combined knowledge than anywhere else!

I agree that I would really like if this "another plan" would be more along the lines of making POTN not only specifically Canon. even though we are not exclusive even now, we don't have specific sub-forums aimed at the other cameras. the one thing that I see could really make it go bad fast, is there would be a lot of hostile 'comparisons' between cameras. please note I am not against comparing cameras, even if they are made by differing manufacturers. (I have a good friend that shoots NOINK, and I don't hold that against him) keeping those hostile comparisons down to a minimum would take a whole lot of manpower, I think they would have to double the number of mods... anyway, I am definitely not against the idea, I just wanted to start the rumor :D

~Z

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England
Sep 27, 2008 08:47 |  #7

If it got rid of the Nikon trolls on here, I'd be all for it...

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Blyth, Northumberland, NE England
Sep 27, 2008 08:48 |  #8

PiRho wrote in post #6356842external link
I agree that I would really like if this "another plan" would be more along the lines of making POTN not only specifically Canon. even though we are not exclusive even now

More's the bloody pity!

I want a Canon forum that's just that. If I want to read about Nikon I'm quite capable of finding my way to Nikonians or Nikoncafe.

Indeed, I wish POTN was more like Nikoncafe in some respects: POTN is overly tolerant of the Noink trolls and fanboys that spend their time on here, whereas "The Cafe" has banned several members (including some individuals who are POTN members too) for simply pointing out positives in the Canon line up - and in a way which was far less inflammatory and provocative than the kind of crap that Noink fanboys get away with here all the time.

PiRho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007
1Hr from DuckTown
Sep 28, 2008 07:18 |  #9

Keith R wrote in post #6390688external link
More's the bloody pity!

I want a Canon forum that's just that. If I want to read about Nikon I'm quite capable of finding my way to Nikonians or Nikoncafe.

Indeed, I wish POTN was more like Nikoncafe in some respects: POTN is overly tolerant of the Noink trolls and fanboys that spend their time on here, whereas "The Cafe" has banned several members (including some individuals who are POTN members too) for simply pointing out positives in the Canon line up - and in a way which was far less inflammatory and provocative than the kind of crap that Noink fanboys get away with here all the time.

I too would enjoy having an exclusive forum, however, I must say that I find the tolorence that POTN mods have just shows that this forum is more mature than those others. I like to kid my noink friend about his d3oo, and when I do that he likes to call me an elitist, this is all fun and games... but if I were to make a judgement on which brand of photogs tend to be more elite... they both are! I am proud of my gear, and what it can do, and so are they, as they should be! noink gear is very good (to me as a paper weight ;) ) just kidding, I just prefer the look, feel, and handling of my canon.

not trying to start a controversy here... :( I meant the thread more as a joke. I guess I am having second thoughts.. don't wanna get myself banned for stirring stuff up :(

~Z

arrgeebee
835 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Rhode Island
Sep 28, 2008 07:29 |  #10

I love POTN! It's why I still stick around even after I made the switch to Nikon. When I made the switch I joined a couple of the "other" N based forums and I have to say that I miss POTN terribly. They simply don't have the same members, community, moderators or structure.

I like the idea of POTN catering to Nikon users as well but I DON'T think a new site will be the answer. I think the only way it would appeal to me and other noinkers is to simply integrate Nikon into the current structure. Not much would need to change really. When you think about it, the equipment talk sections are the only areas that are specific to Canon. Adding corresponding Nikon sections can't be too much work. Then we'd get the benefit of being able to share photos, stories and experiences, no matter what you shoot with.

I think that POTN broadening their horizon to include Nikon is a great idea. We definitely do NOT need another nikoncafe/nikonians, etc though. Simply open the existing world to black lenses and success will be easy!

Bob
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=469159
My Galleryexternal link - My Gear

PiRho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Long live the TF!
4,538 posts
Joined Dec 2007
1Hr from DuckTown
Sep 28, 2008 11:22 |  #11

RGB,
actually I have to say that there is probably enough "X lens sharper than Y" out there, if POTN added a Noink equip sections... it would add a whole lot of stress on the Moderators... I know they are working hard enough already keeping an eye on me ;) so... I am not sure that I would really like them to be spread any thinner... besides the increase in bandwidth needed could be a significant expense... I dunno. I have no problem with folks who are truly interested in photography joining here, no matter what they shoot, but I think that specifically catering to both Canon and Noink may be asking for mod trouble. that's my thoughts on it anyway.

~Z

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 28, 2008 16:51 |  #12

Well nothing is definite yet, but I think you are too quickly discounting the concept of a pair of forums nestled comfortably together under the POTN mast head, each with there specific system in mind.

For the Canon shooting POTN shooters that switched to Noink, I can see the appeal for keeping it all together, but lets not forget that reason POTN is so great. It was the members that helped guide the atmosphere, and grew it to it's current state.

If we add Nikon forums, than the Canon Digital Photography forums will cease to be what it is, and we will be emulating every other tom dick and harry mega forum out there, complete with all the cross posting and in fighting and flame wars that are inherent with locking up two differing species in the same cage.

A separate but equal forum will allow many advantages:

We will remain unique.

We will allow the membership once again to take a significant lead in the growth and direction the forum goes in from day one, as opposed to new Noink shooters inheriting the existing POTN. (The direction may in fact differ from POTN, that will grow organically. )

Currently the vast majority of the growing number of Noink shooters here were either Canon shooters first, or had switched to Canon for Digital in the past,.
With the introduction of Nikon forums, either separate or part of the current forums, that would change. We would quickly attract the long time Noink shooters as well.
In no time, I feel that the number of Noink shooters NOT interesting in Canon gear would out grow our current ones that do.

Marketing options are also something the owner has n mind, separating possibly conflicting marketing approaches is simply good business sense.

Lastly, if at some point the idea of merging them seemed to be the more logical option, this would be FAR easier to do than separating the two entities,. in fact separation would be essentially impossible.

Launching it as a separate yet equal forum side by side with the current Canon forum poses no risk to the current Canon forum, none at all, and leaves the fates separated.

I understand for some it would be "easier" if we simply added other equipment forums,.

But frankly I do not think the "easier" option is the correct one in this case, life is often that way. the harder option is often the one that offers the best end results. So we need to be ready to apply extra effort to get the best new POTN Nikon forum.

Choosing the easy way of adding new forums is not the safest option, it's not the most elegant, and it's certainly not the unique concept that the other option is.

As for it becoming another "nikon cafe" I have no personal experiences there, but I do know that the POTN members shooting Nikon now, if they are willing to jump in with there boots on and help set a standard in a new fresh (and remember, VERY SMALL and there for VERY manageable forum) if they are willing to put there money where there mouth is and lend a helping hand in guiding new members and moderating the new forum with care and knowledge of the Nikon system, then you are the ones that can make the new POTN Nikon forum what it should be.

IMHO it will be a great opportunity to once again create a forum from the ground up that will put the others to shame.

So don't think about what will be easier, instead think about how YOU can be a guiding member of a new forum with a stake holding share in it from the ground floor.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BenJammin
Joined Apr 2007
Florida
Sep 28, 2008 16:55 |  #13

I wish it was here, I would like to be able to be on this forum and see what's going on with Nikon's consumers.

Canon 1D III & Canon 5D
Tokina 10-17 | 17-40L | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L
www.benkilpatrick.comexternal link
www.benkilpatrick.tumb​lr.comexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 28, 2008 16:57 |  #14

Funny enough, I'm only "aware" of like three Nikon users. The rest I have no idea exist because they don't advertise the fact. I don't see the trolling referred to in this thread.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 28, 2008 17:03 |  #15

If there becomes a Nikon-on-the.net forum, I call dibs on my username. I don't want some other schmo stealing my identity. They might commit suicide after discovering what it entails.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

sponsored links

9,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN to start, new site for NOINKERS!!!
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.