Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #1
johnathanesper

Question are multi-coated filters worth double the price of non MC filters?

are the double prices for Hoya's HMC (multi-coated) filters worth the extra money?
Thanks!
Johnathan Esper
www.wildernessphotographs.com
johnathanesper is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #2
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

Default Re: are multi-coated filters worth double the price of non MC filters?

Yes. Here's a post I made in a previous thread. I purposely set up an extreme situation to show the effects of a cheap filter on flare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W
The context of this thread, and another thread on another web site (I'm cheating on y'all) provoked me to take this series of images. All were shot with a very bright flashlight shining into the camera lens, just off to the left. Granted, its a worst-case situation, but I think it demonstrates the effects of filters on flare.

first, the lens without filter:

Now, the inexpensive Canon UV/Haze filter (note the drastic increase in flare):

And finally, with a Hoya Super HMC multicoated UV filter (note that it is very close to the unfiltered image):
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #3
johnathanesper

thanks! that was very helpful!
johnathanesper is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #4
tim
Light Bringer

From that, if you bother to get a filter, get a good one. I recently took the expensive hoya filter off my Tamron, I figured it wasn't doing any good, but I might put it back on now... or at least do a few tests myself.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #5
Huckaback Photo

Yes is the correct answer. best Hoya HMC or B & W quallity filters are great.
Huckaback Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #6
pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER

I recently bought a Hoya Super Multicoated UV filter from Adorama for my 85mm, like the one Tom W showed above. The salesman called me and said he could sell me a Tiffen 3 filter kit for $10 more than just the UV I had just ordered. When I said I'd rather have one good filter than three cheap-o ones, he said, "Ok, that's your business. I was just trying to be helpful".
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip
pcasciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #7
ijohnson

I have never paid to much attention to the difference. I always buy the most expensive one because I can't bring myself to put $30 glass in front of my $1000 lens. It just doesn't make sense. I don't like using them at all but I do because I couldn't bear to see the Canon glass scratched.
ijohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2005 (Wed)   #8
12345Michael54321

Multi-coating is better in a fair percentage of situations. It's very rarely worse.

If you're willing to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for your camera, and hundreds or thousands of dollars more for your lenses, does it really make sense to run a non-trivial risk of compromising image quality in order to save $20-60 (that being the typical price difference between multi-coated and non-multi-coated filters)?

I mean, final image quality is the result of a "chain" of factors (proper focus, proper exposure, steadiness of camera support, lens quality, etc.), where a single weak "link" can significantly impair the ultimate outcome. Spending a few extra bucks on a top qualilty filter can turn a potentially weak link into a strong one. Seems like a no brainer kind of decision to me.
12345Michael54321 is offline   Reply With Quote