Thread started 27 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 14:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

While waiting for price and availability info to be published, at least there's now the owner's manual to peruse:

http://elinchrom.com ...s/BXRi/BX-Ri_3%20Lang.pdfexternal link

Apologies if this has already been posted here.

Dave F.

Post #1, Sep 27, 2008 14:04:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

So these have the SkyPort Receiver built in? Cool...

Post #2, Sep 27, 2008 14:09:18

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DavidPhoto
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

not sure what the reason to go to the RX will be anymore. Is the RX faster? Also anyone know what the EL Skyport SPEED is that is referred to?

Post #3, Sep 27, 2008 17:15:48

Rudi
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2002
3,744 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidPhoto wrote in post #6392901external link
not sure what the reason to go to the RX will be anymore. Is the RX faster? Also anyone know what the EL Skyport SPEED is that is referred to?

Much faster flash duration, more power range, etc.

Post #4, Sep 27, 2008 19:25:44

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongongexternal link
• Borrowed Moment (blog)external link

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

eduardofrances
Joined Oct 2006
679 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cool it even has the pre-flash skip feature of the Genesis and the EXD 200 and they come with Skyport included? AWESOME! now you just need to buy the RX skyport trasnmitter!!!

If they work with Vagabond II and/or Explorer XT it will be Heaven! -Although I am not putting too much faith in this one though :(-

Post #5, Sep 27, 2008 19:42:56 as a reply to Rudi's post 17 minutes earlier.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/external link :D

sponsored links
Hermes
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,375 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

There's no separate RX transmitter, just the one universal transmitter that works with everything.

Post #6, Sep 27, 2008 20:27:12

eduardofrances
Joined Oct 2006
679 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hermes wrote in post #6393644external link
There's no separate RX transmitter, just the one universal transmitter that works with everything.

oops :) my mistake

Post #7, Sep 27, 2008 21:28:12

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/external link :D

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a scenario with a question that perhaps someone can answer.

I use Pocket Wizards and love the seamless integration between the Sekonic L-758DR and Pocket Wizards for radio triggering. I also like the Skyports and the control you can have over the RX and new strobes coming out soon.

I don't want to give up the radio triggering from the Sekonic meter. Although some people are willing to have an extra transmitter attached to their light meter or use the meter in cordless auto reset mode I don't care for either of those scenarios.

My plan was to integrate Skyports and Pocket Wizards by having a Skyport transmitter on the camera with the sync output of a Pocket Wizard and a Skyport receiver feeding the sync input of my strobes via a 'Y' connector. This allows for the Sekonic meter to trigger the strobes as well as the camera to trigger and in the case of RX's, control other features from the camera.

I've tested that. It works very nicely.

So the question is this.... will the new strobes with built in Skyports facilitate having a Pocket Wizard plugged in to the sync jack, whereby allowing the Sekonic meter to trigger the strobes for metering and have the built in Skyport receiver trigger from the Skyport transmitter on the camera, or will one cancel the other out and not allow for the 'merge' of sync?

Post #8, Sep 27, 2008 21:40:34 as a reply to eduardofrances's post 12 minutes earlier.

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

Hermes
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,375 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

TMR Design wrote in post #6393928external link
Here's a scenario with a question that perhaps someone can answer.

I use Pocket Wizards and love the seamless integration between the Sekonic L-758DR and Pocket Wizards for radio triggering. I also like the Skyports and the control you can have over the RX and new strobes coming out soon.

I don't want to give up the radio triggering from the Sekonic meter. Although some people are willing to have an extra transmitter attached to their light meter or use the meter in cordless auto reset mode I don't care for either of those scenarios.

My plan was to integrate Skyports and Pocket Wizards by having a Skyport transmitter on the camera with the sync output of a Pocket Wizard and a Skyport receiver feeding the sync input of my strobes via a 'Y' connector. This allows for the Sekonic meter to trigger the strobes as well as the camera to trigger and in the case of RX's, control other features from the camera.

I've tested that. It works very nicely.

So the question is this.... will the new strobes with built in Skyports facilitate having a Pocket Wizard plugged in to the sync jack, whereby allowing the Sekonic meter to trigger the strobes for metering and have the built in Skyport receiver trigger from the Skyport transmitter on the camera, or will one cancel the other out and not allow for the 'merge' of sync?

Robert, I'd really have another think about using the skyport system for everything if I were you.

For starters, when you're metering remote adjustable lights like the RXs or the new BXs, you'll want to have a skyport transmitter in your hand anyway so you can make adjustments to the power without having to move from the metering spot - it would be a total waste of the remote capabilities of the system (not to mention a huge waste of time) if you were to keep walking back and forth between the metering spot and the camera taking indvidual readings and making periodic adjustments to the power, when you can just take the transmitter with you and get everything metered perfectly in seconds.

In that scenario, I really can't see why you wouldn't want to just set the meter to cordless - that way you can make adjustments with the transmitter and press the test button when you're done. It's the same number of button-presses as usng the built in trigger for the PWs, it's just as accurate, and it's just as fast, if not faster.

FYI, yes you can adjust the lights with the skyports and trigger them seperately through the sync socket - having said that I don't think I'll ever understand why you'd want to take an intergrated system that works automatically and wirelessly on a shared power supply, and subject it to battery-powered receivers which constantly need to be replaced/recharged, which add excess bulk to every light/stand, which rely on sync cords, and which have to be turned off and on between shoots giving yourself an extra thing to do every time you set up, and an extra thing to double-check every time something isn't firing.

Post #9, Sep 27, 2008 23:38:22

Joined Jan 2005
863 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Hermes wrote in post #6394401external link
Robert, I'd really have another think about using the skyport system for everything if I were you.

For starters, when you're metering remote adjustable lights like the RXs or the new BXs, you'll want to have a skyport transmitter in your hand anyway so you can make adjustments to the power without having to move from the metering spot - it would be a total waste of the remote capabilities of the system (not to mention a huge waste of time) if you were to keep walking back and forth between the metering spot and the camera taking indvidual readings and making periodic adjustments to the power, when you can just take the transmitter with you and get everything metered perfectly in seconds.

In that scenario, I really can't see why you wouldn't want to just set the meter to cordless - that way you can make adjustments with the transmitter and press the test button when you're done. It's the same number of button-presses as usng the built in trigger for the PWs, it's just as accurate, and it's just as fast, if not faster.

FYI, yes you can adjust the lights with the skyports and trigger them seperately through the sync socket - having said that I don't think I'll ever understand why you'd want to take an intergrated system that works automatically and wirelessly on a shared power supply, and subject it to battery-powered receivers which constantly need to be replaced/recharged, which add excess bulk to every light/stand, which rely on sync cords, and which have to be turned off and on between shoots giving yourself an extra thing to do every time you set up, and an extra thing to double-check every time something isn't firing.

Shhhhh!! You arent allowed to say anything negative about Elinchrom products!

Everything they make works flawlessly and they make the best products evar!

Post #10, Sep 27, 2008 23:40:48

40D,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,Nifty Fifty,Vixia HV30 HD

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

2112 wrote in post #6394415external link

What's the point of this post?

Post #11, Sep 27, 2008 23:45:28

sponsored links
Joined Jan 2005
863 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

TMR Design wrote in post #6394433external link
What's the point of this post?

Hmm, I dunno. Maybe the fact that everytime a member wants opinions on Elinchroms and I give my honest one, I get chastised for "bashing" them. Just because its an unpopular opinion to have :rolleyes:

Post #12, Sep 27, 2008 23:48:45

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

What goes on in other threads should have nothing to do with this one. No one said squat to you and you just decided to chime in with your usual nasty sarcastic crap.

We are all so tired of you. You do not own Elinchrom's and you do bash them every chance you get. Every single thread that comes up with someone wanting objectivity you're right there with negativity. Owners of Elinchrom strobes use them and have tested them. You admittedly have not. You speak about them as if you have and you parade around here acting like Alien Bees are the coolest thing on planet Earth. Give it a rest man.

Once again, do you realize how many Private messages I've gotten in the last two days from members that are so tired of your childish nonsense and garbage you spew here. You are a detriment to this forum and its members. No one likes you. You have such a high opinion of yourself and your own work and rarely if ever have a nice thing to say about anyone else or their work.

You're rude, obnoxious and a child. You still don't get it. Don't you realize how the POTN community laughs at you? You make me sick!
We would all benefit from having you take your crap somewhere else. NO one respects you. You make me laugh and puke at the same time. What a loser!

Post #13, Sep 27, 2008 23:58:59 as a reply to 2112's post 10 minutes earlier.

Joined Jan 2005
863 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

TMR Design wrote in post #6394492external link
What goes on in other threads should have nothing to do with this one. No one said squat to you and you just decided to chime in with your usual nasty sarcastic crap.

We are all so tired of you. You do not own Elinchrom's and you do bash them every chance you get. Every single thread the comes up with someone wanting objectivity you're right there with negativity. Owners of Elinchrom strobes use them and have tested them. You admittedly have not. You speak about them as if you have and you parade around here acting like Alien Bees are the coolest thing on planet Earth. Give it a rest man.

Once again, do you realize how many Private messages I've gotten in the last two days from members that are so tired of your childish nonsense and garbage you spew here. You are a detriment to this forum and it's members. No one likes you. You have such a high opinion of yourself and your own work and rarely if ever have a nice thing to say about anyone else or their work.

You're rude, obnoxious and a child. You still don't get it. Don't you realize how the POTN community laughs at you? You make me sick!
We would all benefit from having you take your crap somewhere else. NO one respects you. You make me laugh and puke at the same time. What a loser!

Another post full of personal attacks and insults. Disagreeing with other's opinions is not against the rules, but what you are doing here IS. You are well on your way to being banned, keep it up :) If I bother you so much, simply add me to your ignore list.

Post #14, Sep 28, 2008 00:04:00

Hermes
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,375 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

2112 wrote in post #6394415external link

Did you even read the post? my main point was that using pocket wizards was a waste of time when there was a built-in wireless system which did the same job, consequently meaning that the user will have the transmitter on them at all times anyway.

I have no particular loyalty to Elinchrom, they simply make the best monoblocs I've ever used and the RX/skyport combo has been a godsend for my studio work, allowing me to shoot and meter much faster which stops my clients drifting off and stops my models freezing whilst they're waiting for me or an assistant to climb up a ladder to adjust the power on a head. If I shot pack/head then I'd probably go with Broncolor because I like the features on their packs more. It's a living.

Post #15, Sep 28, 2008 00:10:46

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom BX 500Ri Manual ...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES