Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 09:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pet Photography - what lenses

mineymole
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Sep 29, 2008 09:19 |  #1
banned

I have a Rebel XSi. What lenses do you all recommend for shooting pets - natural light, candid.

Canon XSi • Canon 30D -- for sale
Canon EFS 17-55 f/2.8, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, Speedlight 580ex II

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 29, 2008 09:23 |  #2

If you have a helper managing the pet you can get further back like 50mm or 85mm on your crop but if it is mostly just you, you need to be fairly wide so you can also keep their attention and manage the location. You already have like 4 or 5 lenses that could be used for it; are you looking for another?

85mm on full frame (since I wanted a thin depth of field):

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2307402827_e05fb2fc0d.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://flickr.com ...s/alexfirmani/23074​02827/] (external link)

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

mineymole
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Sep 29, 2008 09:25 |  #3
banned

TheHoff wrote in post #6402292 (external link)
If you have a helper managing the pet you can get further back like 50mm or 85mm on your crop but if it is mostly just you, you need to be fairly wide so you can also keep their attention and manage the location. You already have like 4 or 5 lenses that could be used for it; are you looking for another?

85mm on full frame (since I wanted a thin depth of field):

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://flickr.com ...s/alexfirmani/23074​02827/] (external link)

Fantastic shot!

I have used my 50 1.4 and 85 1.4.... I am wondering if a zoom would be better - but obviously one that focuses fast!

One question - forgive me because I am NEW to this - is your dog shot done with natural light or was it lit? If so, what was your setup? Thanks in advance for the info.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 29, 2008 09:32 |  #4

mineymole wrote in post #6402306external link
Fantastic shot!

I have used my 50 1.4 and 85 1.4.... I am wondering if a zoom would be better - but obviously one that focuses fast!

One question - forgive me because I am NEW to this - is your dog shot done with natural light or was it lit? If so, what was your setup? Thanks in advance for the info.

Thanks; it was some natural light plus a bounced flash. There is a big window to my left, I had a 580 on the hotshoe, bounced back and to the left to accentuate it and then I had a modeling lamp on the background... really pretty simple, this was done before I bought more lighting gear.

I would say a zoom would be better assuming you have enough light and are going to stop it down or use f/4+. If, however, you're aiming for natural light photos with thin depth of field, you'll need something faster in aperture and quick focusing. That can be a zoom... my 16-35 is super fast in focus and sharp at all apertures and would make a good lens for it, but for less depth of field you'll want a longer focal length and a larger aperture.

And then you're going to have focus issues because pets just don't stay put... so you're asking for a tough setup. Using flash and stopping down the lens will get you more keepers.. so if you do use the natural light and wide apertures you'll need to shoot a lot of frames.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Portage, Wisconsin USA
Sep 29, 2008 09:38 |  #5

I get the best results when I stay back a ways and give them space and freedom to do their thing. 200mm or 300mm.

GEAR LIST

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 29, 2008 09:40 |  #6

Yup, that is a good point, too (assuming you're outside and not meaning window light).

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philly 'burbs
Sep 29, 2008 10:50 |  #7

You already have some excellent lenses. How do you find them lacking? What a zoom would give you is more flexibility in framing/composition and keep you from having to change lenses as often.

I do most of my "people" shooting with my 30mm and 85mm f/1.8, and I'm totally spoiled by the image quality, that it's worth it for me to deal with "zooming with my feet" and more lens changes. From my research, the Canon 24-70L might approach the quality of these two primes (albeit a bit slower @f/2.8) so that would probably be MY only choice if I were to switch to a zoom for the 24-85 range.

mineymole wrote in post #6402306external link

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Sep 29, 2008 11:00 |  #8

Indoors, usually the 24-70 and 70-200. Outdoors, more the 70-200.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mineymole
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Sep 29, 2008 11:23 |  #9
banned

egordon99 wrote in post #6402799external link
You already have some excellent lenses. How do you find them lacking? What a zoom would give you is more flexibility in framing/composition and keep you from having to change lenses as often.

I do most of my "people" shooting with my 30mm and 85mm f/1.8, and I'm totally spoiled by the image quality, that it's worth it for me to deal with "zooming with my feet" and more lens changes. From my research, the Canon 24-70L might approach the quality of these two primes (albeit a bit slower @f/2.8) so that would probably be MY only choice if I were to switch to a zoom for the 24-85 range.

None lacking. Just wondering if the 17-55 IS or the 24-80 would be better.
I'm very grateful for all the advice.

mineymole
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Sep 29, 2008 11:23 |  #10
banned

TheHoff wrote in post #6402344external link
Thanks; it was some natural light plus a bounced flash. There is a big window to my left, I had a 580 on the hotshoe, bounced back and to the left to accentuate it and then I had a modeling lamp on the background... really pretty simple, this was done before I bought more lighting gear.

I would say a zoom would be better assuming you have enough light and are going to stop it down or use f/4+. If, however, you're aiming for natural light photos with thin depth of field, you'll need something faster in aperture and quick focusing. That can be a zoom... my 16-35 is super fast in focus and sharp at all apertures and would make a good lens for it, but for less depth of field you'll want a longer focal length and a larger aperture.

And then you're going to have focus issues because pets just don't stay put... so you're asking for a tough setup. Using flash and stopping down the lens will get you more keepers.. so if you do use the natural light and wide apertures you'll need to shoot a lot of frames.

Thank you so much for your advice.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philly 'burbs
Sep 29, 2008 11:49 |  #11

I'm going to assume you mean the 24-70L.....

I've been debating this in my mind - I'd LOVE a 24-70L for event work, and one way to fund it would be to sell my two primes. I'd lose about two stops of light, but it would be more versatile. I've yet to see someone offer a definete opinion on the IMAGE QUALITY of the L vs. the two excellent primes. But everytime I snap a shot of my five month old son with my 85mm f/1.8, I give up the idea.

mineymole wrote in post #6402992external link
None lacking. Just wondering if the 17-55 IS or the 24-80 would be better.
I'm very grateful for all the advice.

mineymole
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Sep 29, 2008 11:52 |  #12
banned

egordon99 wrote in post #6403148external link
I'm going to assume you mean the 24-70L.....

I've been debating this in my mind - I'd LOVE a 24-70L for event work, and one way to fund it would be to sell my two primes. I'd lose about two stops of light, but it would be more versatile. I've yet to see someone offer a definete opinion on the IMAGE QUALITY of the L vs. the two excellent primes. But everytime I snap a shot of my five month old son with my 85mm f/1.8, I give up the idea.

Yes I have been giving some thought to the 24-70L or the Sigma 24-70.

rushnp774
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Oct 11, 2008 18:41 |  #13

By far, my best pet portraits are from my "nifty fifty" f/1.8 lens. Check out my pics on Flickr if you'd like to see them. I only have that lens and a crappy Sigma 28-105, so I tend to leave the 50mm on there most of the time.

Metavo Photoexternal link - Photoshop, Lightoom, and Photoshop Elements Tutorials

Ultimate ­ CC
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Oct 25, 2008 22:11 |  #14

70-200 2.8IS outdoors is my go to lens now but i used to love the 100-400L

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

My Gear And For Sale Items
www.danhonovich.comexternal link
www.danhonovich.blogsp​ot.comexternal link

mineymole
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Rhinebeck, New York
Oct 26, 2008 08:23 |  #15
banned

rushnp774 wrote in post #6478886external link
By far, my best pet portraits are from my "nifty fifty" f/1.8 lens. Check out my pics on Flickr if you'd like to see them. I only have that lens and a crappy Sigma 28-105, so I tend to leave the 50mm on there most of the time.

How do I find you on flickr?

sponsored links

52,619 views & 13 likes for this thread
Pet Photography - what lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.