Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of September 2008 (Mon)   #1
tkoutdoor

Default Bad internal battery in 5D?

I've recently purchased a 5D at the end of the spring rebate period. I'd been noticing that my battery level indicator is not functioning correctly. It falsely reports that the battery is dead. I have seven or so batteries and 2 different bodies that I cross check batteries in and it's conclusive. Just yesterday though I noticed a new problem, which is that my 5D loses multiple internal settings as soon as it goes to sleep mode or I power it off. Logically it appears this would be a bad "internal" (system) battery. The settings are retained as long as the camera is on.

Makes me wonder if the battery level indicator could be trying to comment on the status of the internal battery somehow or if possibly the battery indicator is continually running in test mode or something, which could draw resources from the internal battery and cause it to fail prematurely. I don't even know at this point if that internal battery is easily serviceable in the 5D or if it's something that's embedded far enough that it will cause warranty complications if I change it myself. I'm sure I'll know that part tonight when I check into it further. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what was your solution/conclusion.
Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

Last edited by tkoutdoor : 29th of September 2008 (Mon) at 16:18.
tkoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2008 (Mon)   #2
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Default Re: Bad internal battery in 5D? Experienced this yourself?

It might be a bad internal date/time battery and it's cheap enough to try. The internal battery is very easy to replace. On the 5D is just under the USB connector. There is a small screw under the connectors. Take out that screw and the plastic battery holder slides out. I believe that the battery is either a 2016 or 2032, I can't remember which.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2008 (Mon)   #3
tkoutdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
It might be a bad internal date/time battery and it's cheap enough to try. The internal battery is very easy to replace. On the 5D is just under the USB connector. There is a small screw under the connectors. Take out that screw and the plastic battery holder slides out. I believe that the battery is either a 2016 or 2032, I can't remember which.
Thanks! I found the battery under a cover with one or more screws attached. I pulled 4 screws in the area, but it looks like only one may have been holding it down. It's a 2016. I'll post up once I've replaced it in case it's useful to someone else.
Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2008 (Mon)   #4
tkoutdoor

Problem solved. The new 2016 fixed the issue of losing settings. It even restored settings that it had previously lost (or so it seemed) when I put the new battery in.

I don't know about the low battery warning on the main Li-Ion battery yet. It may be that the premature low battery warning on that battery system may somehow be related. For example, Canon may have wired that battery guage to give some random indication that the clock/system battery is acting up by causing the main battery guage to act up. If the problems improve there (currently it was mis-identifying good batteries as dead) then I'll have some news for the other thread that was talking about that as well! For the current issue though... it's solved.

LOL, just thought about it... even my ancient 10D has never needed the system battery replaced while I've owned it IIRC. I bought it second hand three to four years ago though.

Last edited by tkoutdoor : 29th of September 2008 (Mon) at 23:16.
Old 30th of September 2008 (Tue)   #5
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Great news.. I'm glad all worked out well.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote