FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 01 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 12:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

babos02
Joined Sep 2008
103 posts
Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

this is a question to those who have done African safaris and those who have researched them. About how much does the whole trip cost? including air fare, guide ,food ,and other stuff. how long do you usually go for? a week? two?

just curious about it they look like a great oppurtunity.

thanks

Post #1, Oct 01, 2008 12:17:18

ABABS
http://www.photobucket​.com/babos02external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
M5Man
Joined Mar 2008
781 posts
Lancashire - England
[MORE/SHARE]

We went for 3 weeks - 1 week Kenya -I week Tanazania - I week beech in Zanzibar at the end and it was £15K.

Obviously that was staying at top end places and can be done for less but of all the travelling Ive done and safaris Ive done East Africa is the best.

Lake Manyara National Park my favourite followed by Ngorgora Crater then the Serengetti.

Happy to answer any questions you have :)

Post #2, Oct 01, 2008 12:40:53

8-)***CLIVE***8-)

Whats in the box? Pelican 1624

4 Sale MANFROTTO 488external link

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2004
20,891 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark.
[MORE/SHARE]

You can find a wealth of information about planning and cost of safaris.

here, here and here

Post #3, Oct 01, 2008 12:44:25

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED
Best Regards Tommy
My Photosexternal link -=- about.meexternal link -=- My Facebook, if you add me please send me a pm alsoexternal link
GAPS Africa I 2007 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa II 2008 photosexternal link -=- GAPS Africa IV 2011 photosexternal link -=- GAPS = Great African Photo Safari

Explorer1
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2008
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If you are looking to go on a budget, try checking with hunting outfits.
Many of them offer accomodations that are less than 5 star, but still get the job done.

Post #4, Oct 05, 2008 05:19:40

Canon XTI, 17-55, 100-400 IS USM

vkalia
Joined Feb 2005
415 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Price varies depending upon where you go.

An upscale private safari in Kenya can run $300-$350 per person per day, while the same safari but with much more luxurious/private accommodation can go up to $1000 per day. Budget safaris can be as little as $100 per person per day (camping, more people in vehicle, etc)

Tanzania is a little more. Botswana is the most expensive in terms of organized safaris ($600-700+ pppn, typically). S Africa can be done by self-drive and can be the least expensive, although Kruger isnt as much of a real "wild" experience as some of the other NP.

Try emailing a few companies and see what they offer. I prefer to book directly with a local agency and eliminate several layers of middlemen, and my preference is also to use smaller firms - they generally are a lot more flexible and offer very good service.

Vandit

Post #5, Oct 08, 2008 04:59:28

These are my opinions. If you don't like them, I have others [Groucho]
The Restless Photographerexternal link - Wildlife, nature & travel photography, and blog
Photo Safari Indiaexternal link - Photography workshops, tours and image sales

sponsored links
ctranter
Joined May 2007
168 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

Go here, seriously amazing:

http://www.kicheche.co​m/activities.shtmexternal link

Post #6, Nov 04, 2008 14:59:21

www.ctranter.comexternal link
500pxexternal link | blogexternal link | pbaseexternal link

babos02
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
103 posts
Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

ctranter wrote in post #6623440external link
Go here, seriously amazing:

http://www.kicheche.co​m/activities.shtmexternal link

i looked at that website that looks awesome. i couldnt find pricing though? have you done one of these safaris? which camp?

Post #7, Nov 04, 2008 19:59:31

ABABS
http://www.photobucket​.com/babos02external link

ctranter
Joined May 2007
168 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

babos02 wrote in post #6625089external link
i looked at that website that looks awesome. i couldnt find pricing though? have you done one of these safaris? which camp?

I've stayed at the Bush Camp, and thats the one I would definitely reccomend. It's location (isolation) and privacy really set it apart. The accoomodation is nothing short of luxury, and the game drives are fantastic. The spotter/guides are top notch and are all local masi. Even better though is that they are very photographer oriented. They have pros from around the world coming to stay and are used to (even encourage) waiting, being patient, know where to park for the best light etc. Theres lots of flexibiliy too. As I was with family we did a morning and afternoon drive, but if you are inclined some people get up at 5am and are out all day - especially in migration season where they like to park up at a river crossing section.

Anyway.... very nice :p (and i dont work for them)

Of course... it's not cheap :( We were there for 3 days, but about 5 would have been amazing.

http://www.kicheche.co​m/camps-bush-rates.shtmexternal link

Post #8, Nov 06, 2008 08:30:49

cutaway
Joined Jul 2006
48 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My wife and I are considering using Kensington Tours (http://kensingtontours​.com/destinations.cfm?​regionid=2external link) Great feedback from people we've contacted. Tours are customized to your requirements. You get personalized service and can design the schedule to your specifications.

Post #9, Nov 07, 2008 01:34:01

asavani
Joined Sep 2008
297 posts
Nairobi, Kenya
[MORE/SHARE]

just some extra info... I have lived in Kenya my whole life, I've been to numerous national parks including lake manyara national park and ngorongoro crater in tanzania. Tanzania, is much more expensive than kenyan parks, and my favourite would have to be masai mara and lake nakuru national parks in Kenya. Masai mara is great for all wildlife in general, however I have been there atleast 7-8times (with 2 game drives a day, for atleast 2 days) with professional guides and only saw a leopard, twice and rhinos are difficult to spot as well, but I can guarantee you would see many lions, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, birds, and a large variety of land herbivores. Lake nakuru national park is great for seeing leopards, the huge flamingo population (which has actually decreased dramatically now - but still a beautiful site when I went in summer of 2006) and white rhinos.

Hope that helped, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Post #10, Nov 07, 2008 11:27:58

www.adnansavani.zenfol​io.comexternal link
Canon EOS 7D and Canon EOS Rebel XSi
15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS
Vanguard Alta pro 263 AT with SBH-100 ball head
http://adnansavani.pho​tography.comexternal link

Sid52
Joined Aug 2008
87 posts
Swindon, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Just returned from a 2 week trip to Botswana. This was a fully organised trip including 3 nights stay on a houseboat on the Okavango river, Victoria falls and a full week camping on safari in Chobe, Savuti and Moremi. The cost next year will be around £2500 including flights from London (land only price is available), all transport and accommodation, guides, and most meals so there is little spending money required.

As far as photography is concerned you get really close to the wildlife, and we saw lots of it. A couple on the trip had been to East Africa 10 times previously and it was useful to hear their comparisons. The main difference was the lack of crowds, usually we were watching for example a cheetah and we were the only vehicle there. The quality and variety of the viewing was also noted. The other difference was that there were'nt the huge herds as in East Africa, herds were smaller but more numerous.
I've attached a link below

Problem is that going once will never be enough, you'll be bitten by more than one sort of bug!

http://www.explore.co.​uk ...lts?Region=4&Countr​y=3653external link

Post #11, Nov 13, 2008 09:48:22

http://saxonphotograph​y.zenfolio.com/external link

sponsored links
ctranter
Joined May 2007
168 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

Sid52 wrote in post #6678664external link
Just returned from a 2 week trip to Botswana. This was a fully organised trip including 3 nights stay on a houseboat on the Okavango river, Victoria falls and a full week camping on safari in Chobe, Savuti and Moremi. The cost next year will be around £2500 including flights from London (land only price is available), all transport and accommodation, guides, and most meals so there is little spending money required.

As far as photography is concerned you get really close to the wildlife, and we saw lots of it. A couple on the trip had been to East Africa 10 times previously and it was useful to hear their comparisons. The main difference was the lack of crowds, usually we were watching for example a cheetah and we were the only vehicle there. The quality and variety of the viewing was also noted. The other difference was that there were'nt the huge herds as in East Africa, herds were smaller but more numerous.
I've attached a link below

Problem is that going once will never be enough, you'll be bitten by more than one sort of bug!

http://www.explore.co.​uk ...lts?Region=4&Countr​y=3653external link

what sort of vehicles were you in for the game drives?

Post #12, Nov 13, 2008 11:15:20

Sid52
Joined Aug 2008
87 posts
Swindon, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

ctranter wrote in post #6679167external link
what sort of vehicles were you in for the game drives?

We used open topped Toyota land cruisers with roll down sides (never used) and a canvas top used or long journeys. Seating was for 12 in 4 rows of 3 with good views. The seating was'nt too high enabling an excellent view of the animals, being at their level or way below it in the case of a group of elephants 30yds away!

We did all our travelling in this vehicle and it was surprisingly comfortable even during long journeys entirely off road

Sid

Post #13, Nov 13, 2008 12:52:55

http://saxonphotograph​y.zenfolio.com/external link

fishfoto
-Krazy Glue-
Joined Mar 2008
835 posts
Live: HVN Work: The World
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you looked into the safaris and workshops Andy Biggs runs? You can check them out at www.andybiggs.comexternal link. The workshops range from US$8790 to US$14,990, not including airfare.

His work is fantastic and having spoken with him on totally unrelated topics, I know he knows his stuff inside and out.

Post #14, Nov 13, 2008 13:09:47

-Fish
My USA Today Syndicated Blog - www.flyingwithfish.comexternal link
My Photography - www.stevenfrischling.c​omexternal link
My Twitterstream - @flyingwithfishexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,419 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Sid52 wrote in post #6679699external link
We used open topped Toyota land cruisers with roll down sides (never used) and a canvas top used or long journeys. Seating was for 12 in 4 rows of 3 with good views. The seating was'nt too high enabling an excellent view of the animals, being at their level or way below it in the case of a group of elephants 30yds away!

Wow! I hope they've had it fixed since I went to Botswana with the same company three years ago! We had it break down in the middle of Chobe. But I'm going back there with them again. Was your guide KB?

When I went to Botswana I only had a 70-300 DO lens. And that was long enough 90% of the time. When I've been to East Africa since then I've used a 100-400 which was a bit short most of the time. For my return trip to Botswana I think I'll take to 300 f2.8 and a couple of extenders.

Post #15, Nov 14, 2008 10:28:20

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
African Safari
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES