Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of October 2008 (Wed)   #1
kamarola

Default 16mm and 8mm FILM video cameras...

I posted this in the POTN Lounge section cause I didn't know where to place it, but this looks more appropriate...hopefully.

I want to get into 16mm film cameras but don't really have much clues on it. I'm really looking for something less than $150 that's good to go, and though I've seen some on ebay and craigslist I can't help but feel vulnerable as I don't know anything about this field. I've done some research but being born in the digital age, I'm still hesitant. I'm just looking for a vintage one, one that can be windable (or optional...I kinda want both a motor and manual wind up if that is what it is) and just a standard wide lens.

Anyone have any knowledge on the topic, such as tips on what to buy and how to use them and a good choice would help a lot. I also checked out how much it'd be to develop 16mm and convert to a dvd - roughly $6 a minute of film. Does this sound right?

edit: A 16mm that looks pretty intriguing...any thoughts? here
85 1.8
580ex + lightsphere
kamarola is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of October 2008 (Wed)   #2
TeeJay
Goldmember

Default Re: 16mm and 8mm FILM video cameras...

Pardon me - but don't you mean 16mm and 8mm FILM cameras? Surely "video" doesn't come into it?

TJ
1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of October 2008 (Wed)   #3
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

The one you linked to looks suspiciously like the Super 8 Bell and Howell I have.

Without anything else to judge it by, I can't tell if that's really a 16mm camera or not.
Old 8th of October 2008 (Wed)   #4
NickJushchyshyn

First and foremost .... WHY do you want to get into using film cameras?
(I'm not saying it's a "wrong" idea at all ... just asking because your motivations for learning about this realm directly impacts any advice about what may or may-not be "best" for your situation)

Personally, given the intricate, mechanical nature of these cameras, I would tend to favor buying locally via Craigslist or other classified listing ... where you can meet the seller and go over the camera's operation in person. This more personal contact might help you learn more about the camera you're buying than simply bidding on an eBay listing and hoping for the best when the camera arrives.

As for the camera in the link .. since it uses a cartridge format, you should probably research the price and availability of cartridges.
NickJushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of October 2008 (Wed)   #5
jcolman
Goldmember

If you seriously want to get into 16mm film, see if you can find a Bolex Rex 5. It's a great camera that is almost indestructible, has thru the lens viewing and a rotating lens mount so you can mount three lenses. It's a wind up type camera but you can also buy a motor for it. It uses 100' daylight load film spools.

I owned one years ago and loved it. I made several documentaries with this camera.