16mm and 8mm FILM video cameras...

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 08 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 02:47   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kamarola
Joined May 2007
43 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I posted this in the POTN Lounge section cause I didn't know where to place it, but this looks more appropriate...hopefull​y.

I want to get into 16mm film cameras but don't really have much clues on it. I'm really looking for something less than $150 that's good to go, and though I've seen some on ebay and craigslist I can't help but feel vulnerable as I don't know anything about this field. I've done some research but being born in the digital age, I'm still hesitant. I'm just looking for a vintage one, one that can be windable (or optional...I kinda want both a motor and manual wind up if that is what it is) and just a standard wide lens.

Anyone have any knowledge on the topic, such as tips on what to buy and how to use them and a good choice would help a lot. I also checked out how much it'd be to develop 16mm and convert to a dvd - roughly $6 a minute of film. Does this sound right?

edit: A 16mm that looks pretty intriguing...any thoughts? hereexternal link

Post #1, Oct 08, 2008 02:47:33

5d
20d + BG-E2
24-70 2.8L
85 1.8
580ex + lightsphere

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TeeJay
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
3,834 posts
Warwickshire - UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Pardon me - but don't you mean 16mm and 8mm FILM cameras? Surely "video" doesn't come into it?

TJ

Post #2, Oct 08, 2008 03:45:48

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

The one you linked to looks suspiciously like the Super 8 Bell and Howell I have.

Without anything else to judge it by, I can't tell if that's really a 16mm camera or not.

Post #3, Oct 08, 2008 04:07:35

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

NickJushchyshyn
Joined Sep 2008
289 posts
Philadelphia, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

First and foremost .... WHY do you want to get into using film cameras?
(I'm not saying it's a "wrong" idea at all ... just asking because your motivations for learning about this realm directly impacts any advice about what may or may-not be "best" for your situation)

Personally, given the intricate, mechanical nature of these cameras, I would tend to favor buying locally via Craigslist or other classified listing ... where you can meet the seller and go over the camera's operation in person. This more personal contact might help you learn more about the camera you're buying than simply bidding on an eBay listing and hoping for the best when the camera arrives.

As for the camera in the link .. since it uses a cartridge format, you should probably research the price and availability of cartridges.

Post #4, Oct 08, 2008 06:31:25

www.techvantics.comexternal link

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,209 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

If you seriously want to get into 16mm film, see if you can find a Bolex Rex 5. It's a great camera that is almost indestructible, has thru the lens viewing and a rotating lens mount so you can mount three lenses. It's a wind up type camera but you can also buy a motor for it. It uses 100' daylight load film spools.

I owned one years ago and loved it. I made several documentaries with this camera.

Post #5, Oct 08, 2008 08:33:47

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,773 views & 0 likes for this thread
16mm and 8mm FILM video cameras...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES