Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Performing Arts Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of October 2008 (Thu)   #1
photography by trish

Default Park concert-Monopod vs. Tripod & POV question

I'm doing a concert in a large, baseball field size park and wanted your expertise opinions on equipment and POV. It is a night concert on a large stage. It's a celebrity charity concert/event.

Monopod or tripod?
Shoot from floor or in baseball stands?
-Or do I ask if I can shoot from the side of the stage?

Do I have to be worried about getting robbed? I'm a petite female going to an event in the dark. Or do people not pay attention to photographers?

the more i learn, the more i realize i have a lot more to learn!
photography by trish is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of October 2008 (Sat)   #2
ChrisRabior

Default Re: Park concert-Monopod vs. Tripod & POV question

First off, before you get excited about shooting, do you have a photo pass for this event?

Celebrity charity concert/event screams of controlled media. Not just any GWC can go in and take pictures. You'll probably need to work out access with either a publication or with the event to get credentials. You should contact the event people and ask if you can even bring your camera. It's one thing to bring in a dinky P&S that you can fit in your back pocket. An SLR with a 70-200mm lens (which is what I'd likely be taking based on what you said the venue is) might draw some scrutiny at the door. Make sure you're clear to walk in with a gripped SLR and a fast telephoto.

As far as a monopod or tripod, I'd say neither. You probably won't be allowed to bring it into the venue in the first place.

In terms of being worried about being robbed, I have no idea, but it's always good to keep your guard up, be aware of surroundings, etc.
Old 13th of October 2008 (Mon)   #3
ROC

I'm THE farthest thing from a real photog. (the more I learn about photography, the more I realize I don't know, dammit!!!). I own the equipment listed below. That said.................

I went to StageCoach last year with all my gear. They let me in no problem. Granted, I was staying in a motorhome just a few minutes walk from the main stage, so if they turned my gear away it woulda been no big deal to make the walk back to drop my stuff off.

I had backstage access (friends) and shot from there with a monopod.

I also had the good fortune to get right up to the stage to shoot. I didn't ask, I just walked in like I belonged there. Right next to the pros. My only regret was not knowing wtf to do with my gear to get the best shots. Live and learn I guess.

My monopod was getting in the way enough as it was. I can only imagine a tripod getting in the way even more so.

Good luck

ROC
Canon 40D/2-kit lenses - EF 28-135 1:3.5-5.6....EF 70-300 1:4-5.6 and a 85 1.8..........No flash, no grip, cheap tripod and cheap mono. I'm new to photography and I'm here to learn as much as I can. First question.............why are a couple of new lenses gonna cost me more than my first car did?

Last edited by ROC : 13th of October 2008 (Mon) at 02:51.
ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of October 2008 (Mon)   #4
Jim G
I feel thoroughly satisfied

Tripods won't be of great use to you at a gig because as soon as you start to push the hand-holding limits you're getting motion blur on the performer's part anyway.

If it's a big gig they may well have a pit up front for photographers and security to work out of; I'd be asking for permission to get into that. I do a lot of gig photography and a tripod/monopod would be a liability for me... something else to get in the way which gives no significant benefit.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2008 (Thu)   #5
photography by trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
If it's a big gig they may well have a pit up front for photographers and security to work out of; I'd be asking for permission to get into that. I do a lot of gig photography and a tripod/monopod would be a liability for me... something else to get in the way which gives no significant benefit.
I did the gig and that's exactly how it was...I got in the front. I ended up only bringing my monopod and not using it at all. Better that than my tripod tho!

Anyway, thanks for all your insight everyone. I learned my lesson and will probably not bring either next time. . .or just leave my monopod in the car.

the more i learn, the more i realize i have a lot more to learn!
photography by trish is offline   Reply With Quote