FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 09 Oct 2008 (Thursday) 16:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

photography ­ by ­ trish
Joined Aug 2008
161 posts
Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm doing a concert in a large, baseball field size park and wanted your expertise opinions on equipment and POV. It is a night concert on a large stage. It's a celebrity charity concert/event.

Monopod or tripod?
Shoot from floor or in baseball stands?
-Or do I ask if I can shoot from the side of the stage?

Do I have to be worried about getting robbed? I'm a petite female going to an event in the dark. Or do people not pay attention to photographers?

Post #1, Oct 09, 2008 16:15:21

trish
www.TrishaOrdonez.comexternal link
www.MeetTrish.blogspot​.comexternal link
the more i learn, the more i realize i have a lot more to learn!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ChrisRabior
Joined Mar 2007
826 posts
Metro Detroit
[MORE/SHARE]

First off, before you get excited about shooting, do you have a photo pass for this event?

Celebrity charity concert/event screams of controlled media. Not just any GWC can go in and take pictures. You'll probably need to work out access with either a publication or with the event to get credentials. You should contact the event people and ask if you can even bring your camera. It's one thing to bring in a dinky P&S that you can fit in your back pocket. An SLR with a 70-200mm lens (which is what I'd likely be taking based on what you said the venue is) might draw some scrutiny at the door. Make sure you're clear to walk in with a gripped SLR and a fast telephoto.

As far as a monopod or tripod, I'd say neither. You probably won't be allowed to bring it into the venue in the first place.

In terms of being worried about being robbed, I have no idea, but it's always good to keep your guard up, be aware of surroundings, etc.

Post #2, Oct 11, 2008 17:19:09

My Gear | My Alamyexternal link | My Websiteexternal link | MMA Photographyexternal link

ROC
Joined May 2008
91 posts
In the heat
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm THE farthest thing from a real photog. (the more I learn about photography, the more I realize I don't know, dammit!!!:D). I own the equipment listed below. That said...............

I went to StageCoach last year with all my gear. They let me in no problem. Granted, I was staying in a motorhome just a few minutes walk from the main stage, so if they turned my gear away it woulda been no big deal to make the walk back to drop my stuff off.

I had backstage access (friends) and shot from there with a monopod.

I also had the good fortune to get right up to the stage to shoot. I didn't ask, I just walked in like I belonged there. Right next to the pros. My only regret was not knowing wtf to do with my gear to get the best shots. Live and learn I guess.

My monopod was getting in the way enough as it was. I can only imagine a tripod getting in the way even more so.

Good luck

ROC

Post #3, Oct 13, 2008 02:00:00 as a reply to ChrisRabior's post 1 day earlier.

Canon 40D/2-kit lenses - EF 28-135 1:3.5-5.6....EF 70-300 1:4-5.6 and a 85 1.8..........No flash, no grip, cheap tripod and cheap mono. I'm new to photography and I'm here to learn as much as I can. First question.............w​hy are a couple of new lenses gonna cost me more than my first car did?:p

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
Joined Jun 2005
12,251 posts
Australia.
[MORE/SHARE]

Tripods won't be of great use to you at a gig because as soon as you start to push the hand-holding limits you're getting motion blur on the performer's part anyway.

If it's a big gig they may well have a pit up front for photographers and security to work out of; I'd be asking for permission to get into that. I do a lot of gig photography and a tripod/monopod would be a liability for me... something else to get in the way which gives no significant benefit.

Post #4, Oct 13, 2008 02:01:50

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

photography ­ by ­ trish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
161 posts
Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

Jim G wrote in post #6485653external link
If it's a big gig they may well have a pit up front for photographers and security to work out of; I'd be asking for permission to get into that. I do a lot of gig photography and a tripod/monopod would be a liability for me... something else to get in the way which gives no significant benefit.

I did the gig and that's exactly how it was...I got in the front. I ended up only bringing my monopod and not using it at all. Better that than my tripod tho!

Anyway, thanks for all your insight everyone. I learned my lesson and will probably not bring either next time. . .or just leave my monopod in the car.

:)

Post #5, Oct 16, 2008 15:47:41

trish
www.TrishaOrdonez.comexternal link
www.MeetTrish.blogspot​.comexternal link
the more i learn, the more i realize i have a lot more to learn!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
Park concert-Monopod vs. Tripod & POV question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES