Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 12 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 21:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: How To: Wildlife Photography and staying hidden

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Apr 21, 2010 03:05 |  #106
banned

If you don't have camouflage or a particularly long lens, you can hide your approach using the foliage around you, something I learnt only last year

A tree helped me hide my approach so I could take photos of Egyptian goose (male and female)

sponsored links
Overtrim
49 posts
Joined Oct 2010
North Alabama
Oct 21, 2010 01:15 |  #107

40Driggs wrote in post #6553232external link
Great tips from everyone. I hunted for many years including bowhunting, so I am quite used to being close to wildlife. It saddens me to think of all the great shots I could have gotten if I was in to photography back then! That is the way it is though...Here are a few thoughts of mine to consider.

Using the vehicle as a cover- while this does probably work in areas where deer are used to seeing vehicles, it does not always work in a real world environment. I have watched deer's reactions to vehicles during hunting season and they are not good. Some deer will go WAY around the vehicle because they associate it with a predator (especially bucks).

When I am trying to stalk an animal, I use natural cover to block my outline. Move very slowly and walk in a way that there is always a tree or bush between you and what you are going towards. It takes a lot of patience to get close in the wild. This does not apply at places like nature centers and parks obviously.

Don't be afraid to just sit and wait-A lot of times animals scatter like crazy when you are running through the woods. I have found that if you just sit down and wait, they will come back. Patience can pay off in more ways then one. I like deer, but while waiting for deer to show up I often see a lot of squirrels and birds hanging out at close ranges. If you are careful to be still, you will probably be surrounded by wildlife.

Pop up blinds are excellent- If you know anything about turkeys, you will know that they often scatter at the slightest movement(in the wild). I have found that a pop-up blind works great to counteract this phenomena. With a popup blind in place, I have been surrounded by about 10 hen turkeys within 8-10 feet for a period of about an hour. The only reason they go scared off is because I moved to a different spot. I have also called in a 20+ pound tom within 10 feet. Missed the shot, however because the safety was on but that is another story in itself. Another benefit of the popup blind is that you can get away with moving around more and not wearing camo.

I am new to this forum, but, wanted to add a couple of things. Most hunters look too high for deer. I found more deer laying on the ground than standing while I am stalking. If you think you are moving too slow, then SLOW DOWN! Look at every bush or fallen logs as far ahead as you can. If it is during hunting season, then wear your orange vest or cap, A 140 grain 30.06 makes and terrible large hole on exit from your chest.

mn ­ shutterbug
886 posts
Joined Apr 2008
SW Minnesota
Jan 08, 2012 19:53 |  #108

Birds get used to blinds in their neighborhood pretty fast. A couple years ago, I saw a kingfisher sitting at the top of a lone dead tree on the edge of a slough. Every time I went by, he was there but there was no way to get close. I brought my large blind along one day and set it up out in the open within range, and it took just a few minutes after flushing him and he was back at the top of the snag. This was the only way I have ever got a decent pic of a Belted Kingfisher. They are incredibly skittish.

rjb0765@gmail.com
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Mar 15, 2012 03:02 |  #109

First learn about your target, research. You have to know where to place the blind or where to go. once you're in the right area if you still are not getting action, try an attractor. simple home made. for example, a small piece of white cloth tied to braided fishing line so you can make the cloth wiggle and dance gently in your photo area. make sure it can be seen. animals are curious. deer, elk (to a point) antelope and a variety of birds are some of the animals this works with. Think about what you want. the result. build on success, dump failure. soon you'll have what you seek.

SharonJBrown
26 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 22, 2013 03:13 |  #110

first of all do not wear colorful dress, then stay low and keep your eyes open. Try not to make a single sound. Move very slowly. These will help you to take good shoot.

Canon-Chas
Joined Jan 2010
Scotland
Jun 17, 2014 08:54 |  #111

jbdavies wrote in post #6484408external link
So I looked through all three pages and noticed that every single topic was about lenses. Which is great and all, but if you want to really get that one shot... don't you need to stay hidden?

So, in this thread, list what you use to keep the wildlife unaware of your whereabouts. :)

Whether it's Scent-Lock Camouflage, a Hide, etc.

I personally don't have any... but I would love to get into this eventually. I just want to know what all of you Pro (or not) wildlife shooters use. ;)

If you imagine a sniper is out to get you and you have to stay hidden on the move that should focus your imagination ! :D

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.ukexternal link

mn ­ shutterbug
886 posts
Joined Apr 2008
SW Minnesota
Jun 17, 2014 16:14 as a reply to Canon-Chas's post |  #112

I use a blind (hide) if i need to wait for them and I use a ghillie suit if I need to stalk the critter.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
Jun 20, 2014 09:33 |  #113

If you go out early mornings when the birds are hungry and looking for food, you will find that they pretty much just ignore you as they look for food. There are times I can't get the shot because they come to close. I usually wear black, gray, tan or camo shirt.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

46,997 views & 4 likes for this thread
How To: Wildlife Photography and staying hidden
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.