How Can An Amature Photographer Recruit Models To Do A Photo Shoot?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 16:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Josh ­ V
Joined Jan 2008
233 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

If you cant afford to pay any models how else can you go about getting some female models.

A friend of mine told me to just ask random girls I thought had potential if they model or would be interested in doing a photoshoot for free.He said to go on myspace and look at those local girls with loads of self pics of themselves and are usually low quality snapshots.They might be interested.

I just dont really have any photos of other models to give them an idea of how they could look.I only have other portraits of friends/family,Some event coverage photos and Photoshoots of DJ's.I just want to explore every aspect of photography to see which I want to work with more.Ive always paid close attention to magazine ads and such and would love to take photos on this level one day.

My best friends girlfriend is trying to sell her own clothes and asked me if I can get girls to model the clothes and to help me out,she could do the hair and makeup of other girls I shoot which se does that too.

I just felt it might be a little wierd to ask random girls on myspace or maybe it just depends on how you ask I guess.I did post out a bulliton that I would be doing free photoshoots to those interested in good quality photos and I got a few responses but from friends that want me to take photos of their kid.

How can I go about this?Cragslist maybe?

Post #1, Oct 13, 2008 16:30:08

5D Mark II, 580 ex II, 24-70mm f/2.8L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ericklim
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2008
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

craigslist and mm. there is a lot of 'aspiring models' out there that are willing to work with you. most of em TFCD which is beneficial for both. ask for asking random girls on myspace.. that's kinda creeper status. i would just ask some my friends if they are down to do a free shoot.

Post #2, Oct 13, 2008 18:40:13

40D, BG-E2 grip, 580exii, 28-135 f/3.5, tamrac expedition 5x. i work with what i got =]
www.elimphotography.co​mexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

www.modelmayham.comexternal link - many on there are pretty flaky though so don't be surprised if they don't turn up when they say they will.

Post #3, Oct 13, 2008 19:23:40

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

NeinLives
Joined Jul 2007
266 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #6490243external link
www.modelmayham.comexternal link - many on there are pretty flaky though so don't be surprised if they don't turn up when they say they will.

Correction: http://www.modelmayhem​.comexternal link

Post #4, Oct 14, 2008 02:26:06

http://www.neinlivez.c​omexternal link

sl3966
Joined Oct 2006
232 posts
Annapolis, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Model Mayhem is a good choice for this, put up a casting that contains the important info (you are shooting clothes for an actual company that might result in tear sheets for the girls). Also, double book the models to accaount for attrition. You can probably get a MUA and Hair Stylist if there is the potential for a tearsheet.

Post #5, Oct 14, 2008 06:51:32

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sl3966
Joined Oct 2006
232 posts
Annapolis, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

sl3966 wrote in post #6492846external link
Model Mayhem is a good choice for this, put up a casting that contains the important info (you are shooting clothes for an actual company that might result in tear sheets for the girls). Also, double book the models to accaount for attrition. You can probably get a MUA and Hair Stylist if there is the potential for a tearsheet.

Edit: Assuming that this is an actual company.

Post #6, Oct 14, 2008 06:52:20

sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,645 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Josh-

If you are not paying the models or providing evidence that you can take good pictures that might help the models career, then why should a model shoot with you?

All photographers start shooting friends and aquiantances to practice taking fashion & model pictures. You have a long learning curve ahead of you before you will be taking good pictures-poses, lighting, styling, locations, etc. Its very hard to imagine that you are ready to offer models any significant benefit yet. Its up to you as a photographer to find the resources to advance your own career, including the $$$ to pay models. You can offer to assist other photographers to learn the basics, make contacts, and earn a little $$$.

Good Luck-
Scott

Post #7, Oct 14, 2008 07:13:15

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Can An Amature Photographer Recruit Models To Do A Photo Shoot?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES