couple of pics... first time shooting kids

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family
Thread started 13 Oct 2008 (Monday) 20:46   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Canadian ­ Techdiver
Joined Feb 2008
726 posts
Its Summer I am underwater scuba diving Silly.
[MORE/SHARE]

friends of mine gave me the opportunity to do a quick fallish type shoot with their kids.. interesting lesson following two kids around that can't sit still. didn't get a lot done we were getting eaten alive my mosquitos.....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Oct 13, 2008 20:46:11

Camera gear: YEP

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

Cute shots. Shooting kids definitely teaches you to take advantage of the moments they provide, and not to wait for them to do exactly what you might have imagined before hand.

Post #2, Oct 15, 2008 15:44:06

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Canadian ­ Techdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks.. yes the parents stressed to get these two. then I told them to just let them run around and I would find some pictures in it.....

here are a few more.

IMAGE: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/LaceyHaydenFall001.jpg
IMAGE: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/CalebFallwboarder005.jpg
IMAGE: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/CalebFall004.jpg
IMAGE: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/LaceyFall001.jpg

please feel free to tear them up.. only some levels changes and only some real post processing in the last pictures. Nice part about kids is you just don't have to do anything for skin post processing... being I am still new to this.. I was glad to not touch anything but levels or curves.

Thanks

Post #3, Oct 15, 2008 15:55:12

kajawhit
Joined Jan 2008
887 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cute pictures of adorable children. It looks as though your focus is pretty soft in a few? Could be motion blur with shooting the little ones? Not sure. Where was your focus point? It looks like maybe it was the middle? Some have alot of noise? Maybe they were underexposed and then lightened using levels?

I had a play with one to try to fix it a little.
HEre is the play

IMAGE: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/kajawhit/boy-pumpkin-2.jpg

Post #4, Oct 15, 2008 23:32:54

Canon 5D
24-70 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm macro, 200 mm ~580 ex II,
**Garage Studio***
Motorized backdrop system, 20+canvas backdrops, lots of lighting, and too many props :)

Canadian ­ Techdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

WOW nice edit...

your right I did under expose a bit. Or I blew out the sky in the background.... I think I had my iso too high as well...my bad..again this was sort of casual...

I attempted to use some fill flash in a few but the one year old cryed everytime the flash went off. so I went to no flash and opened up the apature..

I appreciate the time you took for input and the PP work you did. I like the blue effect on the water... she might not due to this being at her mom's house. but nice...how did you acheive that... sorry pretty new here still.

Post #5, Oct 16, 2008 08:35:22

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kajawhit
Joined Jan 2008
887 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I use PS CS3 but to change the water it is pretty basic. Go to Layers>new layer and change the blending mode to color. Then pick your color and grab a paint brush and start painting. It is as easy as that :)

Post #6, Oct 16, 2008 12:10:31

Canon 5D
24-70 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm macro, 200 mm ~580 ex II,
**Garage Studio***
Motorized backdrop system, 20+canvas backdrops, lots of lighting, and too many props :)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

#4 is my favorite of the bunch. I like the composition, and the subject is great. Very nice capture.

I'm not fond of #6. There's too much empty space above her head, and the color of the bush on the left side of the frame right next to her face is drawing my eye away from the subject, while at the same time giving me the impression that her face is more that color than it really is (if that makes any sense).

Post #7, Oct 16, 2008 15:00:12

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Canadian ­ Techdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with your comments on 6 I thought about Cloning it out because she does have a very red complection to begin with... so I have thought the same thing that the stupid red bush keeps pulling my eye to it...You may be right it might also bring out more red in her skin then what is there.....

Thanks for your input... I appreciate it...thanks for taking the time...

Post #8, Oct 16, 2008 20:17:10

tft1974
Joined Oct 2008
58 posts
South Western Ontario, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

#4 is my favorite. could you try to crop in tighter and maybe blurr the house in the background a little.

Post #9, Nov 05, 2008 10:52:42

Canadian ­ Techdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
726 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tft1974....good thought on the house. I totally missed that...still... I will go back an re-edit this.

Not sure about cropping any tighter. I am was trying to adhere to normal print size and I liked the sort of negative space on the right... But a tight crop would also work out well for this. Will try that as well.

Post #10, Nov 05, 2008 13:43:44

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
couple of pics... first time shooting kids
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES