Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Kids & Family
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of October 2008 (Mon)   #1
Canadian Techdiver

Default couple of pics... first time shooting kids

friends of mine gave me the opportunity to do a quick fallish type shoot with their kids.. interesting lesson following two kids around that can't sit still. didn't get a lot done we were getting eaten alive my mosquitos.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caleb Fall 003-A.jpg (174.9 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg Hayden Fall 003-A.jpg (155.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 15th of October 2008 (Wed)   #2
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!

Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
Default Re: couple of pics... first time shooting kids

Cute shots. Shooting kids definitely teaches you to take advantage of the moments they provide, and not to wait for them to do exactly what you might have imagined before hand.
ibdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of October 2008 (Wed)   #3
Canadian Techdiver

Thanks.. yes the parents stressed to get these two. then I told them to just let them run around and I would find some pictures in it.....

here are a few more.

please feel free to tear them up.. only some levels changes and only some real post processing in the last pictures. Nice part about kids is you just don't have to do anything for skin post processing... being I am still new to this.. I was glad to not touch anything but levels or curves.

Thanks
Old 15th of October 2008 (Wed)   #4
kajawhit

Cute pictures of adorable children. It looks as though your focus is pretty soft in a few? Could be motion blur with shooting the little ones? Not sure. Where was your focus point? It looks like maybe it was the middle? Some have alot of noise? Maybe they were underexposed and then lightened using levels?

I had a play with one to try to fix it a little.
HEre is the play
Motorized backdrop system, 20+canvas backdrops, lots of lighting, and too many props
kajawhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2008 (Thu)   #5
Canadian Techdiver

WOW nice edit...

your right I did under expose a bit. Or I blew out the sky in the background.... I think I had my iso too high as well...my bad..again this was sort of casual...

I attempted to use some fill flash in a few but the one year old cryed everytime the flash went off. so I went to no flash and opened up the apature..

I appreciate the time you took for input and the PP work you did. I like the blue effect on the water... she might not due to this being at her mom's house. but nice...how did you acheive that... sorry pretty new here still.
Old 16th of October 2008 (Thu)   #6
kajawhit

I use PS CS3 but to change the water it is pretty basic. Go to Layers>new layer and change the blending mode to color. Then pick your color and grab a paint brush and start painting. It is as easy as that
Motorized backdrop system, 20+canvas backdrops, lots of lighting, and too many props
kajawhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2008 (Thu)   #7
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!

Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

#4 is my favorite of the bunch. I like the composition, and the subject is great. Very nice capture.

I'm not fond of #6. There's too much empty space above her head, and the color of the bush on the left side of the frame right next to her face is drawing my eye away from the subject, while at the same time giving me the impression that her face is more that color than it really is (if that makes any sense).
ibdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2008 (Thu)   #8
Canadian Techdiver

I agree with your comments on 6 I thought about Cloning it out because she does have a very red complection to begin with... so I have thought the same thing that the stupid red bush keeps pulling my eye to it...You may be right it might also bring out more red in her skin then what is there.....

Thanks for your input... I appreciate it...thanks for taking the time...
Old 5th of November 2008 (Wed)   #9
tft1974

#4 is my favorite. could you try to crop in tighter and maybe blurr the house in the background a little.
tft1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of November 2008 (Wed)   #10
Canadian Techdiver

tft1974....good thought on the house. I totally missed that...still... I will go back an re-edit this.

Not sure about cropping any tighter. I am was trying to adhere to normal print size and I liked the sort of negative space on the right... But a tight crop would also work out well for this. Will try that as well.