Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you ever noticed any strange smells emiting from your Mac Pro?
My Mac Pro doesn't smell. 7 77.78%
I have detected strange smells emitting from my Mac Pro. 1 11.11%
I sent my Mac Pro to Apple because of the bad smell. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #1
amoergosum

Default Disturbing Mac Pro news <Now with poll>

Well...I was actually just about to purchase a Mac Pro when I read this >>>

"
A french newspaper Liberation.fr has published a
report (English translation) stating that Mac Pro owners run the risk of getting diseases as dangerous as leukemia (blood cancer) simply by using their computer. The newspaper was warned by a national agency scientist that the smell (already detected by many Mac Pro users on Apple forums) is actually toxic, composed of several toxins, including benzene.

An Apple Core reader requesting anonymity, sends the following details:

Here’s a proof that the smell problem was previously known, check
this page.

The real news here is that the smell is toxic… but still no official answer from Apple. I’ve submitted this piece of news to let english-speaking Mac Pro users know about it (since it was published in french). Libération is a very well known newspaper in France, it’s not a blog or anything like that, so normally you should be able to trust this article.

I just called AppleCare (in France). They confirmed the problem but they told me it only concerned Mac Pros built before 2008 (without mentioning if being built in China was a condition, as suspected by users on the Apple forums). Mine is early 2008 so I should not worry they said.

When I asked them to send me this answer in written form, even by e-mail, they refused. They put me on hold for 40 minutes to forward me to the customer relations service, but apparently they didn’t want to talk to me so I got instead a level 2 technical agent who told me the exact same thing: don’t worry, we guess your Mac Pro is safe, but we can’t confirm in written form which Mac Pro have toxicity problems until Apple decides to communicate about it. Apple did nothing since they knew of this problem, which may be in the beginning of 2007, so we can still wait very long for any change in their policy…

The fact that my Mac Pro may not be concerned is not the problem I have with their answer. The problem is that I could very well own one of those toxic Mac Pro and never know about it, with Apple never issuing a Mac Pro recall to prevent serious health problems. Considering the problem exists for more than a year, some people have been knowingly exposed to toxins, and if some of them ever develop a blood cancer it will not be before some years, and Apple will silently get out of this problem. This problem is as bad for Apple as the contaminated milk problem for China, and it may very well be the first scandal of this kind in the computer industry.

Apple doesn’t want to confirm which Mac Pro have a problem because they know users could sue them for this reason. I invite all Mac Pro owners around the world to send a letter to Apple and ask them which Mac Pro have the toxicity problem, in written form. If Apple doesn’t change its methods very fast, a class-action lawsuit may unfortunately be the next step…"
amoergosum is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #2
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

Default Re: Disturbing Mac Pro news

I have read the above and my opinion, given that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even though it may fly in the face of all the evidence, is that this is bollocks.
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #3
amoergosum

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
I have read the above and my opinion, given that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even though it may fly in the face of all the evidence, is that this is bollocks.
Well....I really hope so. It was the first time I read such a story about a
computer so I am a little worried.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #4
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Sounds like garbage to me. Surely can't be any worse than working in an office with 10 laser printers gushing carcinogens all day.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #5
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

I am having a private giggle thinking about a guy who smokes 40 a day worrying about the smell coming from his Mac Pro.
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #6
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Quote:
I am having a private giggle thinking about a guy who smokes 40 a day worrying about the smell coming from his Mac Pro.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2008 (Sat)   #7
Pete
Cream of the Crop

There's no real evidence to support this claim from France.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1358...?lsrc=rss_main

Back in 2007, Apple wrote an open letter describing how they're cutting out any toxic/environmentally hazardous materials in the manufacture of their hardware. I don't see why they would go back on that.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #8
Mark
Dammit I need sleep

Quote:
+1
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #9
amoergosum

There's a new thread on the Apple support forum.
The author is Adam Lee who works in tech support and prep
for Australia's biggest Apple distributor >>>

"Apple Mac Pro alleged to emit toxic gas (could be true?)
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 8:39 PM Reply

I work in tech support and prep for Australia's biggest Apple distributor, and am in contact with many a new Mac during the course of my day. I have not really noticed odors as such (apart from new) emanating from Mac Pro's.

I also have the said Mac Pro sitting next to me writing this.

So begins what happened today?

Whilst in the shower my smoke alarm goes off?

I'm like jumping out to see where the fire is?

No fire! I wave a towel in the direction of the smoke alarm and all is quite once again.

Within a few moments the alarm is going off again, to my astonishment, the room is filled with a very strange odor indeed, yep you've guessed it emanating from the Mac Pro.

So now I'm thinking whether the recent articles referring to Mac Pros are correct or not, and I'm not sure whether breathing in these fumes is a good idea, as it is certainly not the smell of the new I am use to.

I for one would like to know for certain I will be proposing a test of our own at work tomorrow without a doubt.

Of course I can inform you all in the future if I did get cancer?

This is not a negative to Apple, its important to know, if this post gets removed then I will believe it is a cover up?

Watch this space?

Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core 12GB RAM 2 xTB HD's Mac OS X (10.5.5) 30" Apple Display, 2x 2.5 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, iSight, iPod, RME Fireface 800 "
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #10
GreenEyedLady

you have GOT to be KIDDING me?!?!??!!
Shoot with a Canon Xsi Rebel 450D with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 . I have a 430EX flash. I am using a Mac for all of my editing. I am a newbie looking to understand it all. Help me by letting me know how to correct my photos. I need all the help I can get!
GreenEyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #11
Moppie
iKirst

I still believe it is BS.

What is there in a Mac Pro that could get hot enough to burn off something that is on it??
And what would be coated over something inside that could release a poisoness gas?

Underneath they are really not that different to any other PC.

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?
Moppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #12
GreenEyedLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
I still believe it is BS.
I thought I smelled something....
Shoot with a Canon Xsi Rebel 450D with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 . I have a 430EX flash. I am using a Mac for all of my editing. I am a newbie looking to understand it all. Help me by letting me know how to correct my photos. I need all the help I can get!
GreenEyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2008 (Sun)   #13
Jim G
I feel thoroughly satisfied

There was a big thing in the papers a while back about how the "new car smell" was toxic and was causing accidents because it addled people's brains... failing to incite panic it disappeared quietly and hasn't been heard from again.

I imagine that this is rather the same.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2008 (Mon)   #14
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
There was a big thing in the papers a while back about how the "new car smell" was toxic and was causing accidents because it addled people's brains... failing to incite panic it disappeared quietly and hasn't been heard from again.

I imagine that this is rather the same.
I think this is BS too. However, the 'new computer' smell is toxic. It is a protective layer added to most electronics to protect them during the manufacturing process. Almost all types of electronics have this, but it fades relatively quickly and doesn't warrant any real concern if not exposed often or in large quantities. This layer will burn off quickly in low to moderate heat and be gone within 24 hrs. It is always advised to ventilate areas with made made chemicals which 'burn off'.

Benzene is present in many products, including Mac's and PCs (as plastics and synthetic rubbers). Many things when burnt emit benzene. However, 'a lot' would have to be burnt for it to become seriously hazardous and I doubt the Mac would contain that much plastic/rubber.

That said, I run all major electronics for 24 hours in a well ventilated area of the house before setting them up permanently. This give it time to burn off this protective layer and also test the equipment for any defects. Don't want to notice something wrong after spending 3-6 hours setting up a home theatre system just to find out one of the channels is blown
Old 20th of October 2008 (Mon)   #15
Pete
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
There's a new thread on the Apple support forum.
The author is Adam Lee who works in tech support and prep
for Australia's biggest Apple distributor >>>

"Apple Mac Pro alleged to emit toxic gas (could be true?)
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 8:39 PM Reply

I work in tech support and prep for Australia's biggest Apple distributor, and am in contact with many a new Mac during the course of my day. I have not really noticed odors as such (apart from new) emanating from Mac Pro's.

I also have the said Mac Pro sitting next to me writing this.

So begins what happened today?

Whilst in the shower my smoke alarm goes off?

I'm like jumping out to see where the fire is?

No fire! I wave a towel in the direction of the smoke alarm and all is quite once again.

Within a few moments the alarm is going off again, to my astonishment, the room is filled with a very strange odor indeed, yep you've guessed it emanating from the Mac Pro.

So now I'm thinking whether the recent articles referring to Mac Pros are correct or not, and I'm not sure whether breathing in these fumes is a good idea, as it is certainly not the smell of the new I am use to.

I for one would like to know for certain I will be proposing a test of our own at work tomorrow without a doubt.

Of course I can inform you all in the future if I did get cancer?

This is not a negative to Apple, its important to know, if this post gets removed then I will believe it is a cover up?

Watch this space?

Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core 12GB RAM 2 xTB HD's Mac OS X (10.5.5) 30" Apple Display, 2x 2.5 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, iSight, iPod, RME Fireface 800 "
I'm pretty sure that Apple have pretty strict non-disclosure agreements preventing their employees from saying things like this. Otherwise you'd see a great deal more leaks than there have been.

I strongly suspect that the poster here has nothing to do with Apple, so I'd discount this as pure imagination/scaremongering.