Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Domke F-3x

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 17, 2011 08:07 |  #136

4-compartment insert sounds like the Domke 720-240 or 720-240W, both of which are listed as "options" for the F3x.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
eleveninth
42 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 17, 2011 09:55 |  #137

Jon wrote in post #12772472 (external link)
4-compartment insert sounds like the Domke 720-240 or 720-240W, both of which are listed as "options" for the F3x.

ok i went to tiffens site to check on those models..

but it states that those modelsdon't fit the f3x (external link). :cry:

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
189 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 17, 2011 10:29 |  #138

djchrono wrote in post #12771522 (external link)
I recently got this bag (ruggedwear version) and it came with a square padded insert for the camera section that isn't in the original review for this bag. I am not sure if they started including them with this bag more recently or what, but it definitely adds some more protection for the camera without adding too much bulk.

You bought the bag new and it came with a 4-compartment divider? That's the first I've seen or heard of an F-3X with the dividers. Could you post a picture of the inside with the divider? I'm curious to see what happens with the canvas loops on the ends.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 17, 2011 11:52 |  #139

eleveninth wrote in post #12772774 (external link)
ok i went to tiffens site to check on those models..

but it states that those modelsdon't fit the f3x (external link). :cry:

They're the only size 4-compartment inserts Domke makes (the 246 is the same footprint, just shorter). If someone got an insert included in their bag, new from the factory, that's what it would have had to have been. Personally, I don't use the inserts on the F3x.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

eleveninth
42 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 17, 2011 18:53 |  #140

Jon wrote in post #12773259 (external link)
They're the only size 4-compartment inserts Domke makes (the 246 is the same footprint, just shorter). If someone got an insert included in their bag, new from the factory, that's what it would have had to have been. Personally, I don't use the inserts on the F3x.

Hmm ok.. I tried the 240 in the shops this afternoon, they werent a great fit.

Might go back and try the 246 sometime..

Thanks for the help Jon

djchrono
85 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2011 23:44 |  #141

YankeeHotelFoxtrot wrote in post #12772913 (external link)
You bought the bag new and it came with a 4-compartment divider? That's the first I've seen or heard of an F-3X with the dividers. Could you post a picture of the inside with the divider? I'm curious to see what happens with the canvas loops on the ends.

It's not a 4 compartment divider.. there's not much use for something like that because the space is so small, unless you wern't even planning to carry a camera body in it. It's one square padded insert with an open top that fits in the middle of the bag, giving what would usually be the camera body with lens attached more padding. I can post up some pictures soon.

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX | Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 EX | Canon 580EX II

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 18, 2011 15:16 |  #142

Could be the 720-211 Large One-Compartment insert then . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

djchrono
85 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 21:16 |  #143

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6029/5952467535_8ff957d233_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/5953021710_8a509853df_b.jpg

Purchased through Ace Photo on Amazon on June 2nd. The insert doesn't have any label or indication what product number it would be.

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX | Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 EX | Canon 580EX II

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 18, 2011 22:03 |  #144

Colour of the basic material looks like Domke's inserts (can't tell for sure from the colour cast on the shot); I've not seen any with black binder tape on them though. If the exterior's a shiny grey-green nylon and the side pads slide out the bottom, I'd call them genuine examples of the newest version.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

djchrono
85 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 23:06 |  #145

Jon wrote in post #12782746 (external link)
Colour of the basic material looks like Domke's inserts (can't tell for sure from the colour cast on the shot); I've not seen any with black binder tape on them though. If the exterior's a shiny grey-green nylon and the side pads slide out the bottom, I'd call them genuine examples of the newest version.

Yeah, it's shiny green on the outside and the pads do slide out (didn't notice that before). So I guess this comes standard with the bag now.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2011 12:35 |  #146

Being picky, I spent quite a bit of time looking at Domke bags before buying my F3/X ruggedwear. I found subtle differences in dimensions; bought the ruggedwear because my gear fit in it better than the other choices.
I find their labeling confusing. It's hard to see the model number when you're looking at a display of bags.
I was there so long that Henry's discounted my bag! Think they wanted me out of there. ;)

Just my thought--Domke is a special interest bag. Cult bag? ;) Here in Canada the price is attrocious. (Vistek, Henry's) And my bags were made even better when I bought Domke Postal Pads for the gripper strap.

Domkes are good gear. They help me take photos quickly, and better than other bag choices. They help my work-flow. Shooter's bags.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2011 07:01 |  #147

2mnycars wrote in post #13449817 (external link)
Being picky, I spent quite a bit of time looking at Domke bags before buying my F3/X ruggedwear. I found subtle differences in dimensions; bought the ruggedwear because my gear fit in it better than the other choices.
I find their labeling confusing. It's hard to see the model number when you're looking at a display of bags.
I was there so long that Henry's discounted my bag! Think they wanted me out of there. ;)

Just my thought--Domke is a special interest bag. Cult bag? ;) Here in Canada the price is attrocious. (Vistek, Henry's) And my bags were made even better when I bought Domke Postal Pads for the gripper strap.

Domkes are good gear. They help me take photos quickly, and better than other bag choices. They help my work-flow. Shooter's bags.

I do miss my Domkes - they were very good bags but I seem to have found myself only using a pair of Crumpler bags these past couple of years thanks to a change in what sort of shooting I do. If I ever return to the sorts of street/gig shooting I did I think I'd move back to Domkes in a heartbeat - they're really very good for that sort of thing.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2011 18:26 |  #148

Jim we have 2 extremes of users.
some value shooting speed. Some value storage and safety. I like gear that helps me take better photos, or quicker photos.
It's good there are lots of choices.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 26, 2011 19:53 |  #149

cool insert. like a cup holder hehe

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK http://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 24, 2011 14:05 as a reply to  @ tomcat7886's post |  #150

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m-Y916WTzV8/TvYtsPV8GUI/AAAAAAAAAPc/eDJAyQ7vmBc/w551-h413-k/IMG_0853.JPG

This is mine, in chocolate brown. It's awesome for an informal day trip. It holds a Canon 7D, ungripped, with a 17-50 zoom attached, a 70-200 f4 zoom and the hood for 70-200 lens. I also place lens cleaning stuff in the main compartment. In the side compartment, I place a 430 flash and in the upside down pocket, I place a media wallet. There is still one side pocket unfilled, I could fill that with misc stuff. The bag carries comfortably and I am not worried about my gear being vulnerable to knocks and bangs. There is some light padding on the bottom of the bag, but no other actual padding. None the less, the bag is well designed enough that it can still protect my gear from the elements and everyday use. The primary advantage of the Domke design is that it's flexible enough that you don't feel like you are carrying a microwave oven on your shoulder. It molds nicely to your side. Bags with tons of thick, protective padding don't mold to nuthin'. Sometimes I like a bag with lots of protective padding and I accept the compromise. Sometimes I want mobility and quick(er) access and then I use my Domke.

sponsored links

136,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Domke F-3x
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.