Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 19 Oct 2008 (Sunday) 09:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Review: Domke F-3x

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009
NYC, NY
Jan 16, 2012 21:10 |  #151

So I just got a new F2 (B&H deal in Marketplace) and removed the 4 way insert and installed it in the F-3x.

Now I cannot decide whether to use the F2 (of which I have 2) or the F3X. I definitely do not need to be carrying any more weight. Currently at 16lbs.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Domke_F-3X.jpg (external link) by Heath Aaron (external link), on Flickr
Contents of Bag
Left Pocket
  • 580EXII
  • (8) Spare Enloop Batteries in Case

Right Pocket
  • S100
  • Spare Memory cards for both camera
  • Spare battery for DSLR
  • Business Cards

Main Pocket
  • Canon 7D
  • Sigma 4.5 (mounted)
  • 28 1.8
  • 85 1.8
  • 70-200 2.8 IS MKII

Front Pocket
  • iPad 2
  • X-rite Color Checker Passport

Pocket in top flap and back pocket are currently empty. Usually I would put a cheap

And there is plenty of room for more stuff.

Now I need to load up the F2 and decide whether I like a smaller bag with everything crammed in or a bigger bag with more room to work. The hard part is going to be not adding the kitchen sink to the bigger bag.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blogexternal link-Twitterexternal link-Zenfolioexternal link-500pxexternal link-Pinterestexternal link-Gear List

sponsored links
oskire
314 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Guam
Jun 04, 2012 19:21 |  #152

I got my Domke F-3x in today! I should be getting my 70-200F4 IS in the mail later on today or tomorrow. Here's my question.

Can I fit all below, with the 70-200, into my new bag?

T1i Gripped
10-22 w/hood
24-105 w/hood
100 Macro w/hood
28 2.8 w/hood
50 1.8
430EX ii

Stuff

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jun 04, 2012 19:31 |  #153

No. For that, you want the Domke F-2. For that matter, you'd be pushing it to fit the stuff you have now into an F3x without putting a lens or two in an outside pocket. If you want to try, while minimizing the lenses in outer pockets, put the 70-200 on the camera and surround it with as many of the other lenses as you can.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

oskire
314 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Guam
Jun 04, 2012 19:56 |  #154

Thanks Jon! I'll probably not carry the 100 and 50 to make room. I just put all the above in and it's pretty comfortable walking around. I have a Kata backpack for most of my gear but I'll use the Domke for lighter travels. I'll post pics up later if I can.

Stuff

No ­ Earthly ­ Man
53 posts
Joined May 2007
Jul 21, 2013 07:01 as a reply to oskire's post |  #155

I've been through quite a few bags since I got my 350d about 7/8 years ago. And now, with the F3X, I'm pretty sure I've found the one that I'll stick with! It's crazy how much you can fill this thing without it feeling overly heavy or looking massive!

A camera, some glass, a left foot and a right foot.
http://www.altphotogra​phy.com/external link

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Australia.
Jul 21, 2013 07:49 |  #156

No Earthly Man wrote in post #16139484external link
I've been through quite a few bags since I got my 350d about 7/8 years ago. And now, with the F3X, I'm pretty sure I've found the one that I'll stick with! It's crazy how much you can fill this thing without it feeling overly heavy or looking massive!

Yes, it is really quite an excellent bit of kit. I sold mine a while back due to changing needs but now I'm considering picking one up again, heh.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

No ­ Earthly ­ Man
53 posts
Joined May 2007
Jul 21, 2013 08:56 |  #157

Jim G wrote in post #16139558external link
Yes, it is really quite an excellent bit of kit. I sold mine a while back due to changing needs but now I'm considering picking one up again, heh.

I picked mine up used, because I just couldn't justify the price of a new one here in the UK, despite all the glowing praise I'd read about them. Now I'm a little disappointed that I didn't just save up a little longer and buy the new Ruggedwear one that I'd really wanted.

Still, I'm incredibly happy with what I've got.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Jul 22, 2013 13:25 |  #158

Wonderful review that has been seen by a lot of people.
I have a Ruggedwear f3x and olive F2. I prefer the f3x shape, but wish I had chosen a different colour. ymmv.
Caution...I have replaced the plastic fittings that attach the strap.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Jul 22, 2013 16:36 |  #159
banned

Have the rugged wear F-6. Decided I needed some more room so changed it up but it was a great bag while I needed it.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

Pericles77
31 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Beijing/Edmonton
Jul 24, 2013 01:07 |  #160

Two questions:

1) Can the 70-200 IS f4 with reversed lens hood fit in one of the lens pouches?

2) Is it possible to flatten or fold in order to put inside a larger bag during transit?

Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS | YN-568EX, YN-622C, Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2, Domke F-3X, Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 350AW
-----
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pericles77/external link

No ­ Earthly ­ Man
53 posts
Joined May 2007
Jul 24, 2013 13:51 |  #161

Pericles77 wrote in post #16148700external link
Two questions:

1) Can the 70-200 IS f4 with reversed lens hood fit in one of the lens pouches?

2) Is it possible to flatten or fold in order to put inside a larger bag during transit?

Can't answer Q1, but yes, you can roll it into a relatively flat shape. Although it's a strong bag, it's not overly firm. Which is one of the main things I love about it!

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Feb 27, 2017 21:06 |  #162

I bring greetings from the year 2017!

I found this thread while searching for information on the Domke F-3X, with all the usual questions of usability and will my gear fit and blah blah blah. This thread was a great help, so I just wanted to resurrect it for a moment to thank everybody for contributing to this great thread. A special thanks to Jim G for not only the excellent and well-illustrated review, but also for staying involved in the discussion for nearly five years! Thanks also to all the folks who shared their personal experiences and photos such as Jon, ANGUS, artspraken, 7dfever, zwright, jklewer, djchrono, and Rainyday. I'm sure there are others I omitted who deserve thanks as well, so apologies to anybody I missed and thanks to one and all!

I've always preferred small bags (my main bag for the past couple of years has been a Tamrac Rally 6), but I've been thinking about a larger bag lately and my recent acquisition of a grip for my 70D made it a necessity. I liked the F-3X in principle but I had a lot of questions about it and this thread has been a big help.

I picked one up today at my favorite local brick-and-mortar camera store, Ace Photo in Ashburn VA (one of the few remaining real camera stores in the DC area). They have a big room to one side, probably half of the sales floor, filled with rows and rows of bags from all of the well-known manufacturers. While the olive green and the RuggedWear brown both looked really sharp, I was going to get the sand color because I prefer light colors. However, they had two in tan, which I think is an older color, but I liked it so I got one of those. It's less brown than the sand color, more like khaki. Here it is:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here is how I have it loaded now:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

In the middle is the 70D + grip + Sigma 17-70. On the left is the Canon 70-200 f/4L, and on the right is the Canon 10-18 STM.

I also have a 430EX II flash in one of the side pockets, with plenty of room to spare. The other side pocket is currently empty, and I have my filters (grad ND + polarizer + Cokin P holder + rings) in the front pocket.

Thanks again to all!
Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Jim ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Australia.
Dec 30, 2017 19:38 |  #163

mcoren wrote in post #18287294 (external link)
I bring greetings from the year 2017!

I found this thread while searching for information on the Domke F-3X, with all the usual questions of usability and will my gear fit and blah blah blah. This thread was a great help, so I just wanted to resurrect it for a moment to thank everybody for contributing to this great thread. A special thanks to Jim G for not only the excellent and well-illustrated review, but also for staying involved in the discussion for nearly five years! Thanks also to all the folks who shared their personal experiences and photos such as Jon, ANGUS, artspraken, 7dfever, zwright, jklewer, djchrono, and Rainyday. I'm sure there are others I omitted who deserve thanks as well, so apologies to anybody I missed and thanks to one and all!

I've always preferred small bags (my main bag for the past couple of years has been a Tamrac Rally 6), but I've been thinking about a larger bag lately and my recent acquisition of a grip for my 70D made it a necessity. I liked the F-3X in principle but I had a lot of questions about it and this thread has been a big help.

I picked one up today at my favorite local brick-and-mortar camera store, Ace Photo in Ashburn VA (one of the few remaining real camera stores in the DC area). They have a big room to one side, probably half of the sales floor, filled with rows and rows of bags from all of the well-known manufacturers. While the olive green and the RuggedWear brown both looked really sharp, I was going to get the sand color because I prefer light colors. However, they had two in tan, which I think is an older color, but I liked it so I got one of those. It's less brown than the sand color, more like khaki. Here it is:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mcoren in
./showthread.php?p=182​87294&i=i182730556
forum: Canon Accessories

Here is how I have it loaded now:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mcoren in
./showthread.php?p=182​87294&i=i81970756
forum: Canon Accessories

In the middle is the 70D + grip + Sigma 17-70. On the left is the Canon 70-200 f/4L, and on the right is the Canon 10-18 STM.

I also have a 430EX II flash in one of the side pockets, with plenty of room to spare. The other side pocket is currently empty, and I have my filters (grad ND + polarizer + Cokin P holder + rings) in the front pocket.

Thanks again to all!
Mike

Wow, the forums sure look different compared to last time I logged in. Glad to see people are still getting use out of the review :)

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

cristphoto
819 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Post has been last edited 20 days ago by cristphoto. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 31, 2017 10:46 |  #164

I have the Domke F2 and its still in use today. Domke bags are durable and simply get the job done. Attached is my post from several years ago.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=11​535957

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

sponsored links

132,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Domke F-3x
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.