Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 21 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 09:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best disposable camera lens wipes?

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Oct 21, 2008 09:34 |  #1

I am seeing spots on my images produced by my Canon 10-22mm. I have been reading up on "lens cleaning" and decided I would like to try the disposable wipes to start out. Are there certain ones / brands to avoid?

Which ones are you guys using? I don't want to (but will if that is what's required) spend $3 for a 10 pack of disposable tissues, but also don't want anything that may damage the glass.

Thanks for any help.

I saw this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net ...7687&highlight=disp​osable

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Oct 21, 2008 10:03 |  #2

The only ones I have tried (because I heard they were the best) were the Zeiss pre-moistened ones and they left a residue one my filter once the liquid cleaning solution dried that I had the wipe off with my lenspen.

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Austin, Texas, USA
Oct 21, 2008 13:18 as a reply to ben_r_'s post |  #3

Usually the Rocket Blower alone is enough, but when it's not:

http://www.photosol.co​m/padproduct.htmexternal link

Shawn McHorse - Shawn.McHorse.comexternal link / AustinRocky.orgexternal link
DSLR: 5D Mark III Compact: S100 Flash: 580EX II Bag: Tamrac Rally 5
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS,
50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Oct 21, 2008 15:38 |  #4

I like the Zeiss ones too. Blow first to remove any loose grit. Sometimes I may have had to follow up with a soft microfiber cloth to remove the last bit of residue. It's usually best to clean infrequently. The more often you mess with it, the greater likelihood for a scratch or other accident.
Are you sure the smudge is on your lens and not the sensor?

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Oct 21, 2008 22:41 as a reply to Bearmann's post |  #5

Can you post up an example of the "spots" you're seeing on your images with that lens? If there's dust or spots on the front element of the lens, it's likely not going to show in your images because it will be so far out of the plane of focus. It's entirely possible the spots you are seeing is sensor dust...

John

tin.risky
804 posts
Joined May 2007
New York
Oct 22, 2008 12:22 |  #6

Unless you're really set on the idea of getting disposable wipes, it might be best to just pick up a good lenspen. I've never had to use any kind of wipe. I personally don't like the idea of putting any kind of liquid cleaner on my glass. All I use is my lenspen and/or rocketblower, and they always get the job done.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Dallas, TX
Oct 22, 2008 12:43 |  #7

As already mentioned, if you have spots on your images, they unlikely from dust or dirt on your lens. Check you sensor instead. Shoot a picture of the clear sky at f22 or higher. You will see the spots if it is the sensor.

Jim

My Gear

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Oct 22, 2008 14:54 |  #8

Or shoot a white ceiling at f22 and even on the LCD screen, zoom to max and go around the edges. If you see dust, you need to blow it out or wet clean it.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

JJD.Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Oct 23, 2008 10:16 as a reply to SuzyView's post |  #9

Thanks for all the feedback. I am definitely looking into a quality lenspen. Here are 2 images that have the spots. I am at work so the images will not show up on the pc. They are across the sky and I believe this was shot with a high aperture. Again at work so I can not access the properties of the photo through flickr.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I was shooting an owl the other day with a telephoto (low aperture). The spots are NOT present on those.

I was browsing Amazon for wipes before checking this thread and came across what appears to either be a great deal or error in price:

Reg. $99.95 down to $1.99 (external link)

If not good for the glass, what about wiping down the camera body or lens body?

Thanks again for the feedback :cool:

ADDED: Also wanted to mention my g/f (in the pic above) is having the same issue with her images. It started on our Smokey Mountain trip 2 weeks ago. I think we switched out lenses at the same time / place throughout the trip (most of the time in the back of the rental car)....

flickr (external link)

homersapien
350 posts
Joined May 2008
Denver, CO
Oct 23, 2008 18:56 |  #10

It's not the lenses, it's dust on your camera's sensor. Buy a rocket blower and follow the instructions ;) Living with a dSLR means living with dust...no way around it.

JJD.Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Oct 23, 2008 19:48 |  #11

homersapien wrote in post #6549660external link
It's not the lenses, it's dust on your camera's sensor. Buy a rocket blower and follow the instructions ;) Living with a dSLR means living with dust...no way around it.

Thanks for the advice! I just googled "rocket blower" and have something similar that arrived in a kit with a purchase I made from Amazon. the blower I have does produce a fair amount of wind, but does not have the hole on the rear side. Should I look into a genuine "rocket blower" or will the one I have due the trick?

I just watched a youtube video demonstrating the use of the rocket blower. Very simple task so give me feedback to get my camera back in top notch shape ;) :D

Thanks again for posting

flickr (external link)

Maxdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Oct 24, 2008 05:58 |  #12

Bearmann wrote in post #6536002external link
I like the Zeiss ones too. Blow first to remove any loose grit. Sometimes I may have had to follow up with a soft microfiber cloth to remove the last bit of residue. It's usually best to clean infrequently. The more often you mess with it, the greater likelihood for a scratch or other accident.
Are you sure the smudge is on your lens and not the sensor?

+1 ... exactly

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Oct 24, 2008 06:02 |  #13

You definitely have a dirty sensor...Get a real Rocket blower....they are inexpensive and work the way they are intended. A Lenspen SensorKlear is a good investment too.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,619 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Oct 24, 2008 14:17 |  #14

Slightly soiled Huggies work every time. :lol:

jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Atlanta, GA
Oct 24, 2008 22:13 |  #15

Lenspens are great!

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

sponsored links

14,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best disposable camera lens wipes?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.