Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of October 2008 (Sun)   #1
nateut

Default November Photo Suggestions in Gatlinburg?

Over the November 14-16 weekend, I'm heading to Gatlinburg, TN for a wedding. I should have some time to sneak away in the morning and late afternoon and head to the national park to take some pictures, but this will be my first visit and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where I should head to get some great fall weather shots of the park. I'm looking to get some great general landscape and wildlife shots, and I'd like to find a waterfall or two if the water is flowing good.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by nateut : 5th of November 2008 (Wed) at 13:42.
nateut is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of October 2008 (Fri)   #2
MHawk

Default Re: November Spots in Gatlinburg

I'm pretty familiar with the Smokies and was there just 2 weeks ago but given your limited time my advise is to stop in either the Gatlinburg welcome center that's 1 mile before you get into Gatlinburg on the parkway or the Sugarlands center that's 1 mile the other side of Gatlinburg in the part itself. The people that work there can give you plenty of good advise as to where to go. The area has had 2 years of low rainfall and the streams and falls aren't as nice as usual but still you should be able to get some good shots if you go to the right place. Probably the best in the park is Ramses Casacade but your talking an 8 mile round trip strenuous hike! If the weather co-operates be at Clingman's dome (the highest point in the Smokies) at sunset. The sky and view can truely be awesome. I got there 20 minutes too late and could have cried it was so fantastic. Let us/me know how it goes. Michael
MHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of November 2008 (Tue)   #3
jacuff
Goldmember

To get fall colors around that time, you'll need to be at the lower elevations. Little River around Elkmont or Tremont is probably the best place.

For general landscape and wildlife shots, Cades Cove is the place to go... but expect a lot of traffic. Cataloochee Valley is probably the next best place to go. It won't have near the traffic as Cades Cove, but it is kind of far away from Gatlinburg and requires a commitment to go there. There will be some wildlife on the Roaring Fork motor trail. This spot is just outside of Gatlinburg.

There are a few waterfalls near Gatlinburg. Rainbow Falls is just before the Roaring Fork starts. On Roaring Fork you can get to Grotto Falls and Place of a Thousand Drips. Ramsey Cascade is the best, but also requires a commitment to hike there. The first 2 miles are very easy, but the last 2 are very strenuous miles through old virgin forest. Meigs Falls is on the road between Elkmont and the Townsend Wye. Another popular waterfall is Laurel Falls. It's only a mile hike to the waterfall on a paved trail. If you stay on the trail past the waterfall, you can usually see bears. (Don't go alone.)

Really it all depends on what the weather is like. I'm about a 45 minute drive away from GRSM, so I go there often.
Old 5th of November 2008 (Wed)   #4
nateut

Thanks for the tips! I am eagerly awaiting my trip and hope the weather cooperates. I'm already planning on going out early Saturday morning and again in the afternoon (after a wedding ceremony). I'm really hoping to get some good pictures of the wildlife and landscapes that we just don't see in northwest Ohio.

Thanks again; I'll be sure to post any of my better shots when I get back!

Last edited by nateut : 5th of November 2008 (Wed) at 08:26.
nateut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of November 2008 (Wed)   #5
Ecnedac118

I just got back from visiting Gatlinburg (Oct 20-24). I second the opinions of these two, that Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome were both very beautiful places to take some pictures. If your looking for something quick and easy, I recommend going up one of the ski lifts in town. You'll be able to take a few elevation shots that might work in the evenings... Enjoy!
Ecnedac118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of November 2008 (Thu)   #6
rdricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacuff View Post
For general landscape and wildlife shots, Cades Cove is the place to go... but expect a lot of traffic. Cataloochee Valley is probably the next best place to go. It won't have near the traffic as Cades Cove, but it is kind of far away from Gatlinburg and requires a commitment to go there. There will be some wildlife on the Roaring Fork motor trail. This spot is just outside of Gatlinburg.
We drove the Roaring Fork motor trail last month. I have been the GSMNP quite a bit, but never drove that trail. It was a very nice area. We saw bear and deer. Not as much wildlife as Cades Cove, but I was impressed nonetheless. And for someplace so accessible, I was surprised how few people were there. I definitely recommend that drive!