Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 22 Feb 2005 (Tuesday) 18:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A train for Belmondo

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 22, 2005 18:43 |  #1

Caught this one on my way to the lake today. Nothing special, just had to snap one:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/40069795/large.jpg

There wasn't much railroad activity today, at least not when I was by the tracks. However, after I got home to sort through today's shots, I must have heard at least 8 trains go by (I'm about 1 mile from the tracks).

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

sponsored links
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Feb 22, 2005 18:48 |  #2

Hey, Tom. Here's something we have in common. We see lots of NS engines out here in California. The Union Pacific is currently suffering a motive power shortage, so they're leasing some engines from NS which has a surplus.

I really think they look good. My wife, the fashion maven, tells me that basic black is always very stylish (and according to Ilya, faster.)

Nice shot. Thanks.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Tom ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 22, 2005 19:07 |  #3

Oddly, NS is leasing engines from Conrail (or maybe they've merged - I can't keep up). I also see mixed Burlington-Northern Santa-Fe engines with NS, though they usually run on their own.

Haven't seen a B&O for a while, though. :)

BTW, my black lenses are, for the most part, faster than my white ones so Ilya may be on to something. ;)

EDIT: PS - while I posted this, 2 more trains have passed. Why don't they run like this during the day. Actually, I know why - they're doing heavy track maintenance so they are probably holding everything up until the end of the work shift.

Tom

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Feb 22, 2005 19:15 as a reply to Tom W's post |  #4

Tom W wrote:
Haven't seen a B&O for a while, though. :)

I think the B&O was swallowed my the C&O in 1961, and they officially merged in 1962. Eventually, it became the Chessie System sometime in the seventies. Actually, here's the whole chronology:
http://www.csx.com ...seaction=history.he​ritageexternal link

Tom ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 22, 2005 19:47 |  #5

Thanks for the information, Tom. I remember B&O from my childhood, but I believe it was from my Dad's conversations rather than from actually seeing the railroad in action. Perhaps a couple of older B&O engines were still in service under C&O's control. It would have had to be the late 1960's before I was cognizant of these kinds of things anyway. In 1961, I was very happy to have learned to use the toilet!

Tom

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Connecticut, USA
Feb 22, 2005 20:01 as a reply to Tom W's post |  #6

Nice shot. I think Conrail is gone forever, CSX and UP bought up most of the lines from what I understand. could be wrong.. :confused:

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

Tom ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 22, 2005 20:11 as a reply to stoneylonesome's post |  #7

stoneylonesome wrote:
Nice shot. I think Conrail is gone forever, CSX and UP bought up most of the lines from what I understand. could be wrong.. :confused:

I've seen CSX engines mixed in with the Norfolk&Southern engines as well as Conrail. Maybe they bought them and are too cheap to paint them. Which is OK, since I like the CSX colors, and Conrail blue is a very familiar sight, given that I lived near Conrail tracks in the Cleveland area a few years back.

Tom

RJSorensen
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Near Tin Cup, Wyoming, USA
Mar 04, 2005 07:10 |  #8

Trains of any make, model or color are all welcome here . . . nice shot.

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

DWilkin
154 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Beautiful Sequim, WA
Mar 04, 2005 10:14 |  #9

Who the devil is the Pekka fellow you speak so highly of? Good picture.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Mar 04, 2005 11:00 as a reply to DWilkin's post |  #10

Please....

That name is spoken only in reverence around here. I'll send you an email explaining who he is and why he is much loved.

(for starters, though.....he is the administrator [owner] of this forum.)

Tom ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Mar 04, 2005 17:24 as a reply to Belmondo's post |  #11

Well here's another from the same area. I was talking to the engineer of a stationary Norfolk & Southern when this odd couple rolled by on Track #1:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/40395465/large.jpg

Turns out that Conrail was divvied up by both CSX and Norfolk & Southern, according to the engineer. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe engine is being leased by N&S due to a shortage of motive power at this end of the system. I suspect that NS is profiting from the simultaneous leasing out and leasing in of engines.

Tom

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Mar 04, 2005 17:33 as a reply to Belmondo's post |  #12

belmondo wrote:
Hey, Tom. Here's something we have in common.....

You mean other than your first and last names? (well almost all of your last names anywyas)

:lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Mar 04, 2005 18:21 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

beautiful to see the trains Tom
very nice shadows in the first shot too

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Mar 04, 2005 18:46 as a reply to Tom W's post |  #14

Tom W wrote:
Well here's another from the same area. I was talking to the engineer of a stationary Norfolk & Southern when this odd couple rolled by on Track #1:

Turns out that Conrail was divvied up by both CSX and Norfolk & Southern, according to the engineer. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe engine is being leased by N&S due to a shortage of motive power at this end of the system. I suspect that NS is profiting from the simultaneous leasing out and leasing in of engines.

There's no doubt that BNSF has had some of the best paint schemes in recent years. We see very few of them out here. We do have BNSF track within an hour's drive, so if I really want to see them, it's not that far to go.

It does seem ironic that I see quite a few non-UP engines here....CSX, NS, and others. We also get the occasion nondescript leased engines that defy description.

NIce shot, Tom

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,161 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Mar 04, 2005 20:39 |  #15

I have enjoyed this thread, both the good photos and the discussion.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

sponsored links

3,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
A train for Belmondo
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.