Thread started 28 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 16:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mypoppy31
Joined Aug 2005
232 posts
Eastchester, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I just bought the new Canon SX10 IS camera and I'd like to get
a lens protector for it but can't get any info on this.
I don't even know what the millemeter size is for this lens.
The manual has nothing on the lens millemeter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Post #1, Oct 28, 2008 16:06:56

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Sean
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,714 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

Are there even threads for it? Any by lens protector, are you talking about a filter?

Post #2, Nov 01, 2008 09:58:18

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickrexternal link - C&C Always welcome.

c2thew
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

some have said that the sx10 can take 52mm filters. but i can't confirm as there aren't any threads on the lens?

Post #3, Nov 01, 2008 16:46:45

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

rbakeratl
Joined Sep 2008
181 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Poking around on the Net it seemed that a few people said one couldattach 52mm filters to the SX10 and since it is possible to get cheap filters, I decided to give it a try.

If you've ever held an SX10 you know that there really aren't any threads for a filter to properly screw into. However, there are groves for the lens cap. I purchased a Targus 52mm polarizer and while it doesn't screw tight and/or feel really stable, it does grip the lens cap grove enough that it stays in place.

So far I have not seen any real loss of quality, focus speed, etc.

The only problem I have had is when doing macro shots and I actually touch the bottom of the filter to another surface while trying to stabilize the camera. When doing this the filter has fell off twice, which is a small percentage of the time.

This companyexternal link is reportedly making a filter holder for the SX10. It has been delayed slightly because of quality issues with the intended 52mm holder. They are now making it 58mm and it will attach to the camera exactly like the lens hood.

Post #4, Dec 14, 2008 13:21:43

Atlanta Photographerexternal link
flickrexternal link

svsinco
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2008
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My new SX10 accepts 52 mm filters BUT, a new filter I bought would not match threads with the ones in the camera lens. I tried a filter I have had for years and it works, but is tight. Today, I took my new filter to BestBuy and tried it on the floor model and once again, the threads won't match with the lens. Eventually, I carefully screwed the older filter onto the camera and will avoid taking it off.

I suggest carefully working through this problem since you don't want to mar the camera and make it harder to return it if something else goes wrong. Inspection of my camera reveals that using the older filter has done no damage to the lens threads and it does provide a way to mount other filters. Another issue is the ability of this camera to focus to 0 distance. When you are in Super Macro, you can see every little blemish on the filter. Keep it clean!

Post #5, Dec 14, 2008 20:40:02 as a reply to rbakeratl's post 7 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
WrzWaldo
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2008
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The SX10is does not have a threaded lens! That's why it's difficult to thread a filter into it! It has rings for the lens cap to grab.

Lensmate is making a bayonet mount filter adapter that attaches as the lens hood does.

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/external link

WW

Post #6, Dec 15, 2008 12:26:58 as a reply to svsinco's post 15 hours earlier.

rbakeratl
Joined Sep 2008
181 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

WrzWaldo wrote in post #6882745external link
The SX10is does not have a threaded lens! That's why it's difficult to thread a filter into it! It has rings for the lens cap to grab.

Lensmate is making a bayonet mount filter adapter that attaches as the lens hood does.

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/external link

WW

I thought that's what I said ;)

Post #7, Dec 15, 2008 12:55:38

Atlanta Photographerexternal link
flickrexternal link

WrzWaldo
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2008
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rbakeratl wrote in post #6882890external link
I thought that's what I said ;)

Yep, but it looked like svs... did not hear you.:lol:

Post #8, Dec 15, 2008 16:39:18

PenFT ­ Man
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2009
1 post
Hatboro PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's an effective and safe filter-mount solution that won't mar or disfigure the camera's lens surround.

Do use 52mm filters, but be aware that at the full wide-angle 28mm setting, the 52mm filter will cause vignetting. This problem 'goes away' with a lens setting beyond 35mm or so. How to attach that filter: Buy a 55>52mm step-down ring. Today, most camera shops will not have this in stock, but can order it for you. It should cost less than $15.00. Then file/sand/grind off its 55mm threads, to create a flat 'back' surface. Carefully Gorilla-glue it to the outside of the stock Canon lens hood, and pay attention to it's 'concentric' alignment, to minimize the amount of vignetting you will get. Once the adhesive sets up, consider painting (flat black preferred) the bright-aluminum 'ring' on the inside of the lens hood that will now face the lens. Unpainted, this might cause unwanted reflections in your images. The included image shows this shiny 'ring' before I coated it with a black permanent marking pen. The red dot on the lens hood is an alignment aid I added, to ease the mounting of the hood.

Final steps: Thoroughly wash and dry the step-down ring's 52mm threads of any aluminum dust. At this point, a light application of lubricant via Q-tip to the threads may be helpful, then screw on your filter(s), install the filter-lens hood assembly to the camera and enjoy a protected lens plus the other advantages of the filters you like to use.

Do note: There is not a lot of finger-room between the 52mm filter and the lens hood. This is a minor problem for me, since I have slim fingers. If you've got big fingers, consider this before starting this project.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #9, Jan 10, 2009 15:10:16

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens protector for Canon SX10 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES