Shooting the Sun?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 06 Nov 2008 (Thursday) 08:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

0ozma
Joined Oct 2008
245 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was wondering if shooting the sun is damaging to your lenses or sensor? I've taken a few shots of dark clouds with the sun bursting directly through and it didn't seem like a problem, but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks!

Post #1, Nov 06, 2008 08:01:21

Canon 50D | Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm F/4 L | Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 |
Save $5 on a new Zenfolio account using this code:
3P6-72F-UB8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,479 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Bad idea to point any optics directly at the Sun, especially if it is not diffused at or near the horizon. Staring at a magnified Sun can damage your vision permanently in a very short amount of time. And yes, magnifying the Sun to a focal point at your camera sensor can create excess heating which could cause damage. How much magnification and length of exposure is too much? That depends but it really isn't an experiment worth making or risk worth taking. I always picture the results we got as kids with a magnifying glass under the bright sun.

Post #2, Nov 06, 2008 08:41:17

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

A.S.I.G.N. ­ Observatory
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,849 posts
Canberra, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

You can buy special solar filters that go IN FRONT of your lens. The silver type sheet that looks like aluminum foil lets you see the sun in it's natural color (white) and you will be able to see sunspots and the sharp limb of the sun.

A Hydrogen-Alpha filter is very expensive. This lets you see the outer layer of the sun, where you will see large solar prominences, flares and coronal mass ejections.

NEVER buy solar filters that attatch to eyepieces. They are dangerous and illegal. You MUST filter the sun's rays BEFORE they enter the lense.

Look up coranado scopes and solar filters for solar viewing and photography.

Baz.

Post #3, Nov 15, 2008 06:56:07 as a reply to Nighthound's post 8 days earlier.

Australian Wildlife Photographer
BA Photographyexternal link
ASIGN Observatory IIexternal link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

A.S.I.G.N. Observatory wrote in post #6691256external link
You can buy special solar filters that go IN FRONT of your lens. The silver type sheet that looks like aluminum foil lets you see the sun in it's natural color (white) and you will be able to see sunspots and the sharp limb of the sun.

Yup, Baader solarfilm is a pretty cheap way of getting shots of the Sun. I cut a piece to the right size and embedded it between two UV filters for getting shots of an eclipse and of sunspots.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/frankhollis/astropix/websize/sunspot.jpg

Post #4, Nov 15, 2008 13:12:12

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,209 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Did you take this today Hollis ? What equip , a lens and camera ?

Post #5, Nov 15, 2008 20:41:54

sponsored links
zoeysmom
Joined Jun 2008
52 posts
Kansas City
[MORE/SHARE]

i actually heard a story of a guy who left his 1D mounted on a tripod, sun hit it just right and burned up the sensor due to the reverse magnification of the lens

Post #6, Nov 15, 2008 22:45:09

troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

Must have had his mirror locked up...

Post #7, Nov 16, 2008 00:53:26

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Photoblogexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Celestron wrote in post #6694672external link
Did you take this today Hollis ? What equip , a lens and camera ?

Thesunspot pic was taken about three years ago. Canon 20D, 70-300mm DO + 1.4x TC, Baader Asrofilm filter, f/8, 1/400s.

Post #8, Nov 16, 2008 01:39:57

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

MacDogg
Joined Apr 2008
93 posts
Austin, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I had my 4" celestron out one day looking at the sun and I started to wonder how hot the light through the eye piece would be unprotected.
I got one of those old steel/aluminum thermometers with the round gauge on top. I put the rod right in front of the eyepiece and the temp shot straight to 200*F and got stuck. I am not sure how hot it would have went to. It also melted a hole straight through a snowball in about 10 seconds!

Post #9, Nov 18, 2008 13:32:52

Noob. Bad eyes, good camera!
Canon Rebel XTi shooter

0ozma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2008
245 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow. thanks for the replies on this guys. Guess I'll steer clear of the sun!

Post #10, Nov 18, 2008 23:34:37

Canon 50D | Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm F/4 L | Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 |
Save $5 on a new Zenfolio account using this code:
3P6-72F-UB8

troypiggo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
4,653 posts
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

Didn't any of you guys burn/melt stuff with a magnifying glass when you were kids? ;)

Post #11, Nov 19, 2008 10:30:59

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Photoblogexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

sponsored links
Adrena1in
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,703 posts
Winchester, Hampshire, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I burnt things with a magnifying glass when I was young. But magnifying glasses are disposable...I wouldn't point my scope anywhere near the sun without my solar-filter attached. (The closests I'll ever get without the solar filter is when I try to shoot the earthshine on a nearly new moon.)

Post #12, Nov 20, 2008 06:30:10

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,141 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting the Sun?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES