FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 16:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Ryan ­ W
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, I'm shooting a Older Couples Wedding on the 22nd of November!
I'm comfortable with my camera, flash, studio strobes etc. but one things I'm not sure about is posing techniques etc.?

Would anybody be able to post some links to weddings like this ... I'm not to sure what to search for ...? Tried 'Older Couples Wedding' etc. But no matches, even some options to search for would be amazing lol! They're about 50ish :)

Oh, BTW, she wants everything relaxed, informal etc. so I'm really excited! :D

Thanks for any opions :D

Post #1, Nov 08, 2008 16:01:26

Canon 400D (XTi), Sigma 24-70 2.8 (LOVE IT!), 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, 50mm f/1.8 Nifty 50, 90-300 mm cheapo! And a new Metz AF-4C Flashgun Woooo.
And a passion for photography.
www.rtwphotography.wor​dpress.comexternal link http://www.flickr.com/​photographs-by-ryanexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't treat them like an old couple, treat them like a couple in love. I photograph people in their 40s and 50s quite often, they act more like teenagers then couples in their 20s.

Here's a link to a blog postexternal link of an older couple. It doesn't really show how fun they were. They cut the cake and I suggested he give her a kiss. He gave her a little peck. I said "no, a proper kiss!", he grabbed her, dipped her, and got her all flustered, I got some great photos!

People are people. Get to know them, what they want, and it will come naturally.

Post #2, Nov 09, 2008 03:06:44

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cchooks
Joined Apr 2008
280 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with Tim and a little soft focus goes a long way with wrinkles. The Image I put up has a little more soft focus than usual, but I was going for effect.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.bazans.com/​webb.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #3, Nov 09, 2008 08:46:09

I Have a Pair of 40Ds
CCHooks

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think soft focus is cliche and does no justice to the lives older people have lived. Each line and wrinkle is a story that should be told, not silenced.

IMHO.

Post #4, Nov 09, 2008 08:50:15

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

LW ­ Dail
Joined May 2007
697 posts
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!
[MORE/SHARE]

cdifoto wrote in post #6652449external link
I think soft focus is cliche and does no justice to the lives older people have lived. Each line and wrinkle is a story that should be told, not silenced.

IMHO.

Ditto! I'm 44 with some wrinkles and sagging. I earned every one of them and they are part of me!

If I was the cutomer, you could ask me how I feel about this. Personally, I'd say I don't give a flip, but they may feel differently.

And explain what you can do - they probably have no idea so show them so before/afters. And explain that pp is not a miracle - if you look like a shar-pei going in, you'll still look like a shar-pei, just a little fuzzier!

Woof, and good luck!

Post #5, Nov 09, 2008 09:21:15

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS (currently in VA, at the hospital!). Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

sponsored links
cchooks
Joined Apr 2008
280 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cdifoto wrote in post #6652449external link

IMHO.

We are not talking about personal preferences. A DJ at a wedding will not just play songs he likes. People have an ideal image of themselves.... sometimes they spend thousands on surgery, sometimes we add a little soft focus. If you do not make the customer aware that this is available to them (if you know how to do it) because you think it is cliche, then you are doing a disservice to them.

Post #6, Nov 09, 2008 10:10:12

I Have a Pair of 40Ds
CCHooks

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cchooks wrote in post #6652763external link
We are not talking about personal preferences. A DJ at a wedding will not just play songs he likes. People have an ideal image of themselves.... sometimes they spend thousands on surgery, sometimes we add a little soft focus. If you do not make the customer aware that this is available to them (if you know how to do it) because you think it is cliche, then you are doing a disservice to them.

A DJ isn't hired because he's an artist with a style unless he's actually mixing. I have never heard a wedding DJ mix like he's at a club. A photographer is hired because he IS an artist with a style. Making photos look like they were shot through gauze is NOT my style.

Post #7, Nov 09, 2008 10:19:07

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

Ryan ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmmm ... SO yeah any other links lol!

Cheers Tim! That really Helps :D

If anyone's got anymore images/blogs for me to check out then let me know :D

Post #8, Nov 09, 2008 15:52:07

Canon 400D (XTi), Sigma 24-70 2.8 (LOVE IT!), 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, 50mm f/1.8 Nifty 50, 90-300 mm cheapo! And a new Metz AF-4C Flashgun Woooo.
www.rtwphotography.wor​dpress.comexternal link http://www.flickr.com/​photographs-by-ryanexternal link

Ryan ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Bit of a problem ... the ceremony starts at 5:30! That means it'll be black! Like Pitch Black!

I'm wondering whether to take my studio lights for the formal shots? because it's all going to be inside lol!I'm getting very nervous now!

Got a Sigma 24-70 2.8 and a load of new batteries and Flash Cards, so think I'm prepared! *gulp*

Post #9, Nov 15, 2008 15:08:13

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Last time I did an indoors wedding with bad lighting that wasn't a church I used two AB800s, bounced off the ceiling, with radio triggers. It worked really well. These days i'd use Speedlites with battery packs, they're powerful enough and much more portable.

Post #10, Nov 15, 2008 18:50:38

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

Ryan ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got two Studio strobes ...

What radio Triggers would you use? I've got a thing that gos ontop of the camera, but it only works if your stood behind the strobe?

Post #11, Nov 16, 2008 12:02:49

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Skyportsexternal link, they work great. Sounds like you need to invest in some books about studio lighting too.

Post #12, Nov 16, 2008 13:09:56

Ryan ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Just realised I really didnt sound like i knew what I was talking about then, lol. Im sure it's an Infra-red commander. But the range isn't particularly good.

I might buy some cheap ones on ebay for the time being, just to play around with, and then some sky ports or PW's later on.

Food for thought!

Thanks for your advice Tim! Really appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Post #13, Nov 16, 2008 13:42:10

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Good luck :)

Post #14, Nov 16, 2008 16:02:14

Ryan ­ W
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
287 posts
Newport South Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi guys!
Forgot to update this :) the wedding was on Saturday and considering the circumstances, I feel it went really well!

I'll be posting some images up on the blog tomorrow so i'll share here too :D

Thanks for all your help! :D

Post #15, Nov 26, 2008 15:50:12

LIST NEARBY THREADS
7,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
Older Couples Wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES