Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of November 2008 (Sat)   #1
Ryan W

Default Older Couples Wedding

Yeah, I'm shooting a Older Couples Wedding on the 22nd of November!
I'm comfortable with my camera, flash, studio strobes etc. but one things I'm not sure about is posing techniques etc.?

Would anybody be able to post some links to weddings like this ... I'm not to sure what to search for ...? Tried 'Older Couples Wedding' etc. But no matches, even some options to search for would be amazing lol! They're about 50ish

Oh, BTW, she wants everything relaxed, informal etc. so I'm really excited!

Thanks for any opions

www.rtwphotography.wordpress.com

Last edited by Ryan W : 8th of November 2008 (Sat) at 17:04.
Ryan W is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #2
tim
Light Bringer

Default Re: Older Couples Wedding

Don't treat them like an old couple, treat them like a couple in love. I photograph people in their 40s and 50s quite often, they act more like teenagers then couples in their 20s.

Here's a link to a blog post of an older couple. It doesn't really show how fun they were. They cut the cake and I suggested he give her a kiss. He gave her a little peck. I said "no, a proper kiss!", he grabbed her, dipped her, and got her all flustered, I got some great photos!

People are people. Get to know them, what they want, and it will come naturally.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #3
cchooks

I agree with Tim and a little soft focus goes a long way with wrinkles. The Image I put up has a little more soft focus than usual, but I was going for effect.

CCHooks
cchooks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #4
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

I think soft focus is cliche and does no justice to the lives older people have lived. Each line and wrinkle is a story that should be told, not silenced.

IMHO.
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #5
LW Dail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
I think soft focus is cliche and does no justice to the lives older people have lived. Each line and wrinkle is a story that should be told, not silenced.

IMHO.
Ditto! I'm 44 with some wrinkles and sagging. I earned every one of them and they are part of me!

If I was the cutomer, you could ask me how I feel about this. Personally, I'd say I don't give a flip, but they may feel differently.

And explain what you can do - they probably have no idea so show them so before/afters. And explain that pp is not a miracle - if you look like a shar-pei going in, you'll still look like a shar-pei, just a little fuzzier!

Woof, and good luck!
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #6
cchooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post

IMHO.

We are not talking about personal preferences. A DJ at a wedding will not just play songs he likes. People have an ideal image of themselves.... sometimes they spend thousands on surgery, sometimes we add a little soft focus. If you do not make the customer aware that this is available to them (if you know how to do it) because you think it is cliche, then you are doing a disservice to them.

CCHooks
cchooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #7
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchooks View Post
We are not talking about personal preferences. A DJ at a wedding will not just play songs he likes. People have an ideal image of themselves.... sometimes they spend thousands on surgery, sometimes we add a little soft focus. If you do not make the customer aware that this is available to them (if you know how to do it) because you think it is cliche, then you are doing a disservice to them.
A DJ isn't hired because he's an artist with a style unless he's actually mixing. I have never heard a wedding DJ mix like he's at a club. A photographer is hired because he IS an artist with a style. Making photos look like they were shot through gauze is NOT my style.
Old 9th of November 2008 (Sun)   #8
Ryan W

Hmmm ... SO yeah any other links lol!

Cheers Tim! That really Helps

If anyone's got anymore images/blogs for me to check out then let me know

Old 15th of November 2008 (Sat)   #9
Ryan W

Bit of a problem ... the ceremony starts at 5:30! That means it'll be black! Like Pitch Black!

I'm wondering whether to take my studio lights for the formal shots? because it's all going to be inside lol!I'm getting very nervous now!

Got a Sigma 24-70 2.8 and a load of new batteries and Flash Cards, so think I'm prepared! *gulp*

Old 15th of November 2008 (Sat)   #10
tim
Light Bringer

Last time I did an indoors wedding with bad lighting that wasn't a church I used two AB800s, bounced off the ceiling, with radio triggers. It worked really well. These days i'd use Speedlites with battery packs, they're powerful enough and much more portable.
Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #11
Ryan W

I've got two Studio strobes ...

What radio Triggers would you use? I've got a thing that gos ontop of the camera, but it only works if your stood behind the strobe?

Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #12
tim
Light Bringer

I use Skyports, they work great. Sounds like you need to invest in some books about studio lighting too.
Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #13
Ryan W

Just realised I really didnt sound like i knew what I was talking about then, lol. Im sure it's an Infra-red commander. But the range isn't particularly good.

I might buy some cheap ones on ebay for the time being, just to play around with, and then some sky ports or PW's later on.

Food for thought!

Thanks for your advice Tim! Really appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #14
tim
Light Bringer

Good luck
Old 26th of November 2008 (Wed)   #15
Ryan W

Hi guys!
Forgot to update this the wedding was on Saturday and considering the circumstances, I feel it went really well!

I'll be posting some images up on the blog tomorrow so i'll share here too

Thanks for all your help!