Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 09 Nov 2008 (Sunday) 02:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

100mm F2.8 Macro(Non USM) Light Loss

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Nov 09, 2008 02:20 |  #1

Hello again everyone.

I would like to know if anyone knows what the light loss of the old 100mm macro is at 1:1? I am shooting in the studio with strobes and the AE does not work so I can not calculate the light loss when I am close to my subject. I always have to shoot tethered and play with the exposure form my light meter(sekonic L758).

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Nov 10, 2008 10:55 |  #2

Bump.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Nov 10, 2008 12:51 |  #3

It will 2 stops, that is just physics and will be the same for all OLE focused lenses or magnification achieved by extension tubes (neglecting papillary magnification).

Interestingly I measure the internal focus USM version also with stops of light loss at 1:1, however at intermediate magnifications the light departs a little from the OLE focus case being slightly higher. Small enough it could be measurement error however.

I used to use manual flash 20-30 years ago so I know the equations for the light loss, this is on macro DOF but the exposure correction factor is listed also http://www.zen20934.ze​n.co.uk ...oF_with_Macro_Photo​graphyexternal link.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

619 views & 0 likes for this thread
100mm F2.8 Macro(Non USM) Light Loss
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.