Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 11 Nov 2008 (Tuesday) 21:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first attempts at HDR

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Nov 11, 2008 21:30 |  #1

C&C welcomed. Not sure if I'm doing it right/wrong. I just slapped a bunch of photos together w/ PS, then tweaked here and there with "local adaptation" and here these be.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

I know I got flaring on #1. Not sure if that was totally avoidable ( or I can just blame it on the 17-55/2.8 ). I think composition wise, I probably could have cropped or cloned out the vball net on the right side of the image as well.

Constructive criticisms welcomed and encouraged. There's plenty room for improvement and I'd like to improve. Thanks in advance.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
disboifan
483 posts
Joined Sep 2005
houston
Nov 11, 2008 21:43 |  #2

these pictures kinda remind me of scott chu's pictures. if you don't know who he is, look him up www.scottchu.comexternal link

i think these are a good start, but the photos don't pop imo. try messing with the shadow/highlights as well as dodge/burn.

flickrexternal link
www.danhphan.comexternal link

aridan
Goldmember
2,846 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Connecticut
Nov 11, 2008 21:45 |  #3

very subtle, i like it

5D Mark III
17-40L | 24-70L | 35L | 85L II | 580EXII | Complete Gear List | Flickrexternal link

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Nov 11, 2008 21:57 |  #4

disboifan wrote in post #6669770external link
these pictures kinda remind me of scott chu's pictures. if you don't know who he is, look him up www.scottchu.comexternal link

i think these are a good start, but the photos don't pop imo. try messing with the shadow/highlights as well as dodge/burn.

Yeah, they could use a lil more "pop". Looks like it's time for me to learn about tweaking shadow/highlights, dodge/burn.

BTW, thanks for the link. I've got a looOOOOOOOOOoooong ways to go before I'm anywhere near Scott's ballpark.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

black_z
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 12, 2008 16:59 |  #5

disboifan wrote in post #6669770external link

Some nice stuff on there! :)

Canon 30D
Canon 50/1.8 100/2.8
Photosexternal link

PhotosGuy
74,878 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Nov 12, 2008 19:44 |  #6

White cars aren't easy & you've got nice light on #2.

I think composition wise, I probably could have cropped or cloned out the vball net on the right side of the image as well.

I'd have cropped 3/4 of the image out to make it a car shot instead of a car + landscape shot. I don't mind the nets, since it's a beach. People at a net would have been nice?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

hene-
49 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Finland
Nov 13, 2008 04:45 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #7

I think this pictures are very nice. Not too heavy hdr, i like it.
And landscape belongs to this pics!

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Nov 13, 2008 09:53 |  #8

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think I might look into getting Photomatix for more HDR tweaking. Downloaded the PS plug-in trial version and realized it seems to be more versatile (or at least dumbed down enough for me) to make the HDR have more of that "pop".

Julian

aridan
Goldmember
2,846 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Connecticut
Nov 13, 2008 14:07 |  #9

jwcdds wrote in post #6669704external link
I probably could have cropped or cloned out the vball net on the right side of the image as well.

I actually like the stacked nets. They add a nice element. I would however clone out the trash bin. :)

5D Mark III
17-40L | 24-70L | 35L | 85L II | 580EXII | Complete Gear List | Flickrexternal link

cpu2k
31 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Nov 14, 2008 14:11 as a reply to aridan's post |  #10

great shots... taking the v-ball nets out would make the pics even better...

sponsored links

1,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first attempts at HDR
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.