Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #1
TwinMommy402

Default Speedlight/flash question

Hi,
I am as amateur as they come, so hope this isn't too silly to ask?

After 3 years of having my Rebel XT, I am trying to venture off Auto and shoot on Manual. I am just learning and no so little.

When do you use your flash or speedlight?

Do you ever not use them, if so when?

Thanks for all your input!

Jenn
TwinMommy402 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #2
Skid

Default Re: Speedlight/flash question

I've had my 400D (XTi) for a little over a year, and I've always loved natural light (prefer the look) - so I've always shot without a flash. I've just recently bought one, and am having some fun with it (for example, you can change the light it fires by adding gels in front of the flash head - and change background colours of walls, etc). Indoors, I find it difficult to shoot, unless near a window (with a flash) - so now I'm bouncing the flash off the celing, and am getting much nicer exposed photos.

A great place to read up about it is http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash

I started there - almost through it all, and then onto the strobist blog - http://strobist.blogspot.com/

I've also asked a million questions here
Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #3
TwinMommy402

Thank you.
I find some times when I shoot without a flash on manual, my pics are kind of blurry. Probably cause I have no clue which settings to use yet.

I have so much to learn!
Anyone live in NYC and wanna teach me?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #4
jcolman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMommy402 View Post
Thank you.
I find some times when I shoot without a flash on manual, my pics are kind of blurry. Probably cause I have no clue which settings to use yet.

I have so much to learn!
Anyone live in NYC and wanna teach me?
They are blurry most likely due to camera movement and/or subject movement. You should really pick up a book on basic photography and learn the camera settings. Otherwise, you're just going to be frustrated when your pictures don't turn out.

Here's a short tutorial on photography 101 I wrote for another forum a while ago. Maybe it will help you.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2292040
Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #5
TwinMommy402

Thanks off to read!
Old 12th of November 2008 (Wed)   #6
Curtis N
Master Flasher

Flash allows you to add light to a scene. There are many reasons for doing so, such as
1) Available light quantity sucks (too dark)
2) Available light quality sucks (ugly puke green fluorescent or sodium vapor)
3) Available light harsh, or coming from the wrong direction (sunny day)
4) To equalize exposure of subject and background (shaded subject with sunny background)
5) To make your subject brighter than the background
6) To freeze motion of a moving subject

Flash also has its drawbacks. It limits your shutter speed, can be distracting and annoying to subjects, requires recycle time between shots, and may be a different color temperature than the ambient light.

The ability to add light to a scene makes the difference between capturing an image and creating an image. It can take your photography to a whole new level.

As you venture into the world of flash, just remember that every flash photograph is two exposures in one: An ambient light exposure and a flash exposure. You will need to learn to think about the two exposures separately and learn to manage both.

Its an exciting world, but there is a serious learning curve.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2008 (Thu)   #7
agedbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis N View Post

The ability to add light to a scene makes the difference between capturing an image and creating an image. It can take your photography to a whole new level.
How true!

That's why I'm now doing my best to finally learn flash, after decades of disdain.
agedbriar is offline   Reply With Quote