Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of November 2008 (Thu)   #1
stetsonaw

Default Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro

Could we get some wide open and narrow shots? and how's the VC when shooting at 270 handheld?

Info on this lens

Last edited by stetsonaw : 21st of November 2008 (Fri) at 19:50.
stetsonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of November 2008 (Sat)   #2
stetsonaw

Default Re: Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro

Test drove one today.
some wide open shots at 18mm

and the VC at 270 is amazing. i was really jittery and this is how it turned out at 270...

Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #3
Snow001

Thanks for posting. Please post more pics! I am really really interested in this lens and am planning to use it as my walk around outdoor tourist lens.
Snow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of November 2008 (Sun)   #4
stetsonaw

my apologies, these are the only pictures i took of it.
Old 17th of November 2008 (Mon)   #5
Snow001

Thank again for posting. I am hearing a lot of good things about the VC on this lens. I need all the help I can get when I take my vacation shots
Will wait for more pix from other POTN members.
Snow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of November 2008 (Fri)   #6
stetsonaw

bought this lens today!! the VC is SICK. at 270 i had to actually move the camera to get the image to jump. i'll post some shots tomorrow (hopefully), both wide open and telephoto. 50mm/4.0 shoots NICE too.
Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #7
BOF

Many thanks for posting these examples. I'm seriously considering this lens - it looks pretty impressive. If you could post some more examples it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

40D; Canon 24-105mm f4L IS USM; Canon 50mm f1.4 USM; Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC

Last edited by BOF : 24th of November 2008 (Mon) at 13:25.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #8
SoundsGood

For those of you that have used this 18-270 lens and Tamron's 28-75 lens, could you please help me with this post?

Thanks very much!

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GG
SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #9
katodog
Goldmember

I'm expecting my Tamron, this week I hope, and among the things I'll be doing with it, a comparison test will be done between it and the Sigma 18-200mm OS. I will be posting results of the test in a different thread, but sample photos will be added here. I'm eager to get some shots since there aren't a lot of samples with this lens. Hopefully my shots will be good enough to tell the tale of how good or bad the lens is.

There's another thread in which a member has said that his copy was not good, that he was having an issue with the VC throwing focus off. Hopefully this won't be the case with my version, and there won't be any other issues.

So, stay tuned boys and girls, hopefully soon I can get some shots up. If there's any requests for particular shots, let me know. We'll have the family over for Thanksgiving, so there's going to be plenty of people-shots to shoot if the lens comes in time, and I can always run out to the lake down the street for landscape and wildlife shots.

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #10
katodog
Goldmember

Well, looks like it won't be here in time for T-day. I just got the shipping notice today. But, in any event, when it gets here it will be put through its paces, and photos will be posted.

Stay tuned...

Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #11
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

eagerly awaiting your test shots
(I have the VC softness problem)
gabebalazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2008 (Mon)   #12
katodog
Goldmember

Okay, the shipping notice updated, and it looks like I'll get it on Wednesday. Which will be perfect. If the day is clear, I'll run down to the lake and shoot some stuff, and it'll get enough use on Thursday with the family here that I should be able to get pics up by Thursday night or Friday morning.

Edit: I Googled the lens, to see if any more shots came up, and there are some customer shots on Amazon with the lens. They didn't look bad at all. You guys should jump over and check them out. Some are easy to see that he used a high ISO, but overall the shots look good.

Amazon Customer Pics

They were shot on a Nikon body, but I'm sure they're indicative of what you can expect.

Last edited by katodog : 24th of November 2008 (Mon) at 20:56.
Old 26th of November 2008 (Wed)   #13
katodog
Goldmember

I got the lens today, and I can see what the issue is with the VC knocking focus out. On my other stabilized lenses, the OS/IS kicks on before focus is locked. On the Tamron, the VC kicks on after focus is achieved. A simple double-pump of the shutter assures focus. I'm used to the double-pump from using my Bigmos, so it's not an issue. So far my preliminary thoughts are that it's a capable lens, but I won't know full details until I give it the real-world run through.

Here are some preliminary shots. The first is with the onboard flash, and the only thing done was a crop, resize, and brightness/contrast.

This one was with the flash, and had the same done, crop, resize and brightness/contrast

This was was cropped. The focus point is on the bottom glaive, about between the bottom of the glaive and where the light reflection is.

These are both full-frame crops with nothing done. Top one is flash, bottom is not.

I will get some more shots done either later today or tomorrow. These were all at 18mm, with the VC on. I can easily tell that the VC can knock focus out, since it kicks on after focus is achieved. It's pretty evident, where on other stabilized lenses the actions are a lot closer together, with the focus taken pace after the OS/IS systems kick on. Also, there seems to be a lot going on internally, there's a lot of commotion now and then. But, focus is fast, and it is accurate. The only issue is the late VC kick, but a quick double-pump of the shutter alleviates that issue.

A few shots I took outside were iffy, and I'm still going over them to see what the problem was.

Old 26th of November 2008 (Wed)   #14
katodog
Goldmember

Here are two shots at 270mm. Both are the same shot, only one is resized 50%, and the other is the full frame crop.

Old 26th of November 2008 (Wed)   #15
katodog
Goldmember

If anyone has a suggestion of a good test subject, let me know. For the next few days I'll be limited by what's around the house, since the inlaws are coming in today, and tomorrow is "Eat like a pig and then pass out" day. So, any thoughts of what I can shoot are appreciated. I will shoot some family portrait shots with both the Tamron and the Sigma 18-200mm to compare the two.