Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #1
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Default Great Sunset Opportunity Dec 1st

Hey everyone , wan to get some great sunset images ? December 1st , 2008 after 6:30pm on the western horizon the Moon , Jupiter & Venus will make a triangle in the western sky . Find a good spot and hopefully it will be a clear horizon . You may want to do some test shots the night before of the horizon . Use your timer and a tripod with a wide-angle lens around 18-40mm . Do some trial and error shots readjusting the f/stop if you shoot manual mode . I've had some great shots before using the night mode /no flash . Just push the shutter button and it will stop when it thinks it has absorbed enough own it's own . I've posted a sky map for Dec 1st and an example of a horizon shot i'm talking about . If you feel excited to do this then post your results in the regular astronomy section . Good luck and clear skies !!!

Last edited by Celestron : 4th of January 2010 (Mon) at 14:10.
Celestron is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #2
Adrena1in

Default Re: Great Sunset Opportunity Dec 1st

Nice one, I've also just posted a thread about the moon, Jupiter and Venus being close together, when I heard about it on another thread. I thought I'd suggest a challenge to see who can shoot the best shot of the event. Now we know what time it's going to happen, so thanks for that.
Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #3
Sorarse
Goldmember

As an aside, can I ask Celestron what program you are using to get that skyview prediction?

Thanks.

http://www.scarecrowimages.com
Canon PowerShot G2
Sorarse is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #4
FarmerDave8N

That looks like Cartes du Ciel - not sure if it's 2.76 or the version 3 Beta - if you want to grab it, version 3 is pretty stable.

Here's a good run-down of various planetarium software from amateur astronomer and author Rod Mollise.

He glossed over the WorldWide Telescope from Microsoft Research - it's great iff you're connected to the internet - and free.

David
FarmerDave8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #5
Adrena1in

I've just realised, the software that came with my Meade DSI can do that sort of Planetarium stuff. I ought to try it.
Old 14th of November 2008 (Fri)   #6
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorarse View Post
As an aside, can I ask Celestron what program you are using to get that skyview prediction?

Thanks.
David was correct in saying it was Cartes du Ceil program . It's probably the best free program out there and gives great sky print offs in color or b&w . You can also download extra things for it like more stars , extra galaxie locations , Milkyway . The only thing it will give you a realtime image of tho is just the moon and planets but not the Sun or nebulaes or galaxies . There are other programs that do give realtime images but they cost $$ and more than i care to pay for something i wont use that often . Also i never use the BETA programs , i always get the latest version which is 2.76 . I will be excited when the 3.0 BETA turns in to a final release tho !
Celestron is offline   Reply With Quote