FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 14 Nov 2008 (Friday) 00:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,209 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey everyone , wan to get some great sunset images ? December 1st , 2008 after 6:30pm on the western horizon the Moon , Jupiter & Venus will make a triangle in the western sky . Find a good spot and hopefully it will be a clear horizon . You may want to do some test shots the night before of the horizon . Use your timer and a tripod with a wide-angle lens around 18-40mm . Do some trial and error shots readjusting the f/stop if you shoot manual mode . I've had some great shots before using the night mode /no flash . Just push the shutter button and it will stop when it thinks it has absorbed enough own it's own . I've posted a sky map for Dec 1st and an example of a horizon shot i'm talking about . If you feel excited to do this then post your results in the regular astronomy section . Good luck and clear skies !!!

Post #1, Nov 14, 2008 00:03:00

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Adrena1in
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,703 posts
Winchester, Hampshire, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice one, I've also just posted a thread about the moon, Jupiter and Venus being close together, when I heard about it on another thread. I thought I'd suggest a challenge to see who can shoot the best shot of the event. Now we know what time it's going to happen, so thanks for that.

Post #2, Nov 14, 2008 07:03:03

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Sorarse
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
2,193 posts
Kent, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

As an aside, can I ask Celestron what program you are using to get that skyview prediction?

Thanks.

Post #3, Nov 14, 2008 07:37:18

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.comexternal link
Canon PowerShot G2

FarmerDave8N
Joined Oct 2008
126 posts
Northern Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

That looks like Cartes du Ciel - not sure if it's 2.76 or the version 3 Beta - if you want to grab it, version 3 is pretty stable.

Here's a good run-down of various planetarium softwareexternal link from amateur astronomer and author Rod Mollise.

He glossed over the WorldWide Telescopeexternal link from Microsoft Research - it's great iff you're connected to the internet - and free.

David

Post #4, Nov 14, 2008 07:55:32

flickrexternal link
my flickr favoritesexternal link
astrojargon.netexternal link

Adrena1in
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,703 posts
Winchester, Hampshire, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I've just realised, the software that came with my Meade DSI can do that sort of Planetarium stuff. I ought to try it.

Post #5, Nov 14, 2008 08:03:13

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,209 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorarse wrote in post #6684525external link
As an aside, can I ask Celestron what program you are using to get that skyview prediction?

Thanks.

David was correct in saying it was Cartes du Ceilexternal link program . It's probably the best free program out there and gives great sky print offs in color or b&w . You can also download extra things for it like more stars , extra galaxie locations , Milkyway . The only thing it will give you a realtime image of tho is just the moon and planets but not the Sun or nebulaes or galaxies . There are other programs that do give realtime images but they cost $$ and more than i care to pay for something i wont use that often . Also i never use the BETA programs , i always get the latest version which is 2.76 . I will be excited when the 3.0 BETA turns in to a final release tho !

Post #6, Nov 14, 2008 08:51:07

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great Sunset Opportunity Dec 1st
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES