Thread started 28 Feb 2005 (Monday) 21:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

RJSorensen
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
1,706 posts
Near Tin Cup, Wyoming, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I am in the market for a new ball head. I have been using the Bogen pistol grips on tripods to this point, and they have worked just wonderfully. The weight of the Canon 100-400 is causing some 'creep' and I have tightened up the adjuster to the point that it is time to look for something else. I would like a nice product but have limited access to 'real world' products. I am the only one I know that shoots anything other than 'snapshots.'

I see there are real ball heads that look like they would take the weight of my dream 3Kmm lens, lol, at some point. I need something that is fast to pan on bids on the wing and yet will setup fast for 'Rock Steady' shots as well.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend for me. I have a Bogen 3001, 3033 & monopod now, all with the pistol grip noted. Link attached: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...etails&Q=&sku=5558&​is=REGexternal link

So please share what you like and what you don't, share your dream head with me and then something that a fellow can afford.

Post #1, Feb 28, 2005 21:17:21

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

If you are trying to shoot flying birds with a long lens, then you almost need a Wimberly head, or something close to that.

---Bob Gross---

Post #2, Feb 28, 2005 21:50:48

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,760 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Robert has a point,. but the Wimberly (and the sort of similar Manfrotto) are huge "gimble mount" heads, and not much use for anything but huge lenses.

A good solid "normal" ballhead will solve a lot of your problems,. and many will in fact handle the weight of a huge tele prime,. although they won't be as fast to use as a Gimble mount.

Bogen/manfrottos larger ballheads will do the job, as will Acratech, Kirk, RRS, Arca, Graf, Giottos etc..

Check the Tripod "sticky" in "Talk about Photography" .. there is quite a little treasure trove there.

Post #3, Feb 28, 2005 23:02:01

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

I keep thinking about this, and I never get to the point of starting it, but I've been interested in constructing my own gimbal-type head for a long lens (a 100-400). Instead of making it "single-sided" like a Wimberly, I've thought of making it symmetrical with the lens hanging inverted. <sigh> But I would have to find some metal-working tools and a brake bar and some moderately hard alloy metal.

---Bob Gross---

Post #4, Mar 01, 2005 00:31:04 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 1 hour earlier.

bballboy30
Joined Jul 2004
126 posts
near Lawrence, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

Bob,

Instead of making one you could buy a Bogen/Manfrotto 3421 Head for about $150.

Alex

Post #5, Mar 01, 2005 07:44:07

sponsored links
scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2003
5,430 posts
Brooklyn, NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

bballboy30 wrote:
Bob,

Alex

Ya beat me to it!
Scott

Post #6, Mar 01, 2005 08:12:11 as a reply to bballboy30's post 28 minutes earlier.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
Joined Nov 2003
12,842 posts
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got a Bogen 490RC4 which is a monster ballhead with tension control. I like it a lot, despite it's size, and use it all the time with my 100-400. It's never failed, and does things almost perfectly. $170.

The Acratech Ultimate ballhead is pretty darn close to perfect I'd say, after having checked out IanD's. It's sweet. But another $100...plus an Arca-type QR plate... That's almost twice the price.

The Bogen gimbal, though inexpensive, is a monster that I just can't justify. It's just too big. If they came out with a model 1/2 or even 2/3 the size I might reconsider. It really is big.

Post #7, Mar 01, 2005 08:39:47

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

Rokkorfan
Joined Feb 2005
256 posts
Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I just got the Markins M10 ballhead after a lot of research, and I can't rave about it enough. It is a fantastic head, rated by many as better than Arca-swiss, and with no delays in delivery (unlike the RRS heads with waits of 6 weeks or so). Cost was $310, and it is worth every penny.

Post #8, Mar 01, 2005 09:23:02

Professional wedding photographer based in Coffs Harbour, NSW Australiaexternal link
Links: Website external link| Blogexternal link | How to photograph a weddingexternal link

RJSorensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
1,706 posts
Near Tin Cup, Wyoming, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I hate to share my lack of knowledge & information on such . . . but I only know of RC2 Bogen plates. What are these RC4 and or RC5 systems. Are they better? I just looked up Scottes 490RC4 head and thus found he is using a different attachment plate as well. If I am up to a 'better' head perhaps I should look for a better attachment method(s) as well. Everything I own is now RC2 X three heads.

CDS thanks for the point to the sticky thread as well. You are the Best. It seems to be a brave new world out there for one as me tucked away in the back waters of the world, let alone high tech photo gear.

My thanks to all whom are able to help and or point me toward a system that will 'steady up' my much improved Canon gear.

Post #9, Mar 01, 2005 09:35:41

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

bballboy30 wrote:

Excellent. Send me the cash and I will get right on it.

---Bob Gross---

Post #10, Mar 01, 2005 09:42:24 as a reply to bballboy30's post 1 hour earlier.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

robertwgross wrote:
Excellent. Send me the cash and I will get right on it.

---Bob Gross---

I cannot recall such an unselfish gesture. Bob, you are a prince of a guy.

Post #11, Mar 01, 2005 10:44:11 as a reply to robertwgross's post 1 hour earlier.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
Joined Nov 2003
12,842 posts
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The RC4 plates are quite large - they seem like they're more for medium or large format. They're really big.

If I could have gotten the 490 with RC2 I'd be happier. (Not that I'm sad, but the RC4 is a little too big sometimes.)

Post #12, Mar 01, 2005 12:13:23

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,760 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Bob,.. I don't have the cash,. so I think your Idea is better,. You build me one! :lol:

Post #13, Mar 01, 2005 12:14:55

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

Mike ­ Panic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
1,636 posts
pa
[MORE/SHARE]

check my review of bogen's grip action ball head: http://www.iphotoforum​.com/forum/viewtopic.p​hp?t=12527external link

Post #14, Mar 01, 2005 12:15:45

MikePanic.comexternal link photography | web design | social media | content creation
CripsyHundos.comexternal link instagram photos for your viewing pleasure

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Bob,.. I don't have the cash,. so I think your Idea is better,. You build me one! :lol:

I could make it out of anodized black metal, or I could paint it L white and charge triple for it.

---Bob Gross---

Post #15, Mar 01, 2005 17:52:15 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 5 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
13,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
(looking for a) New Ball Head . . .
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES