FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 19 Nov 2008 (Wednesday) 15:57   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

nick ­ j
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2008
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so I have read the review on the sx10 is and i am sold. So for taking indoor close ups should i be buying an external flash? If so which one?

Post #1, Nov 19, 2008 15:57:33

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,179 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Close-ups? How close? 3-5 yards? 3-5 ft? 3-5 in? Different answer for each of those.

Post #2, Nov 19, 2008 20:15:15

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nick ­ j
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2008
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

3-12 inches sorry

Post #3, Nov 19, 2008 23:08:20

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,179 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

For that close up, you're going to need to get the flash off the camera, so you'll need an off-camera shoe cord (a "flash extension cord", as it were, with a hot shoe at one end and a "foot" to fit in the camera's hot shoe at the other). On-camera, it's going to have a hard time lighting your subject evenly, both because it won't be able to bend far enough down and because, especially up close, it may not be able to give a short enough burst of light for a properly-exposed picture. But using the on-camera flash would probably give you a shadow from the lens on your subject. With the off-camera shoe cord and a Speedlite 430EX (maybe even a Speedlite 220EX, if macro's your principal need) you should be OK. You'll be able to move the flash around so it lights your subject, and if necessary use some white paper or cardboard to reflect some of the flash output back from the other side of your subject.

Post #4, Nov 20, 2008 09:09:52

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

PhotoFranz
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,626 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the SX10 and for in our home, the onboard flash seems good. In fact, I have been taking pictures with the flash compensation at -1 or -2. I have a Sigma EF 530 DG ST that I used on my XTi. I have tested it on the SX10 and it seemed to work well, but I have not actually taken any shots with it yet. I will use it when in larger spaces or for fill flash outside in darker times and places.

I have taken several "portrait" type shots that could be considered closeups. I got good exposure using the built-in flash, with flash comp set to -2 and zooming in from across the room.

Post #5, Nov 20, 2008 09:42:38

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photofranz/external link
Camera: Fujifilm HS 50 EXR 42X zoom, Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG ST, Vegas Movie Studio 9.0, Noiseware Standard Edition, Photoshop Elements-11, Photomatix Essentials. I am here to learn from the experts.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
SX10IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES