Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of November 2008 (Wed)   #1
nick j

Default SX10IS

Ok so I have read the review on the sx10 is and i am sold. So for taking indoor close ups should i be buying an external flash? If so which one?
nick j is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2008 (Wed)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: SX10IS

Close-ups? How close? 3-5 yards? 3-5 ft? 3-5 in? Different answer for each of those.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of November 2008 (Wed)   #3
nick j

3-12 inches sorry
nick j is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of November 2008 (Thu)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

For that close up, you're going to need to get the flash off the camera, so you'll need an off-camera shoe cord (a "flash extension cord", as it were, with a hot shoe at one end and a "foot" to fit in the camera's hot shoe at the other). On-camera, it's going to have a hard time lighting your subject evenly, both because it won't be able to bend far enough down and because, especially up close, it may not be able to give a short enough burst of light for a properly-exposed picture. But using the on-camera flash would probably give you a shadow from the lens on your subject. With the off-camera shoe cord and a Speedlite 430EX (maybe even a Speedlite 220EX, if macro's your principal need) you should be OK. You'll be able to move the flash around so it lights your subject, and if necessary use some white paper or cardboard to reflect some of the flash output back from the other side of your subject.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of November 2008 (Thu)   #5
PhotoFranz

I have the SX10 and for in our home, the onboard flash seems good. In fact, I have been taking pictures with the flash compensation at -1 or -2. I have a Sigma EF 530 DG ST that I used on my XTi. I have tested it on the SX10 and it seemed to work well, but I have not actually taken any shots with it yet. I will use it when in larger spaces or for fill flash outside in darker times and places.

I have taken several "portrait" type shots that could be considered closeups. I got good exposure using the built-in flash, with flash comp set to -2 and zooming in from across the room.
Camera: Fujifilm HS 50 EXR 42X zoom, Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG ST, Vegas Movie Studio 9.0, Noiseware Standard Edition, Photoshop Elements-11, Photomatix Essentials. I am here to learn from the experts.

Last edited by PhotoFranz : 20th of November 2008 (Thu) at 09:44.
PhotoFranz is offline   Reply With Quote