Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #1
charltonm

Default tamron 18-270 vc or sigma 18-200 os

Firstly, being a newbie I'd like to say hi to everyone on here and hopefully you can all help me one day share some amazing photo's on here like i've been looking at recently !!!

Right i've only been into photography for about 6months but i've got the bug, i'm looking to get a new lense for cristmas and was looking at either the tamron 18-270vc or sigma 18-200 os. I've read endless reviews about both but still unsure what to go with whats your views/advice. I'm using a 400D and like shooting all types of photography !!

What do you all think of these lenses, or would you suggest something totally different ?

many thanks

charlton
charltonm is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #2
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: tamron 18-270 vc or sigma 18-200 os

I just got my Tamron yesterday and already discovered a problem. The VC throws the focus off. I hope I just received a bad copy, but if not, this is a serious design flaw. Otherwise the VC is great, slightly better than the IS on my 55-250 Canon, but if it screws up the focus, it's unusable. Lens is reasonably sharp, no problem there.

look at my pics in this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=603181
gabebalazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #3
katodog
Goldmember

I have the Sig, and it's an excellent lens, but I'm still waiting for more test shots with the Tamron to see if I'll switch over to it. The Sig is an excellent lens, and produces excellent shots, but I'm all about range. If I can get the same results or better with the Tamron, I'd go for it. But, so far there aren't a lot of shots in the forum to look at for the Tamron.

It's a tempting thing, though, just to buy it and test it out myself and show the results myself. Which, now that I've typed that, I think I'm off to find me a Tamron today. Great, now see what you've done?!?

My Gear - Flickr - Facebook
Smoke Photography - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #4
katodog
Goldmember

Gabebalazs, I was typing my post as you were doing yours.

I may still buy the Tamron and try it myself, I can't resist the urge to test it out against the Sig. I think maybe you either got a bad copy, which is possible since the lens is so new on the market, or it's just a matter of getting used to a new lens. You'[re shooting with a Nikon, correct? I wonder if maybe there's an issue between lens/camera body that might not show up on a different body, like another Nikon or a Canon body.

Just a thought. I'm shooting Canon stuff, so I wonder if the problem would show up for me. I guess now the only way to know is to go out and pick up the Tamron and see for myself. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, since I'm probably going to pick one up anyway to test it against my Sig. It's too bad there isn't a lot on the lens in the forums by way of test shots. I'd like to see more shots and see what other people are shooting with and how their results are.

Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #5
charltonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabebalazs View Post
I just got my Tamron yesterday and already discovered a problem. The VC throws the focus off. I hope I just received a bad copy, but if not, this is a serious design flaw. Otherwise the VC is great, slightly better than the IS on my 55-250 Canon, but if it screws up the focus, it's unusable. Lens is reasonably sharp, no problem there.

look at my pics in this thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=603181
thanks for the link, i've been keeping an eye on that thread anyway, hopefully it is just a one off fault. look forward to hearing the outcome !!
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #6
charltonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodog View Post
I have the Sig, and it's an excellent lens, but I'm still waiting for more test shots with the Tamron to see if I'll switch over to it. The Sig is an excellent lens, and produces excellent shots, but I'm all about range. If I can get the same results or better with the Tamron, I'd go for it. But, so far there aren't a lot of shots in the forum to look at for the Tamron.

It's a tempting thing, though, just to buy it and test it out myself and show the results myself. Which, now that I've typed that, I think I'm off to find me a Tamron today. Great, now see what you've done?!?
sorry, deepest apologies. look forward to seeing the results though !!
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #7
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

Katodog, I use a Canon 40D, so it's puzzling... I thought I was safe because I use the Tamron with a Canon.
I'm not sure if you saw my pictures in the other thread but the problem is clearly visible at 18mm when comparing VC and non-VC shots.
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #8
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

Katodog, if you pick up the Tamron, could you please take test shots at 18mm of some detailed pattern WITH and WITHOUT VC so we can see if you have the same problem or not?
thanks
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #9
katodog
Goldmember

Well, now my fate is sealed. Now I simply have to get the Tamron. I can't let all this great hub-bub go untouched. I'll do as many tests as I can. My favorite was always taking pictures of graph paper. It showed the nasty curvature on my Fuji camera easily. I'd suspect that my Sig isn't totally perfect at 18mm, but so far I've really enjoyed owning it. Once I get off this post I'm going to run some tests on it to see what it does.

Now I'm off to see where I can find the Tamron. I might just buy it online and wait for it to come. The Wolf camera by me doesn't have diddly. I went in there the other day expecting to drool when I hit the door, but instead got the feeling that they were catering to the "Everyday Schmoe" and didn't do much amateur/pro stuff. Looked more like a place to get prints, they didn't have much gear there. The latest body they had was a 30D. And very slim pickings on lenses. A ton of P&S, digital picture frames, etc.. No Canon White to be seen, and very slim pickings on Canon and Nikon gear.

But, that's their loss.

Well, during typing this I ordered one, so once it gets here I'll let everyone know and post the test shots.

Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #10
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

Gabebalazs, are you giving the VR time to settle down before you take your shot? it takes the gyros a fraction of a second to stabilize before you take the shot.

Last edited by runninmann : 22nd of November 2008 (Sat) at 12:11. Reason: Directed question to the wrong post
runninmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #11
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Here is a direct comparison of the megazooms.
http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/superzoomtest

Optically, I think Tamron is the one to get. I'm not sure once you take cost into factor as the Tamron is over $200 more expensive than the Sigma though.

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #12
charltonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninmann View Post
Charlton, are you giving the VR time to settle down before you take your shot? it takes the gyros a fraction of a second to stabilize before you take the shot.
it wasn't me that had the problem of bf, I think this must be for gabebalazs !!!

look forward to seeing this thread progress though !!
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #13
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

Runninmann, are you perhaps asking me regarding VR (VC on Tamron)?

There is always enough time for the stabilizer to settle. The blurryness exists with VC on even when I take a test shot with the 2 sec timer on my 40D, tripod or not, small or big aperture, it doesn't matter.

Also, using the live view on my camera on a tripod, 10x magnification and manual focus, I focus manually to as sharp as possible, then half press shutter with the VC On, lo-and-behold the image gets slightly out of focus as soon as the VC kicks in. I take my finger off the shutter, a second later the VC disengages, SHARP FOCUS RETURNS to live view. Same happens with AF too.

I have a Canon 55-250 IS which has none of these symptoms.

here are 2 pictures to compare, 100% around the center. Excuse my wierd subject (a painting done by my wife)

you can see the difference. I've done this with different subjects probably 50 times, same results

Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #14
gabebalazs
Cream of the Crop

Tee Why, I've read that test, it's a great comparison thanks to Lightrules.

I've messaged him and he told me he took all test shots with the VC (OS, IS) OFF on all the lenses. Soooo... I can never learn if he had that problem or not with the VC on.
Wihtout VC mine is sharp too.
Old 22nd of November 2008 (Sat)   #15
katodog
Goldmember

I'll let everyone know when I get mine if the problem occurs. But so far, the little bit that's been on the forums, no one has made the same statements, so I don't know if it's going to be common or if you got a bad copy.

Regardless, you should send it back, and possibly get a newer one to test. Or maybe you're one of the lucky ones who has a decent camera shop nearby, take it to them and see if they have another. Hopefully you just have a bad apple, since I would not be too happy if the one I bought does the same thing. But, I'll have to wait for it to arrive to know.