digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
3,003 posts
Henrico, Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.wired.com .../12/gallery_photode​tectorexternal link

Post #1, Dec 01, 2008 07:08:55

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2007
6,220 posts
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I wonder how soon it will be before one of the camera manufacturers buys this work up?

Post #2, Dec 01, 2008 07:21:41

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
3,003 posts
Henrico, Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

I wonder what it will do for lenses..since they won't have to compsenate for the difference between a curved lense and a flat chip..will they get lighter, smaller etc..?

Post #3, Dec 01, 2008 08:55:18 as a reply to neilwood32's post 1 hour earlier.

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
Joined Jun 2006
4,269 posts
Maidenhead, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

digirebelva wrote in post #6790627external link
I wonder what it will do for lenses..since they won't have to compsenate for the difference between a curved lense and a flat chip..will they get lighter, smaller etc..?

It won't do anything for lenses, at least in the SLR world. The manufacturers have to worry about compatibility. No point introducing a new sensor if it means (a) none of your existing lenses work with it, and (b) the new lenses which you make for it don't work with any previous cameras. It would be a much bigger change than Canon's FD-to-EF switch in the 1980s, because at least then all they were redesigning was the mount and the electronics, not the entire optical configuration.

Post #4, Dec 04, 2008 02:51:14

www.LensesForHire.co.u​kexternal link - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Catsexternal link | London by dayexternal link | London by nightexternal link I My POTN photo sharing threadsexternal link | Official "Where Am I Now?" archiveexternal link
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

tiziano
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,445 posts
Italy, Rome
[MORE/SHARE]

The idea of a curved sensor is old, and not revolutionary. Film cameras have been produced this way for managing distortion in panoramic images. Not a winning technology.
More interesting is the nano size of the photo sensors, but... I guess that, because technology for sensors is already close to the limits of the resolving capabilities of lenses, the vantages will be limited, until there is a breakthrough in opticts.

Post #5, Dec 04, 2008 03:45:10

Tiziano
Gear list

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
705 views & 0 likes for this thread
Happy Accident Opens Door to Cheaper, Higher-Resolution Cameras
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES